“Wow - you blew me away!”

Karen Donatelli Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #5 of 26 Bakeries in Asheville
Price range: US$8 - US$10
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I spoke with Karen by phone to order a special cake for my daughters 16th birthday. I was out of town on a business trip, and wanted to send something special to my daughter. I could sense that Karen was in tune with the message I wanted to send, but the actual results blew me away. My daughter was THRILLED, and the cake was nothing short of spectacular. Thank you Karen!

1  Thank Paul M

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We've been getting Karen Donatelli's cakes for our family's birthdays for the past few years since we discovered her shop, and every cake is outstanding - decorated with beautiful fresh flowers and berries, adorned with gorgeous scrolled designs and chocolate shavings and gold-dusted sugars! Our current favorites are the chocolate raspberry and the lemon, but we've also loved the coconut, the tiramisu, the chocolate bourbon cherry, the banana strawberry, and her version of the Italian wedding cake!!!
Karen's pastries are also a special world-class treat. My wife, who loves chocolate eclairs, says: "Karen Donatelli's chocolate eclairs are the BEST in the WORLD". So I have to pick one up for her when I pick up our cake order. I must admit that I am not the best planner, so sometimes I'm in a pinch and call for a custom cake without much notice and Karen always comes through with amazing results. I've started getting her cakes for my coworkers and now they are spoiled and must have her cakes every year for their birthdays, by request!
The service is phenomenal also. Karen and Vincent are always so kind and polite. They've even come through in a pinch and delivered a surprise cake for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary party in downtown Asheville!
I can't say enough to adequately represent how beautiful and delicious Karen Donatelli's cakes are, so if you find yourself anywhere near Asheville, treat yourself to a sweet at Karen Donatelli's cakes.

1  Thank jcegoldstein
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Come here for some birthday cake !! it was delicious cake, and the staff very friendly !!! I will be back soon !

1  Thank Nyda S
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

It's easy to miss this small bakery and cafe in Haywood St. in the heart of the bustling downtown-- but don't! The pastry display case is filled with beautiful, absolutely delectable sweets, fresh every day after owner/chef Karen Donatelli has arisen in the wee hours of that morning to work her culinary magic. Limited but wonderful lunch offerings include fresh, flakey, buttery croissants with delicious house-made chicken or tuna salad .
On my first visit, I sat near a chatty, well-dressed patron who mentioned his son lives in Paris and he travels there often. He was waxing eloquent over the croissants. "These are as good as any in Paris," he exclaimed. Then paused. "Ah, hell. BETTER than Paris!"
For an amazing and beautiful special-order cake, a delightful luncheon respite with a friend, or a top-10 place to impress visitors, you'll find nothing better.

1  Thank Donnastwin
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

The key lime tart was excellent. The service was great. We asked for water and we were served water in vine glasses. The atmosphere there was inviting and extremely friendly. They welcomed you the minute you walked in the door.