“Excellent value for the money” 5 of 5 bubbles

SpringHill Suites Asheville
Ranked #44 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent value for the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Biltmore in late August and, unlike a few other reviewers, were delighted with our choice. Admittedly, our trip was probably after the busy family-travel period, when most kids were back in school. So, while the hotel seemed comfortably occupied, we found no reason to stress about parking or inadequate breakfast space. Our room was spotless, fresh, and quiet, the bed was excellent, and the a/c was very responsive to our desired temperature setting. The staff couldn't have been more gracious and accommodating: from Bogumil, the front desk manager who not only greeted us warmly, but happily gave us dining suggestions and directions whenever we needed them, to Patricia, the breakfast room attendant who treated everyone like a special friend, to the housekeeping staff we met in the hallway. And the location made it an easy drive to either the Biltmore House or downtown.
If you're expecting J.W.Marriott or Renaissance appointments at this price point, you won't be happy. But if you're looking for excellent value, i.e., nice accommodations, great service, and good location for a modest price, this fits the bill.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor facing the mountains.
1 Thank froamer
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear Charles S,

Thank you so much for very nice review of your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff took very good care of you. I will be sure to pass along a copy of your review to the staff so that they can see your very nice comments. I know that Patricia and Bogumil will be especially delighted with your review.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Asheville.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Stone Mountain, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

Spent 2 nights in Asheville, NC weekend after Labor Day 2012. 1st night in the Homewood Suites (Hilton) and 2nd night in SpringHill Suites (Marriott).
Homewood's king suite was nicely appointed and clean. Full kitchen including full size fridge and range top. Ceramic tile entrance and bath with nice appointments. Complimentary HOT breakfast in their large dining room was a nice weekend touch - during the week your evening meal is also part of the package.
SpringHill's hotel decor and king "suite" were right out of the mid-'60's - everything in the entire hotel was in shades of "mint green" and when we entered our room it was "Frebreezed" to death - had to open the window and turn on the vent fan to cut the air to breathing consistency - wonder what else they were "covering up". Teeny fridge and microwave and not much else - and at the same price the Homewood was charging. Breakfast was usual "continental fare" - unimpressive.
One would think that hotel chains would know what their competition was "selling" and try to keep pace. Would have stayed at the Hampton but they didn't have any fridges in any of their rooms - for almost $200/night I would have expected a little more from the Marriott brand.
Know where I'll be staying next time I'm back in Asheville -- hope those reading this learn from our experiences -

Room Tip: Get a room on the TOP floor - the framing isn't very well insulated so you can hear your upstair...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mtnpotter
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear mtnpotter,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our hotel vs the Homewood Suites. I would like to point out that you are comparing us to a very different level of hotel. The Homewood Suites is a hotel set up for long term stays with full cooking facilities and full suites. We however are only set up with studio suites and mini friges and microwaves. The Homewood Suites is also very much like our Residence Inn with the full morning breakfast and the evening social. The Residence Inn would be a hotel that is more along the lines of the Homewood Suites as they are set up for long term stays.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.
piedmont of NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Nice clean property. Showing a slight amount of wear and tear but nothing unusual. Nice suites, with all the usual ammenities. Convenient location off tunnel rd. Easy to get to downtown, biltmore, restaurants, shopping, blue ridge parkway, etc. Staff was professional. Breakfast area is small, so I'd recommend trying to visit during off peak hours. Breakfast options were ample, no complaints. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing parking lot don't offer a view but also don't have road noise from interstate.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank onamissionap
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear onamissionap,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Asheville.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We got this reservation because we were booking a Biltmore concert package. However, this hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. The location was central but secluded, the room large and well appointed, and the staff very friendly, helpful, and more importantly, honest!
My partner, without realizing it, let a very valuable pair of gold and pearl earrings drop out of her jewelry case in the room, and then put the case in the hotel safe while we went out for the day. When we returned to the room we found that the maid, "Jessica" had apparently found the earinngs, and placed them on the bedside table. If she had pocketed them, no-one would have ever known, but instead, she did the right thing.
This kind of honesty from someone who probably makes minimum wage, was most impressive, and said a lot about the staff at the hotel.
We would not hesitate to stay there again when in Asheville.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back of the building and was very quiet.
2 Thank JVB2040
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear JVB2040,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. It was a pleasure meeting you both and thank you for the very nice comments regarding Jessica. I will be sure to pass along a copy of your review for her to see and we look forward to seeing you both again in the future.
Trumbull, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

This suite hotel is located on a commercial strip just a few miles away from downtown Asheville; it is also just a few miles from the Biltmore Estate. My wife and stayed here on our way from Great Smoky Mountains National Park to the Outer Banks. Although the staff was friendly and helpful and the room adequate, we did encounter some issues. For example, when paying almost $200/night for a hotel, one would expect a parking space in the hotel's parking lot and a seat in the lobby cafe at breakfast - we had neither. The parking lot is woefully inadequate for the size of the hotel so we were left to park in the hotel's "overflow" lot, i.e., the parking lot of the Carrabba's Restaurant adjacent to the hotel and down a slight hill. We were not thrilled at leaving our car, which was packed with all of our camping gear, so far from the hotel. We encountered an analogous experience with the complimentary breakfast in the morning. The dining area is undersized for the hotel, resulting in a very crowded, unpleasant experience (we ended up just bringing food back to our room).

Overall, we did not have a terrible experience at the Springhill Suites, but we have come to expect more from Marriott properties. If we were to return to Asheville we would look into staying somewhere else.

2 Thank Constructive_Summer
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear KRW52,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. I can understand your frustration with the parking situation and with the breakfast room being full. Summer time is a very busy time for us and with large numbers of families traveling over this time period it does get crowded at our hotel. While we try to minimize any inconveniences to our guests there are times when people traveling with multiple cars will fill our parking lot and families with multiple children will fill our breakfast room.
Thank you again for staying with us and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I purchased a package deal...King Suite room with Biltmore Estate tickets. For the money I spent (well over $300.00) we were given an "OK" room that really did not live up to the cost. First of all it was for a handicap person (no tub). The bed was very uncomfortable and the room had no view of the beautiful mountains. We visited the indoor swimming pool where we found a very dirty whirlpool and ice cold pool. The hallways needed mopped. I was not impressed. The breakfast area was good. Next time I visit the Biltmore, I'll just buy my tickets online and go to a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tchrshepard48
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear tchrshepard48,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with our hotel. We strive to ensure that every guest has a nice relaxing stay and clean comfortable room while with us. Due to the placement of the hotel we have only a few rooms that have a mountain view and I am sorry that you did not have one. Regarding the pool temperature, we are governed by state law as to how warm we can have the pool and is it kept at a constant 80 degrees.
Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us but hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed at the SpringHill for only one night. I arrived well before the posted normal check-in time after driving 7.5 hours from DC. Because we were having a funeral memorial service in a few hours, I asked the front desk staff if it would be at all possible to have an early check-in so I could rest a bit and freshen up. The women at the front desk were very gracious and helped find a room that was ready. I was able to rest before going to my uncle's funeral service -- thank you, ladies, for helping me out with the check-in!
The air conditioning in my room was fantastic! I like it c-c-cold when I sleep, and I wasn't disappointed. The outside air temp was pushing 98,degrees, so the unit worked great.
I also want to extend a big thank-you to Matthew for helping me with my initial reservation. He was charming, professional, and a delight to deal with. He's a definite asset to the SpringHill staff.
Overall, great job making me comfortable during a highly stressful event. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear L2conD,

Thank you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay but I am sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you also the very nice comments regarding our staff and Matthew in particular. I will be sure to share your review with him and I hope to see you again on your next trip to Asheville.