“Great location, interesting, friendly but for the young”

Aloft Asheville Downtown
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, interesting, friendly but for the young”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Ok, so when I drove up and the Bike Booze bus was blocking our entrance to the entrance - it should have clued me in that this is a very young demographic. I am almost 50 and think I'm a hip mom - my kids would disagree I'm sure- but this was not my scene. After parking my own car and shlepping my luggage up to the 2nd floor lobby/bar/registration area, I was greeted with very friendly and helpful staff. The lobby is a combo game lounge/bar and sitting area - very nice outdoor space to enjoy a beverage or snack but very loud and spartan. The rooms were very clean and well thought out but very utilitarian. I am sure the concept works with the 20/30's somethings; although I was traveling with my 18 year old daughter and she said it was fine but just this side of creepy - not sure which side she meant. There was a nice outdoor pool and "air" space as the hotel described it on the 3rd floor that looked very nice. I think this would be a great hotel for a girls/guys weekend and the location in Asheville can't be beat but it's no Biltmore...nor is it trying to be. At my age, I think I like more amenities but you may want to try it out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Robin D
Emily F, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Robin D,
Thank you for your review, and we’re glad you interacted with our friendly staff. Aloft is a contemporary brand set apart from the competition by our unique, loft-inspired design and trendy styling. We understand our design will not appeal to everyone; however, we do strive to provide each of our guests with superior customer service and a memorable stay. Thank you for trying our hotel, and we hope the rest of your trip to Asheville was a good one. All the best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Dayton
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel was absolutely wonderful. Location was perfect, as well as the staff. My husband and I needed to leave a day early and they cancelled our last night without any issues or charges. I honestly have nothing bad to say about the hotel, room, and staff. Everything exceeded our expectations and we will definitely be back! We would recommend this hotel to everyone :)

• Stayed July 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Had a quick stop in Ashville and found this nice looking hotel right in downtown. The rooms and hotel are very modern, very clean and comfortable. The rooms were also very quiet. Plenty of hot water too in the showers. This hotel has a nice little pool on the roof with plenty of lounge chairs to relax. Fantastic find for sure.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank BolasdeMadera
Emily F, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear BolasdeMadera,
We’re pleased to hear you loved your stay and enjoyed our modern and comfortable guest rooms. You will have to come back for a longer stay so you can explore all of the excitement in Downtown Asheville. Warm regards.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Aloft hotel Brand is known for their European style of room. -- Small, modern but efficient and comfortable rooms. Where the Aloft Brand excels is in public gathering places. (I don't want to use the word lobby, because that does not provide a good description. Instead, think of this space as a giant family room with an area for billiard, TV, coffee, snacking, drinking etc. etc.)

The Aloft in Asheville Downtown takes the basic concept described above up ten notches! The "lobby" has a full service Starbuck's, a full service bar, big TV, great indoor and outdoor seating, a wonderful patio overlooking the street, plenty of great small plate food options and much more! To be honest, the hotel "lobby" felt more like a cool hangout destination for people to come gather, play and socialize. It attracts locals and hotel guests alike and is hoping until midnight with all sorts of people and activities. On one of the nights we were there, there was a free Shag dancing class taking place in part of the lobby area. -- Most of the participants where locals, but all were welcome. Other nights they had live music.

During the morning and daytime hours, the hotel "lobby" is active with guests having coffee and/or food at the Starbuck's or on the patio -- very nice atmosphere to get your day started.

The Aloft Downtown also has a very nice outdoor pool, patio and fire pit area on the third floor, but for some reason that didn't seem to be nearly as active/used as the lobby area.

As for location, The Aloft Downtown is in a perfect spot. Easy walking to all the fun restaurants and activities in downtown Asheville.

All in all, I'd say this is a great choice if you want to be in downtown. Having said that, please be sure to read my review about Asheville as a destination overall. e.g. If you have never been to Asheville and are expecting a quaint mountain town to cool of in during the hot summer this is NOT it. Asheville is a small city in a valley surrounded by mountains and it gets hot and humid during the day. It also is a very, very artistic, funky city. Filled with lots of great restaurants, galleries, music performers on every corner and hippies everywhere. (The locals look like they never left the 60's -- barefoot and blissfully high on something... maybe life, but I'm not entirely sure it isn't something else...)

If you are looking for the waterfalls and great mountain hikes, you will need to drive 30 - 40 minutes outside of Asheville's Downtown area. But if you are looking for a funky fun city, downtown is the place to be.

Room Tip: Very dog friendly hotel. For easiest access to dog run area, ask for a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GingerCharlotte
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Aloft is in the perfect spot to walk everywhere downtown. Pet friendly is always a plus for us as we travel. The room was clean and perfect for us for the weekend. We loved being able to walk to dinner and leave our car in their parking garage.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kkclardy
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Asheville is buzzing in the Summer. The restaurants are crowded, the galleries are showing off their works and kids are splashing in the fountain at Pack Park. In the heart of this activity is the Aloft.

The Aloft is what I think is called a boutique or hipster hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. The lobby is a mix of a front desk rotunda, bar, cafe, live music and outside viewing of the happenings downtown.

The location is great as you can walk to the many restaurants, museums, bars and galleries.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable and are decorated
in modern Art Deco style. The workout area is nice and the machines work. Parking is adjacent to the hotel and our rate was $5 per night. The hotel is pet friendly and there is no extra charge for visiting with your pet (Asheville is a dog friendly city).

So if you want to experience Asheville and need a place to stay then consider Aloft.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank travelforfun2009
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After travelling from Dallas to Memphis and back to our home in NC, my wife and I decided to make an impromptu visit to Asheville. After checking TripAdvisor, we split our choices between Hotel Indigo and Aloft, deciding to stay at Aloft based on its location and association with the W brand. Unfortunately, we made a mistake and it almost robbed us of enjoying the charm of wonderful Asheville.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the hotel representative, Dextin. Check in was easy, and we were even given a complimentary piece of cake, as well as suggestions for local bars and hangouts. The hotel was, at that point, precisely what we expected; chic, well appointed, and modern, nestled in the heart of downtown Asheville. From that point forward, the visit went down hill.

After setting down our bags and preparing to shower, we noticed that there was a USED SHAVING RAZOR in the shower. Being that the rest of the room seemed in order, we decided to notify the front desk and take a trip to the store to let them sort it out. While Dextin was definitely apologetic, he did not seem inclined to offer any sort of courtesy anything, as you would expect from an at least decent hotel after discovering that one of their patrons was given a dirty room. Upon leaving the hotel parking garage, we couldn't exit. Our key card would not let us out. The attendant told us that we would have to 'hit the button' to call for help. It was handled promptly and we were allowed to exit.

However, upon returning to the parking garage, we attempted to use the key to get back in and could not. I hit the button again. No answer. I looked toward the same attendant who had just saw me leave, and he said 'I can't let you in. Sorry. Try calling again.' He promptly turned his back to us and left us sitting there. Cars were lining up behind us. I kept hitting the button, embarrassed and uncomfortable, simply trying to get back to our room. Eventually, security showed up and asked what he could help us with. WOW. So now, with a line of cars behind me, a security guard parked in front of me, and the attendant telling the guard he absolutely cannot let us in. The guard had to call the front desk THREE times to get an answer before we could be let in.

We parked. We went back to the desk to meet Dextin. We told him that our cards were not programmed for the parking garage. His answer? 'THEY must not have programmed it.' THEY who?? Dextin was the person who checked us in only 35 minutes earlier! Had we been forgotten already? Was he simply attempting to push blame?

We returned to our room to find... Surprise!! A part of the razor was still in the shower. We went to pour a glass of ice water and what else? Our glasses were dirty. So there I stand, feeling unwelcome, uncomfortable in a poorly kept hotel, trying to decide if I want to engage a not so concerned Dextin or just move forward. I HAND WASHED THE GLASSES in the sink, took a shower (which at this point, I felt was nasty and probably not clean at all), and left the room to enjoy what was a wonderful night in Asheville.

I checked out the next morning in person to explain our misfortune to a young lady, who promised Starwood Points for our several inconveniences which we, as expected, have never received. I will return to Asheville many times, but we will not be staying with this property when we do. I've had better experiences at $70 hotels than this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ron C
Dear Ron C,
I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel’s convenient location, but apologize for the inconveniences you experienced in your room. We aim for all our guests to have a comfortable and clean space and take your review very seriously. Rest assured, we have addressed these things with our team to ensure their improvement. We appreciate your feedback and apologize again that your stay did not meet expectations. Warm regards.