“Great hotel location for beer tasting with smaller rooms”

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Amenities and service were very good, but was surprised at the smaller than average rooms. Understand tourist draw and closeness to sights and sounds of Asheville. An ideal location for walking to local beer sights.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Asheville Hotel

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I have visited this hotel several times and since my last visits I would say that the hotel is slipping.
While I would say that overall it is still quite a good hotel with a pretty good location on the edge of downtown, close to the attractive Pack Square, it is in need of attention and they seem to want to cut corners
The lobby is attractive and the rooms are okay but need updating. The showers particularly.
Overall the service was good.
I was disappointed that they allow smoking throughout the covered outdoor patio area -- this is unnecessary, it should be divided into smoking allowed and prohibited area.
In the gym one of the machines was not working properly and another had a smashed screen which posed a small safety risk and rendered the machine inoperable.
They really seem to be trying to cut corners in their club lounge and the food offerings there could only be rated as poor -- I am staying in another Renaissance this week and it is WAY better than Asheville.
They also do not seem to believe in recycling or healthy food options.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank neilmj
Renaissance AVL R, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We value and appreciate your constructive feedback. Your comments have been shared with our management team so that we can work together to improve these issues.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I recently had the opportunity to spend a night at the Renaissance Asheville Hotel while speaking at a conference that was held in the property's meeting and banquet rooms. As others have commented, the hotel's greatest asset is its location, which puts virtually all of downtown Asheville within a quick walk. Additionally, the lobby area is quite stylish, and the staff seemed to be very engaged with the guests and the other participants in the conference.

That said, the facility is old, and the amenities a bit threadbare. For instance, many of the conference rooms were cramped and really were not able to accommodate both participants and presentation equipment like screens and a/v carts. Similarly, the HVAC system seemed old and seemed to struggle to maintain adequate room temperatures yet also was very loud.

The bedroom itself was a good size with decent amenities of the type common in a hotel of this class. At the same time, the bathroom was extremely small, and I wound up slamming my shin into the toilet and developing a a sizable black and blue mark. The bathroom also had roaches. In fact,I woke up one morning to find one roach scurrying around the bathtub and another one sitting on the middle of a shirt I had ironed the night before and then placed on a hook in the bathroom. When I raised this issue with the desk staff, the person acted confused and then summoned a colleague who clearly was not surprised. While apologetic, the person did nothing more than offer to add additional points to my Marriott Rewards account, though I never received even that token of goodwill.

Perhaps five or six years ago, the Renaissance Asheville really was the only full-service hotel in downtown Asheville, but more options now exist, and I likely will try one of the newer ones on my next visit despite being a pretty faithful customer of Marriott brands.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank South_Travel2014

My sincere apologies for the recent stay you experienced at our hotel. It is clear we fell short in our efforts to provide you with the first class experience you have come to expect from a hotel of our caliber. As far as the Marriott Reward points, I will certainly correct this issue and make sure they are posted to your account. We value and appreciate your feedback, and hope to serve you again in the near future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed at the Renaissance several years ago and was back this past weekend. It's a great location....easy walk into town and the great shopping and restaurants. They offer free parking but the lot was packed on the weekend nights (not sure their approach of having someone stand outside by the entrance is effective at deterring people who want to park for free and go downtown). Beds are very comfortable but both the bathroom and air conditioning systems could use updating. A/C was VERY loud (as it was during my previous visit) and the shower mechanism difficult to operate (and the bathrooms are very small as others have mentioned). There's at least one new hotel in the downtown area so more competition for the Renaissance!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Renaissance AVL R, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about the parking, and the maintenance issues you experienced. I do apologize for these inconveniences. We will certainly work on correcting this for the future. Other than that, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We certainly hope to serve you again in the near future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Spent the weekend here with my wife and was impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the stat when we checked in. The room was standard (a little small for a Renaissance) but was clean and stocked with all the needed amenities. The bed was comfortable and we both had a great night sleep. Parking was ample and free but you need to go around back. But the location was just perfect... less than 5 min walk from the core of downtown Asheville with tones of shops and restaurants to try. I would probably stay here again on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

First time in Asheville and this was in the perfect location--walking distance to trendy, boho, Hipster downtown shops and restaurants. Cool, modern lobby. Has restaurant and room service, but we didn't use either. Comfy beds and pillows, but thought bathroom was a bit too small. Other than that, great hotel!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is in the perfect, location! Very professional friendly staff-our room was a corner room and was the average size with two double beds. Request for higher up floor to take advantage of the great mountian views. The lobby was upscale trendy,cool, and a great place to hang out. There is also an outdoor patio that is modern, and open. It was a delight to sit and have a summer cocktail as we mingled with others. The commenary breakfast ea. morning was a sure fresh stand out and shouldn’t be miss. The chef making the omelets will make your day and they taste great- not to mention the delicious pastries ea. morning. overall yes, the rooms and bathroom are small-and updated ammenties need to be brought in, but overall this place was a lot better than what I was expecting in Asheville. And it's dog friendly!
The hotel is within walking distance to many downtown Asheville restaurants, bars and shops. Which are plentiful and lively! Downtown Asheville really has it going on and we shall return!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better mountain view. It's totally dog friendly.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family