Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC
Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stays there for 3 nights while visiting the Asheville area. Motel is conveniently located to a number of attractions. Rooms are quite small but the place was clean which is important. Had no problems during our stay, except the breakfast area is really small and you would have to wait to find a place to sit down to eat on weekends. They had a good variety of breakfast foods and the choices rotated from one day to the next. Location is close to Biltmore mansion and the Blue Ridge parkway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back as there is some road noise.
1  Thank Traveler491
CISBILTMORESQUARE, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts with others. Please come back when in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Biltmore. There was positives and negatives. The positives: The room, grounds and public areas were very clean. The breakfast was really good and had a full selection, including hot food. There was always cookies and coffee available in the lobby. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient.

The negatives: We had a room on the third floor, parking lot side. The noise from the road was very loud and we could hear every truck that went by all night. It is a busy street. The parking lot has very narrow spaces and hardly any room to back out (narrow). It also doesn't circle around so if you get to the back and there is no spaces, we would have to back all the way around the building as there was not sufficient space to turn around. Our last morning, due to a busy 16 hour day the day before and not getting in until after 1 am, we were looking forward to sleeping late before the 11:00 check-out. That didn't happen as at 9:20, a maid was running the vacuum cleaning in the hallway outside of our door. After a busy day and not sleeping well the night before due to the noise, this was extremely annoying. We were given a handicapped room (did not request it) and the double beds were so small, we ended up having to each sleep in our own bed, which we hated. Since the bathroom was handicapped equipped, the shower head was extremely low. I am 5'6" and I had to bend over to wash my hair as it only came to around my nose.

Now this is not the hotel's fault, but we also thought being across from the mall would be wonderful as our first night we had no plans. Don't stay there because of the proximity of the mall. The mall has very few stores open as most have closed down. We ended up not even getting out of the car as it was so deserted.

I love Country Inn & Suites and we frequent them often, but this one, I would not stay at again due to the noise level and other issues.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your comments. As for the mall; it is in transition to become Asheville' s first and only discount to open late 2014 after thorough renovation. We hope it will be very nice when completed.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We (4 travelers) used TripAdvisor to find a nice place to spend 2 nights to tour the Biltmore Estate. We booked 2 rooms, a standard king and a standard with 2 double beds, and both rooms met our expectations. We liked the fact the hotel is NOT pet-friendly!! Country Inn & Suites was perfect for comfort, convenience, cleanliness, and quietness with the complimentary breakfast being sufficient. The desk staff, hotel manager, and dining room hostess were very friendly and accommodating. Lots of family-styled restaurants nearby and within walking distance, and a Mall across the street. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nvr2mchtrvl4me
CISBILTMORESQUARE, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable and that our staff help make your stay a pleasant experience. Come back anytime.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I’m conflicted about this review. It’s the first negative one I’ve given. It’s in two parts.

The hotel is terrific and if you plan to stay in a regular room, that’s terrific, too. However, if you want a one bedroom suite, there are major flaws, which I’ll explain in a moment.

First, the great part. The desk clerks were extremely friendly and helpful, especially the young lady in the daytime. The gentleman as night was polite and helpful, but it’s hard to beat the day person’s effervescence. The hotel was clean and well presented. I read a review from two weeks before our stay complaining the fitness equipment didn’t work. I usually run five miles a day, but settled for a rigorous hour on the treadmill. It worked perfectly. There is also an elliptical, recumbent bike, and a weight machine. The elliptical had a clunk sound, but it worked as did everything else. No problem there unless you have more than four people show up at a time.

The breakfast was outstanding. I don’t get the bad reviews found here. I guess they are people with problems of privilege. We were there for two nights. First morning had plain omelet like eggs, ham, breakfast potatoes, cook your own waffles, bagels, muffins, fruit, all the juices, several coffees, tea, oatmeal (not packets), several cereals, and more. “The second morning the omelet eggs were like a western omelet, and instead of ham and potatoes, they served sausage, biscuit, and sausage gravy, along with everything else listed above. I could go on, but if you complain about the breakfast, you need to go spend a couple more hundred dollars a night. Oh, I must add the lady servicing the breakfast area was outstanding - friendly and helpful and seemed really happy to be alive.

We were ten easy minutes to downtown Asheville and to the Biltmore Estate and Village. If you like Southern country food, eat at the Moose restaurant just down the road on the right just before you get to I-40. Plan on taking home a leftovers box for lunch the next day.

There was absolutely no problem with noise. We were on the third floor, so noise above wasn't possible. But we heard nothing from the street. I must say, though, that we bring a box fan for white noise while we sleep and never, ever have noise problems. I strongly suggest that for those bothered by traffic noise. Hotels can't do much about that.

Now, for the one star part.

My wife and I live in different time zones, but in the same house. I’m early to bed and early to rise (5 am). She’s late to bed and late to rise. (Its worked pretty good for 35 years.) So, we always try to get a one-bedroom suite. (Living and sleeping areas separated by a door.) This was the dumbest, least usable for the purpose suite, we’ve ever experienced.

The whole point of a suite is to have a sleeping/napping area and living/working area. This suite had three problems making it unusable for those purposes. Two could be fixed today. The third one would require a rebuild to completely fixed, but it can be helped without terrible expense.

First Fix: The computer desk is in the bedroom. How dumb is that? I need to work, my wife needs to sleep. The whole point of having a suite is to separate those activities. Here’s a fix that can be done with a little muscle power today. Move the computer desk into the living area. Move the easy chair into the bedroom. I measured and everything fits nicely. Moving the computer desk required two people, or I would have done this one myself. My wife has back issues and couldn’t help me with it.

Second Fix: The bedroom door is 90% WINDOW. It’s frosted, but barely and doesn’t stop light at all. So, when I went to bed while my wife was still awake, the bedroom was like being at a picnic at noon. I guess the idea is to allow light into the living area from the bedroom window, but that’s dumb. I’ve stayed in suites all over with living area without window light. It’s fine and far preferable to the setup at the Country Inn and Suites. (at least this one.) The best fix is to install a solid door. But, it could be fixed today by buying a dark, light blocking, curtain from the K-mart store that’s just down the street and putting it on the door.

Third Problem: The heat/A.C. unit is through the wall in the bedroom. To heat the living area and the bathroom, there is a vent in the bedroom just above the door, then a vent on the living side of the door. There is a fan controlled by a flip switch next to the door that pushes air from the bedroom to the living area. It doesn’t work too good with heat, so to warm up the living area, the door needs to be open, which, of course, defeats its purpose. The worst part, though, is that the bathroom is in the living area, so heating the bathroom depends on that heating system described above. The bathroom stayed cold. Suggest installing a heat lamp in the bathroom. We did have temperatures in the teens, so it might not be as big an issue in warmer weather. I would think, though, that summer cooling would present the same problem. (At the very least, provide a portable heater for the living/bath area.)

To sum up, we loved the hotel staff and amenities. Fix the suite, and we'll be rock solid fans. Until the suites are fixed, though, we’ll look elsewhere,or we'll bring our own curtains, recruit some muscle to move furniture, and bring a portable heater.

Room Tip: Unless the problems are fixed with the suite, go elsewhere or get a regular room and save the money...
3  Thank EddieLee
CISBILTMORESQUARE, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel and staying with us. We deeply appreciate the kind remarks you made about our staff and the service you received during your stay. We have taken your remarks about the design of the suite you stayd in seriously and are looking into the best action for us to take. We hope you will return. Most of our suites are designed differently and you might like them.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This motel is at Exit 33 on I-26. It was convenient for visits to downtown, the farmer's market, Biltmore Village, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We found the surface traffic to be very heavy and slow, so we used the interstate system to get around when we could. It is just two miles from the BRP and the Western NC Farmers' Market.
The room was well furnished and very comfortable. The tub shower had a grab bar for safe access. There is an elevator.
For some reason I had to sign a form saying I had booked the room through a third party!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
CISBILTMORESQUARE, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville at Asheville Outlet Mall, NC, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Asheville. We are happy it went well for you. Come again when you can.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We used Trip Advisor to find a good place to stay with touring the Biltmore. Country Inn & Suites was great. Convenient, Clean, Quite, very comfortable. We would stay there again or at any other Country Inn because this was so nice. We are club members and as a bonus we got a great deal by cashing in some of our points. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Use Trip Advisor and call ahead. They were almost booked up by the time we arrived.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your business during your visit to Biltmore. Let's do it again soon. Love to see you again.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor. We had not stay at this brand hotel before. The room was larger than expected, the hotel was convenient, and the facility was clean. Check-in was prompt and the staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: There would likey not be parking for a large vehicle towing a trailer in the parking lot, if the hot...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for checkin with us during your trip to see the leaves put on their colorful show. We hope to see you again.