“They went out of their way...”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC
Ranked #18 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Jacksonville, Florida
“They went out of their way...”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

LOVE this property! We were exhausted from work and travel when we arrived. We had requested a quiet room with a view and got that and more. We got room 304 which was at the end of the hall, a large king-bedded room with a lovely view of the mountains. Ten minutes after arriving, we got a call from the front desk to be sure the room was satisfactory. BIG yes on that! It was very clean, comfortable, and the bed was "just right". They had a good breakfast which had waffles, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy and the usual cereals, breads, and such. We felt right at home right away. There were fresh baked cookies to add to that "home" feeling, too. We'll be returning to the Asheville area and when we do, we will most definitely be staying here!! By the way, it wasn't far from Mt. Pisgah, the highest elevation in the Smokies, and The Biltmore, so this would be a great "home base" if you were to plan to visit those.

1 Thank Heidi P
CISBILTMORESQUARE, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
We are pleased that your stay witn us was a good experience and excited that you will be returning to us. Can't wait!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Lake Charles, LA
Reviewed 24 October 2013

First, let me say that I have written many reviews for Tripadvisor and this is the ONLY very negative one I have written. We love to travel and accept minor inconveniences, but this was crazy and the staff just did not seem to really care about the place. Just don't know what happened here-from the Tripadvisor reviews, I was expecting so much more. We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip(I tried to cancel the end night, but Asheville was full!!!) The check in person was almost comotose, the air conditioner fan did not work, so the unit cut on and off noisily all night. The manager was made aware, told me that it was how the thermostats were set for the fall, which was not true, since in my son's room next door, the fan worked fine. I told him that, and he reluctantly told me he would have it looked at the next day-which he did-so that was fine.The bedspread was filthy, and stained. And do not expect any privacy because you can hear EVERYTHING your neighbors are doing. The shower curtain was mildewed, and every piece of equipment except for the bike in the fitness room was broken. When I told the manager this, he indicated that he knew. I asked if it would be repaired by our return date-5 days away and he said no. On a positive note, my husband enjoyed the breakfast and the cookies are a nice touch.

Return visit-Check in time is 3pm-we arrived at 2:40 and were told our room was not clean. I asked if we could leave our luggage, because we were going into town and did not want anyone to break into the rental car. I was told they had nowhere to keep it, but then, a sweet housekeeper suggested to the clerk that it would fit behind the desk and not be in the way-she reluctantly gave in. Then at around 8pm I received a call telling me that they needed to validate my credit card or they would give the room away, and wanted me to read the number out. I was in the middle of dinner in a very crowded restaurant and said I did not want to read out loud, but we were definitley going to return-in fact that they had our luggage. She stated, "Oh that is your luggage? Well I still need your card number." I reminded her that we had stayed there for 2 nights five days ago, AND again that we were definitely going to be there because she had our luggage. I had to promise to be there by 8:30 or lose the room. The height of ridiculous-where did she think I was going without my luggage? When we got there she said that she had found my credit card and all was well-REALLY?! The only good thing I can say about this place is the location, close to the Arboretum, the Farmer's Market and the Blue Ridge Parkway. And this was not cheap-$169.00 a night without taxes etc. I will never stay here again. and would have given a terrible rating except one time I did stay in a worse place.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CISBILTMORESQUARE, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
We are thankful that you chose to stay with us and that your son had a great stay. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay. It is rare that someone will write a review as detailed as yours and it is appreciated because it gives us insight into the situation. Today's AC/Heat units are set to run by temp control and will turn on and off unless manually set to run all the time. We are thankful that your first visit was a success and we are perplexed as to why the second visit went wrong. We assure you and all our guest that we are carefully reviewijng the situation and making any needed corrections. Again, thank you for your business.
Sun Lakes, Arizona
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel, the staff was wonderful and went out of their way to help. Even called us to say they set up our rooms for early check in and put us next door to our friends. We got back from our Hot Air Balloon Ride after breakfast hours, but they said "come on in" and they let us eat and waited on us. Their breakfast was great, everything you would want. Rooms were fine, could be a bit noisy if you were close to the street.
Also...unlimited Tea and Coffee in the Lobby as well as Fresh Cookies and Apples!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street and also on the top floor/3rd floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Athens, GA, USA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Nice, clean room. Good size. TV problem when we first arrived but it was fixed in less than half an hour. Good breakfast with several choices of items and items that varied from day-to-day. Friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We realize that we are very sensitive to road noise, but this truly was the loudest hotel in which we have ever stayed. We had reserved a suite on the top floor (308) for our anniversary weekend in Asheville, and on Friday night I counted at least a dozen very loud trucks and motorcycles going by on Brevard Rd. before I finally fell asleep. We were then awakened by another motorcycle that was so loud it sounded like it was zooming by right outside the window. This was despite running the room fan and a white noise machine continuously, and stuffing cotton in our ears.
The next morning we changed rooms, but because the hotel was almost full we were only able to get a regular small room on the other side of the building (323). It was 50% better, but the room fan would not run continuously and loudly cycled on and off.
The hotel itself is a very nice Country Inn and Suites, convenient to the Blue Ridge Parkway and major highways. Guest service was very good, management did its very best to accommodate us, and the breakfasts were wonderful. But if you are sensitive to noise as we are, consider a quieter location or at least be sure to get an odd-numbered room near the back.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered room near the back are somewhat quieter.
north west england
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was a good location for us – not far off the Blue Ridge Parkway and only a few minutes to downtown. It also had a coin-operated guest laundry which we needed to use at this point in our trip. Check-in was friendly. In fact, all the staff we had contact with had an air of friendliness.

Room was comfortable, even if the mattresses were a little soft. We slept well both nights we were there.

There’s a couple of “services” that I particularly liked about Country Inn. Coffee, cookies and fruit are always available in the lobby. There’s also “front parlour” seats in the lobby, where you’re invited to borrow a book from their small library and return it to any other Country Inn. Nice touch. Good marketing. Breakfast was also above average for a “rate inclusive” breakfast – a good range of fruit, yoghurt, pastries as well as a couple of cooked items. What I liked is that they use proper crockery and cutlery, not plastic items as do many hotels. And it was all for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harters
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This is just a normal Country Inn, not much special about the rooms and breakfast, but the staff set's this place out. I kept a staff here for almost a month and they were treated like family. I left items to be picked up by my employee's and the staff made sure to get it to them. They even delivered Fed Ex packages to the rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business