“Heaven on Earth”

Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Greensboro
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed 11 May 2010

What can you say about something that is already perfect. I brought my then girlfriend to the Inn back in Dec during the Christmas Candlelight to propose to her. I had never stayed at the inn before then but after that visit, we were hooked. We recently came back to the Inn in April 2010 for our honeymoon. I will swear the service was even better this visit. When we checked in, they found out it was our honeymoon and upgraded our room and provided us with complimentary champange in the room. This place is so friendly and beautiful, why stay anywhere else. Everything is so professional, the staff is extremely friendly and will go the extra mile to help you. The rooms were very clean and I don't think there is a bad view from any room. We sat out in the pool one night just looking up at the stars wondering how the Vanderbilts must have felt in this slice of heaven on earth. We will stay no where else but here while we visit this area. A+

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I just got back from a weekend at the Inn. I go on cruises every year and this was like a cruise but no water. The staff from the time you drive up to the gate until leave are genuinely friendly. I never got the impression that I was not welcome or that they were just putting up with me. I do not regret one penny that I spent. It was not cheap and I was treated like I was the most important visitor they had. The staff at the Inn and at Antler Hill and the Estate were great. We booked a Grand King Bed and Breakfast Package. At check in were offered the chance to upgrade to a Jr. Suite for a modest sum. The suite was very roomy and had a huge shower and jetted tub. After walking all over on Friday and Saturday the jetted tub was wonderful. I booked the Behind the Scenes and Rooftop tours at the House. Very reasonable prices. Guides were knowledgeable and friendly. I had to leave one tour early, and someone came to escort me to main entrance. The tour was in the sub basement and it would have taken me a long time to find my way out. DO THE SEGWAY tours. I took the beginners segway tour and had so much fun I booked the private tour. The guides (Reagin and Jim) took there time and taught us how to ride and did an excellent job of telling us about the estate. If you want to go up to the House you have to take the private tour. I want to go back and see the flower carpet and take an actual garden tour.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Let me start by saying that Biltmore itself is a very special place for my wife and myself. I can still remember my first visit as a child with my parents in the 70's. Years later as an adult, myself and my soon to be bride would tour the mansion and gardens every few years, finding something new (additional rooms opened, a fresh adjustment to the winding path through the house, the stable area caringly transformed into a restaurant and shops) with each visit. Back then the tulip poplars lining the drive were the same age as the home and they towered overhead. Back then the estate literature and the employees referred to the garden adjacent to the formal italian garden as "the ramble" rather than "the shrub garden." In all seasons we have seen and been enchanted by this lovely estate. We have glimpsed a deer family frolicking (appropriately enough) in the deer park at the rear of the house, even as no one else on the terrace at the time seemed to even notice. I proposed marriage among hundreds of pink roses in the walled garden as the staff presented a bouquet of a few more. Our one and only candlelit Christmas tour thus far would by shear luck coincide with a 6" snowfall (an event not at all common on the southern Appalachians) making for a truly beautiful evening. A return trip for the final night of our honeymoon in a nearby bed and breakfast would provide the news that an inn on the estate itself was in the works. On yet another visit we would stroll through the ramble and (again by chance) experience a humongous yoshino cherry tree in full bloom... at least forty feet tall... billions of tiny white and pink petals being blown around the garden. The yoshino that we subsequently planted in our front yard confirms for us each year of the luck we had in viewing that site - full bloom lasts no more than 72 hours or so.

All of these things forever link our hearts and minds with the estate, and it is with this background that I offer a (longer than I intended) review of our stay.

The hotel - a modern architectural interpretation of Biltmore House itself and set high on a hill overlooking the winery, fields, french broad river, and the pisgah national forest beyond, the ambiance is really very, very nice. Almost all of the inn's amenities are oriented around the "backyard" and the view. An outdoor pool and whirlpool is tucked away off to one side minimizing the number of rooms and guest areas exposed to marathon "marco-polo" games. It is very refreshing to see that the hotel pool IS NOT the center of the hotel universe. In fact, the pool is accessed by the third floor room corridor and non-obtrusive signs indicate that pool attire is not approved of... well outside of the pool area basically. You do not see wet guests with coolers and float toys traipsing about the rear patio nor the lobby. Menus and a phone for placing room service orders are conveniently located at the pool area as well as fresh towels. From the large outdoor patio you can see Biltmore House in the distance (the far distance) and even at 1/16 it's original size it dawns on you the size of the estate. Walking paths with Adirondack chairs and manicured lawns and landscaping make for a relaxing place to take in the view (always the view). I must admit that a slight detraction exists in that adjacent to the winery Biltmore has installed a "village" of sorts and the parking lot for that village can be seen... it is in the distance and not a huge problem though.

The amenities - everything you would expect from a "high end" hotel. valet parking, doormen, room service, a spa (newly renovated and expanded, much larger apparently than an earlier review here tagged it) full service dining room, lounge type bar with live piano player each night, shuttle vans on the half hour to and from all other areas of the estate.

The room - We stayed in a "grand king" and though that is a few rungs up the room type hierarchy, it certainly is not the nicest accommodations available. Very spacious, and nicely appointed I cannot even fathom the idea that this room is less than adequate in someone's eyes. A beautiful view through a very large window and comfortable seating makes even staying within your room a very pleasant experience. Ask for a room on the winery side of the facility as all you can see from the opposite side (the front) is basically a nearby hill and the pull in driveway for guests and shuttle vans to and from other areas of the estate. It is not awful by any means as every inch of Biltmore seems to be landscaped, but I do think a discount for rooms on this side should be in order. The bath is also quite spacious with a separate tub and shower adding to the feel of "special" accommodations.

The staff – Friendly and accommodating. Knowledgeable and polite. NEVER any hint of attitude or weariness. ALWAYS a smile. I can honestly say in all of the trips over the years that we have made to Biltmore I do not remember a single problem with ANY employee. The spirit of Biltmore (and of George and Edith Vanderbilt) is alive and well within the Inn. Very professional.

The negatives – There are a few. (1) It is all quite expensive. Gratuities are not included, so the line about “vacationing like a Vanderbilt” is a little far fetched. (I don't think George and Edith's guests were shown how much their meal "would have" cost them had they not been a "guest") An all-inclusive pricing structure for the various packages would be better in some ways. It probably is overpriced, but it is also unique in my opinion… there isn’t another place “like Biltmore” to compare it to. My advice is to abandon all pretenses that you can scrimp here or there - decide you are going to spend the money and make spending it part of the fun. Throw a little cash around, Do something you never do in everyday life (carriage ride, spa treatment?) Charge this or that to your room. If you go, you wont get away with a "bargain," so make it part of the fun. (2) Biltmore has an odd habit of being completely non-uniform in their hours of operation for the various activities around the estate. One restaurant is open nightly till midnight, others will close at 2:00 and only serve lunch (or are closed to public for special events) The ice cream shop at the stable closes at 4:30 but the one at the village is open till 8:30. You cannot assume anything will be open when you think it will. (3) Biltmore Estate is a self-sustaining private enterprise (no government funding of any kind) and I applaud them for that. They have attempted to control crowding by requiring “reservations” to tour the house, but they still allow an awful lot of people in the home at any given time and bottlenecks do occur. You have to arrive very early to avoid this. (4) One of the most impressive rooms in Blitmore House is the library. Some of the inn literature mentions a "library" for relaxing. The lounge or bar and the "library" are one in the same, that is to say that the lounge (with table service) has some bookshelves in it. This is not at all the same thing in our opinion. (5) Plain eaters will have a very hard time finding something on any of the menus.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Located on the 8000 acre Biltmore grounds, staying here is truly entering a special world. If your primary reason in visiting Ashville is to tour the Biltmore House and gardens, this is THE place to stay. The hotel offers many packages and those that include admissions to the grounds are a decent value. Also, by staying on the grounds, you don't have to make advance reservations to tour the mansion. The level of service offered here is equivalent to a Ritz-Carlton. Staffers are extraordinarily polite and friendly. Robes and slippers are provided, and free water bottles are replenished twice daily. Dining options are varied and shuttle buses take you around the grounds, both to the house, gardens, the winery, and the several restaurants on the grounds. Activities are numerous, including many different tours of the mansion, horseback riding, carriage rides, bicycling, etc. There is a beautiful pool which we were only able to look at as the weather was overcast and cool. To summarize, this is a luxury property at reasonable rates that is unique in its setting. You won't regret staying here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This is such an incredible property and the best way to fully enjoy everything is to stay on the property. Downtown Asheville is so close it was great to go enjoy the wonderful organic restaurants and everything that Asheville has to offer.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 26 April 2010

My husband and I traveled to Asheville with friends and spent 3 nights in the Inn at the Biltmore. We purchased the Bed and Breakfast package which included breakfast and passes to the whole estate, including mansion and garden tours.

Although pricey, the B&B package proved the way to go. Breakfast is served until 11:00 each morning in the Dining Room and included a very nice buffet. You may order off the menu and/or have breakfast in your room as part of the package. The estate passes allowed to ride on an Inn guest shuttle to the mansion front door and bypass the regular tourist lines. We walked past all the lines and were touring within 5-6 minutes of arriving. The self-guided tour with audio is perfect to see and hear about this magnificant mansion.

Our rooms, though small, were elegant. The beds and linens were to die for. There are only 7 rooms with balconies, which I highly recommend. The balcony made our room seem larger and overlooked the front of the Inn and the mountains.

The lobby area is large, beautifully appointed, with a lounge area and large fireplace. The sofa in front of the fire was a coveted spot on the cool April evenings we were there. The Bistro restaurant, located away from the inn, but on the estate property, is charming. Our dinner in the Dining Room of the Inn was even better.

The Inn seems mainly directed toward adult guests...I saw only a few children and they seemed to be part of a wedding party. There is a pool, and a workout facility. I spent an afternoon in an Adirondack chair off the large outdoor patio area, reading and enjoying the mountains. Overall, we found the Inn to be a special place.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathy P
Lake Mary, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We stayed here for the last night of our honeymoon trip to NC. After spending 4 days in Highlands, NC at the Old Edward's Inn, it was hard to evaluate the Inn at the Biltmore. There was nothing wrong with it, we had just spent almost a week at the most amazing hotel we'd ever been to!

The Inn was perfect for our purposes- they welcomed us with champagne and a nice note in the room. We ate on property, but I cannot remember the name of where we ate- it was casual and we ended up meeting a couple sitting next to us who was from Central FL as well, which was pretty cool.

Overall, great stay, although I think it's only worth the $300 or so that we spent on it because of it's location. Room was nice but not "amazing". We would possibly stay here if we were to visit the Biltmore House again in the future.

Overall, no complaints. If you're visiting the Biltmore, I'd stay here! =]