“Asheville Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Asheville Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We have stayed here several times. It is the best Days Inn we have used. Note it is near a functional train track so there may be train noise at night. That doesn't keep my family from using this hotel. It is a great stay for a reasonable price. The rooms are always clean and well appointed with nice furniture. They are well equipped with refrigerators and microwaves. Breakfast, while simple, is generous and well maintained. The hotel is conveniently located for access to east Asheville, the VA Hospital, Blue Ridge Parkway, Warren Wilson College, and Black Mountain. Because it is on US 70 and right off Exit 52 of I-40 you can easily connect with the downtown and other sections of the Asheville area including the Biltmore House. I readily recommend it to my friends and relatives.

1 Thank Travelleigh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our stay was one of my most unpleasant hotel experiences ever.

#1. Attitude of Staff - After unpacking that evening, I drove the lot multiple times to realize there were no available parking spaces. Many are occupied by an extensive outdoor renovation. The desk clerk ARGUED with me about space availability, and sent me to circle yet again. I returned to find the desk clerk helping a prospective guest, hearing her turned away due to lack of availability, and then the desk clerk calling THREE other unaffiliated hotels on her behalf. In between the calls, I tried to ask her about my parking problem, but she said I was "next". When it was my turn, the desk clerk consented to let me leave my car exactly where the woman had parked near the entrance, but only AFTER she departed. It was several minutes before the woman moved her car as I waited, beyond aggravation at that point. (The clerk actually told me, "I suppose you're not paying to sleep in your car." and laughed.) All told and back to my room, it had taken over 30 minutes for me to park my car, and that should NEVER have happened! Upon checking out, the dark reception of the morning clerk (who also manned the buffet) was reminiscent of Winona Rider in Heathers.

#2. Train whistle - It awoke me three times during the middle of the night, despite the Blackberry playing White Noise on Volume 45, right next to my head. The first time I sat straight up, and it nearly scared the life out of me.

#3. Construction - During our stay in May, it covered the front side of the hotel and dumpsters occupied several spaces in the back. It was not unsightly, but do be aware the hotel does not look like the photo. More significantly, the construction takes up parking spaces. I noticed the hotel is still utilizing parking spaces for guests that are in near proximity to the scaffolding, closer than I'd feel comfortable parking to any type of construction.

#4. Other - The continental breakfast was not good, offered little variety. The hotel and room decor is dated.

Bottom Line - Hotels in Asheville are pricey. I'd tried to cut corners here, but overall, $25 more would've made a huge improvement and I'd have slept that night.

Sumter, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We love this place from turning off I 40 to getting back on it . We now take a top floor King Room always clean and smells great plenty of room aswell. You are 15 mins from the Biltmore and 3 mins from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Staff always happy and smiling from the desk to house keeping, breakfast lady ,I forget her name sorry, super helpful ,nothing to much for her . Oh one thing anybody that moans about the trains ,,,, we never hear them . Great place great staff will be back again in August.

Room Tip: King Room 302 its great,
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnBailey B
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

The Days Inn Biltmore East has been the place of choice for us for several years when we go back to Asheville for class reunions or to visit friends and relatives. It is very convenient - just off I-40, clean, and has a wonderful breakfast that is included. Except for the few trains you might hear at night if you are on the "back" side of the building, it is very quiet. We don't mind the train whistle - it reminds us of yesterdays in small towns. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: If train whistles might bother your sleep, ask for a room facing the front.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Silver City, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I had to go back and re-read the reviews in Trip Advisor to see if I had booked the wrong hotel. I was amazed that people really recommended this place. I have stayed in my share of old, cheap motels/hotels and even third world sleeping is better than this. The exterior is being renovated/repaired but they should have started on the inside. The place is smelly and dirty. We had to open our window to get some fresh air. Unfortunately we couldn’t leave it open because the train, blowing its whistle ran several times during the night. I think they shop once a week for the breakfast items so you have to eat stale muffins, bread, etc. I avoided the hard boiled eggs after hearing a few comments by others eating them. Was there anything nice – well the staff was helpful and efficient. Not being recommended by me.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Donna S
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed at this property while spending 2 nights in Asheville. We have gotten used to Hampton Inns, so this is definitely a step down, but we were looking for a reasonably priced property(hard to find in Asheville) and this place fit the bill. It was clean and was in the process of getting an exterior remodel (did not effect our room). The staff was friendly and breakfast as expected for Days Inn. Not quite the eggs and sausage of a Hampton Inn, but pastries, waffles, and cereal as expected. Our room was clean, and the location great (on I40) for visiting the Biltmore Estate. It was also very near The Coves(Billy Graham conference center).

Keansburg, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Had a great stay in Asheville. Two night stay. It is not the center of town which is perfectly acceptable. Its a straight short drive to center of Asheville. Rooms great. Comfortable bed, clean and modern bathroom. Nice continental breakfast. In process of renovating (which is not problem for guests). This has raised my awareness of Days Inn considerably. Joyce T

Room Tip: I prefer a higher floor but could not see where any of the room locations would be a problem