“Nice large room but musty smelling”

SpringHill Suites Asheville
Ranked #40 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Salem, NH
“Nice large room but musty smelling”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband travels to Asheville several times a year and on this July trip I was able to accompany him. The hotel room was a king suite (406) was large and airy but musty smelling which was a turn off. We were able to open the window and get some fresh air but at night we would shut it and turn on the AC as the highway noise was loud. The bed was comfortable and all the linens were of good quality. The breakfast was delicious and the ladies serving it were very pleasant and friendly. The corporate rate was great and I wished we would have been able to stay an extra night and see more of this beautiful area. The last night we were there the hotel parking lot was packed and several campers and a car with a trailer were hogging up several extra spots each! My husband ended up dropping me off at the hotel door and driving down to Carabbas Restaurant and parking there. We told the desk clerk but they didn't seem to care.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room get one away from the elevators
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear ThatsAGiven,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the musty smell in your room and the parking situation. While we try to keep parking open for all our guests there are times when guests bring mutiple or oversized vehicles and we have to have guests park next door. Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

John Zellers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night with my husband and 3 kids. Room was well laid out with 2 double beds and a sofa bed. Nice little are with a table, microwave, small fridge and coffee maker. Good location to visit Asheville sites.

• Stayed August 2013
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear familyoffiveTampa_FL,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the hotel met all your needs. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Asheville.

SC
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed here for two nights.
Hotel was about average, nothing great, but no major problems.

Pros:
Front desk staff were nice.
They have a complimentary breakfast, didn't eat there, so can't comment on quality.
Indoor pool right off of lobby.

Cons:
Not enough parking, we had to park at a restaurant next door.
They only partially cleaned our room. When we returned to our room, one bed was made, the other wasn't. There were new towels, but the used ones were still in the floor. There were no new soap, shampoo, etc. The trash wasn't removed. My guess is they got interrupted and forgot to come back. Normally I would have called the front desk to complain, but it was late when we got back, and we just wanted to crash. Then we got woke up a little after 8:00 the next morning (our check out morning) by housekeeping wanting to clean the room. Somewhere they had a big disconnect. Once again, we were in a hurry, so we just left.

These issues were probably just mistakes, but it's annoying.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear RnDinSC,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time us. Please accept my apologies for the room the not being cleaned properly. We strive to ensure that every guest has a clean and comfortable room and I'm sorry that we fell short of that during your time with us.

Again, please accept my apologies and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

metro Atlanta
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

This is my third trip to Asheville and my first time staying at this hotel. Very pleased with this property: convenient to downtown Asheville, spacious and well designed room. The double bed suite includes a separate area with sofa bed, kitchenette and work space. It would sleep 2-3 adults comfortably. The color choices in the public areas and room are pleasant and soothing. Pool and exercise areas look well maintained.

The lobby / breakfast area is cleverly designed. I appreciated the separate section which enabled me to enjoy my breakfast without view of the TV. Food choices included scrambled eggs and Canadian bacon, a wide assortment of breads, including bagels, croissants and more, oatmeal with 6 choices for toppings, yogurts (including Greek yogurt!) and more. Great attention to detail - honey and agave offered in addition to the regular sugars, and real butter along with other spreads. The little things show that someone is paying attention! My only wish would be for them to eliminate the styrofoam. It is out of place, especially in a eco-friendly place such as Asheville.

Great hotel - I look forward to booking here again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ladytez
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear ladytez,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our new breakfast. Starting July 1, 2013 SpringHill Suites rolled out a new breakfast program and I'm excited to hear what our guests think about it.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Asheville.

Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

I am a business traveler and this property has become my home away from home when traveling in WNC. The refrigerator and microwave are convenient for left over restaurant food. Sam and Frank at the front desk are exceptional. Patricia the breakfast host is phenonimnal.

• Stayed July 2013
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear BHornbackTN,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay and thank you for all the nice comments regarding our staff. We are so happy to have you staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Englewood, Florida
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed at the Springhill Suites because it had a pull-out sofa for our son and included tickets to the Biltmore for our entire stay. The front desk was very accommodating and our tickets were ready when we arrived. The breakfast in the morning was good, but did not include biscuits and gravy which we love on vacation. The room was our only issue; it was just not a good suite. With only a partial wall dividing the room with a sofa from the bedroom, it made the bedroom very small and if the sofa was pulled out to a bed, there was no way to get to the coffee pot by the front door except to crawl over. it seemed rather dangerous if there was an emergency and you needed to reach the front door. With only one door to the bathroom the guest on the sofa bed had to go around the bed to get there. The bathroom was well maintained, but again the design was flawed. You had to stand up to reach the toilet paper roll on the wall across from the toilet.
While the design flaws of the room were small inconveniences, the overall hotel stay was pleasant due to the cleanliness of the hotel and helpfulness of the front desk. One other inconvenience was that although we had prepaid out stay, when we returned home, we had an additional $40.00 charge from the hotel. When I called, I was told that was standard as an advance charge for incidentals, but would be credited back to our card in a few days since we did not have any more charges. I did not appreciate this.
Overall, the hotel was pleasant, but I might try another one closer to the Bltmore with a different room design the next time.

Room Tip: Suite is not the best choice if you need the sofa bed.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Susna92,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not care for the layout of your room. We are an all studtio suite hotel which means that there is no speration of the bedroom and living room. While some people like this layout, some prefer the complete seperation of the bedroom. In regards to the $40 hold on your credit card, this is to cover any incidentals that you may have and is a standard practice at any hotel in order to establish credit at check in. If you have no extra charges then the hold is released the day you check out, however, it may take your bank up to 10 business days to release the authorization.

Thank you again for your review.

Ohio
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We were only in Asheville for one night, and had a lovely stay at this location. The building seems very new and modern - sleek design and very good condition. Rooms were very big - the room with two double beds had two tvs - one by the beds and one in the little sitting area. The kids loved the pool. The exercise room was small but functional. Breakfast was crowded and unfortunately we didn't realize it ended at 9:00 on weekdays, so we didn't get much to eat, but that was our fault. Location was close to downtown (about 5 minutes drive) and there were lots of decent restaurants nearby. Staff was very friendly. Kids wanted to stay another night. Will definitely come back the next time we are in town.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
shsasheville, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Asheville, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear MichelleKM,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your kids wanted to stay another night. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Asheville.