“This place is a "gem"”

Asheville Museum of Science
Ranked #70 of 194 things to do in Asheville
More attraction details
Owner description: Asheville Museum of Science (AMOS) is the premier exploratory science experience in downtown Asheville. With fully interactive exhibits, street level access, and a variety of educational programs, AMOS is a must visit for the whole family! AMOS is currently in our Soft Opening phase, as we continue to complete the rest of our exhibits. All admission prices are half off as we look towards our Grand Opening in the summer of 2017.
Reviewed 19 May 2013

What a wonderful little museum! The gem and mineral specimen were out of this world. Very interesting exhibits on how the minerals were formed. Some exhibits were about volcanic action. Some were about NC gold history. Some were about weather. All were great. The lady working at the front was very informative. My son enjoyed the scavenger hunt type activity they offered and he was able to pick 2 rocks to take home and we was thrilled. The gift shop was small but had some great finds at reasonable prices. There was a good selection of fossils for sale.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Had a wonderful time there. We had gone to activate a Groupon we had purchased. The museum does a great job of drawing kids into the exhibits with age appropriate scavenger hunts to complete through the museum. Our kids (7 and 5) loved that and the rock prize at the end. What we thought would be a 20 minute stop was an hour visit. A great hidden 'gem' in Asheville!

Reviewed 22 February 2013

We go to a lot of museums as we homeschool our four children. My son is very intrigued by geology and so I made a point of finding a museum in the South that accommodated his interest. I was very disappointed with this trip. We were in and out in twenty minutes, a rarity in our family. We did enjoy the mining exhibit and cracking the geode, but I would not go back again.

1  Thank Affenmom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

A great place to see and learn about the minerals from all over including the North Carolina area. The displays are nicely done. There are interesting write ups about the specimens. This is a small museum but everything is well done. You can buy a geode at the end and crack it open. Good for families if someone likes to collect stones.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

The Colburn Earth Science Museum is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. They have some of the most beautiful specimens and fossils. Recently they even had local artist exhibited! I have visited the Colburn wearing many hats; teacher, tourist, Ashevillian, and museum member. Each time I have been amazed the amount of enthusiasm the staff holds for innovative science education. They are very knowledgeable and capable. I recommend contacting to museum as they always seem to be having special events and discounts. I highly recommend a field trip or in-class visit for any school. They provide standard based lessons with high-tech gadgets like a geo-dome! A must-do in Asheville!