“Solid Blue Plate Lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tastee-Diner
Ranked #266 of 775 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Solid Blue Plate Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I went there for lunch (we have been there several times for lunch) on a Friday. It is small and populated by mostly working men at lunch. The servers are great (I personally enjoy being called 'honey'). There are daily specials: a meat + 3 vegetables and cornbread. The sweet tea is great. We had fried fish on this visit. It was not greasy, hot, moist, and tasty. The mac and cheese is delicious. The cole slaw was more on the vinegar side, but not too. And how could you not have fried okra with fried fish, cole slaw, and mac and cheese? Anyway, it was a trip down memory lane as these are foods I grew up with. The price is definitely right for the food. I will go back and try breakfast sometime. I would expect it to be a solid, great, down-home meal.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Janice S

Oklahoma City
“The Yummiest Breakfast in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

This lively mom and pop serves up such a great breakfast that the place was packed with locals even at 10:00 on a weekday morning. The great food more than lived up to the local hype about the place, and we'll definitely go back again.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank OKCgirl
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great Local Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We live here, and to get a down home, great value breakfast it just can be beat. This is NOT an "eclectic cafe" but an old school diner. With brown gravy and fresh sausage!

1 Thank Jeff R
Mills River, North Carolina
“Great Little Diner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I meet friends here for breakfast once a month. The food is excellent and the staff is friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is a throw-back to the 50's, just a great place to eat.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank grhagan
Asheville, North Carolina
“Fuel For The Fire”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is a place where blue collar workers on a modest budget come for the fuel that will get them through their day. Its simple food for simple folks but in the end; a little too simple/bland for my tastes. After a rough night of drink the misses and I drug ourselves over here for some breakfast. In addition to being a diner it also serves as a shrine to all things Nascar, with a collection of sponsor decorated hoods hanging from the ceiling, pencil portraits of various nascar legends adorning the walls and much more. I liked it, even though I dont really follow Nascar at all. Our waitress was a friendly gal and everyone seemed to know each other on a first name basis. Its just that kind of place. Anyhow, we ordered. Me, a ham and cheese omelet with biscuits and gravy, and for the lady with the bloodshot eyeballs, biscuits and gravy with bacon and home fries. The food was fine. Nondescript, but fine. I wasnt a fan of the brown gravy (figured it would be country gravy), because it didnt really taste like anything, but thats kind of missing the point. What is served here isnt food as much as it is, as I said earlier; fuel. And its CHEAP. Everything was around $5, with many items falling far below that amount. I dont know, they do fried chicken and 3 sides for like $6 or something. With them being about 500 yards from our porch, I could see us giving that a go somewhere down the line.
Grade: 87 Octane ( Cash Only folks, dont forget)

• Visited July 2013