“Gave it a try”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bear Creek RV Park & Campground
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Gave it a try”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Normally when we visit Asheville we have our go to place to stay but we thought we would try something new. This camp ground though nice is laid out very strangely. The entrance is very tricky and there are different levels in which you have to drive around houses to get to your site. We stayed on the lower level, the sites are very tight and our 40' 5th wheel had no extra space front to back. Parking is also an issue, we had to park next to our camper and with a 3500 dully there was not much space for enjoying your outdoor space. It did rain while we were here and the drainage was bad, we had a small river running thru the most of our outdoor space. We did not use the bath houses but I did walk down to look, they were not very clean, I was glad our RV has all those comforts. As for noise, yes you can certainly hear road traffic but it was not terrible and those roads lead you to everything fun and enjoyable about Asheville.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Candi C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at the park. First, the people managing the park were very welcoming, which always makes me happy.
Bear Creek is located close to everything! Anywhere we wanted to go was a just a short drive.
You have to pay attention when first entering Bear Creek as it can be a bit tricky. The park is on several levels. I recommend the sites at the top looking over the valley. We had a great view and shade from two trees. Last but certainly not least, the facility is very clean and well maintained. I'm looking forward to another stay!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The rv park is in a convenient location from which to explore Asheville and the surrounding areas. Easy on and off I-40. Loved the paved sites although they were rather close together and I missed not having a fire pit which is apparently against county regulations. The roads are narrow and I was grateful to be pulling a 19 ft travel trailer. There is highway noise but it was bearable. The wifi was excellent. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. What was most disappointing was the bathrooms. The shower stalls needed a good scrubbing with Tilex and there were small worms (really!) on the shower floors. I'd rate the bathroom a 6 at most. One suggestion for the owners: put up "no smoking" signs outside the bathroom/laundry area. I hate taking a shower and then having to run through clouds of smoke to get to the stairway.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Revladyu
Tularosa, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Good Sam Club gives this RV park very high marks. Don't believe them. This is the second time that Good Sam has let me down, so I won't use them for campgrounds again.

The good, the staff is friendly, the wifi was decent and that is about all.

The bad, the sites are very, VERY close together, you can barely get out of your door without running into your next door neighbors slide outs, hook ups, etc. The road that you are supposed to use to get to your site is barely the width of an RV (I don't care what kind you have) and with the small spaces, everyone is parking in the road making it a very hairy ride through to get to your site. If you want a pull through site, you are stuck facing the road with lots and lots of traffic on it. I suppose I'd call it clean, but the sites aren't level at all and I had to max out my jacks to get sort of level. The pool is a long hike from the pull through sites and really from most of the sites except for about 10 sites that look like they have some full timers in them. You are supposed to be able to see the Biltmore from here....I don't know where that might be but I never caught a glimpse of it.

Stay away.....and stay away from Good Sam recommendations. Stick with KOA, at least you know what you are getting with them.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bumpercarr

Travellers are raving about these Asheville hotels

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Bear Creek is a really mixed bad of good and bad, but mostly bad.
First the good: The staff is very friendly and helpful I do appreciate their efforts to make the best of the situation. The location is about a 5 min. drive from downtown Asheville and a nice little farmers market is very close.

Now the bad: Unfortunately the nice staff doesn't make up for the many issues at this site. The bathrooms are disgusting. They were moldy, hairy and all around dirty. Except for emptying the trash, I'm not sure when the facilities were last cleaned. The location is very noisy because the site sandwiched between two busy highways and there is constant traffic. I enjoy being outside and disconnected, but had to check work e-mail. Sadly, the wifi is terrible after 4pm and only so-so during the day. Lastly, there are no views of mountains except 3 choice spots. I made a huge mistake of believing the Good Sam reviews, never again.

We won't stay here again and would never recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SunnySkiesAhead
Atlanta, Indiana
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I read all the reviews - the good, the bad and the ugly - on this RV park before booking it in April 2014. So I went in a little skeptical. We did not have a bad experience at all; instead, it was very pleasant. The Internet and the cable both worked. The office staff was polite and helpful. We stayed for 9 days, longer than we originally intended. The park was clean. We have a 35-foot fifth-wheel and a crew cab pickup - a total length of 50 feet - with slideouts on both sides. We backed in on one try and had plenty of space on both sides between us and the neighbors. I will say that I think the best sites are at the top of the hill in the middle row. The sites are large enough - plenty of big motorhomes and trailers parked there - and it's the farthest away from the freeways, plus you get a nice view. The spaces at the far end are smaller and have older picnic tables and the pull-through spaces at the bottom of the hill are very close to the road, so again more road noise. I wouldn't choose either of those locations. The noise is not that bad at the top of the hill. Plus, you have to be REALISTIC about the noise from the freeway. Other than picking up and moving the park, the owners can't do anything about the noise. We go to Asheville 2-4 times a year. If you want to stay in an RV park that is close to the city and convenient to attractions, you are going to be by a freeway, no matter which park you stay in. There just aren't any other options. If being someplace quiet is more important than location, you need to go to one of the campgrounds farther up the mountains. There are plenty of places where it's quiet, but you're going to have to drive 30-40 minutes to get back into town. The pool wasn't open when we were there so I can't comment on that. If you are a person who needs the finest in accommodations, then you probably won't be happy here. But if you're looking for a comfortable place as a base of operations from which to enjoy the area and someplace that has a nice range of amenities, then you should get along fine here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Olivia M
Loudon, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked in over the phone for two nights in early July, 2014. This campgrounds is really old and not very well maintained. This site is right next to I-40, and the noise from the trucks is very loud. The sites are in several sizes, but our travel trailer barely fit. Mud all over the patio area and little amount of grass between sites. The sites were dirty, covered with the remains of July Fourth fireworks. Campgrounds is in the flight path of the Asheville, NC airport. More noise. Restrooms and outdoor pool were down a hill under the office. Not much help for someone who is handicapped. Cable TV did not work and staff tried, but offered no real solution. I don't know who gave the location such high ratings, but they must be blind. I give it barely a 3, not 9 or 10. Stay away from this location unless you like it basic camping.

Room Tip: Nothing further
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple