“Great place to browse!”

Southside, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great place to browse!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Good coffee and a quaint little bookstore are hard to beat anywhere! This Asheville establishment is a wonderful place to spend time!

Visited January 2014

Balsam, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“wouldnt recommend”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Weird little place, is not welcoming, lots of rules and notes,
Go spend your money elsewhere.
Parking is another thing, its not easy to find

Visited January 2014
Iowa
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Bookstore Vibe”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is not the biggest independent bookstore I've ever been to, but I thought it was well curated and displayed. I was tempted by lots of books that were not in my usual areas of interest. It also has that wonderfully cozy bookstore atmosphere that I love, the one where I feel like a world of opportunities is opening up around me.

I didn't order anything to eat or drink so I can't judge that. The seating seemed pretty minimal.

I gave this a five star rating based on it giving me the overall bookstore experience I enjoy the most..

Visited September 2013
Crystal Lake
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Wonderful Independent Bookstore”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

In an era dominated by big boxes and Internet sales, Malaprop's is a refreshing find. Not only is it a surviving independent bookstore but it's simply wonderful. It's iconic Asheville. The size is right, the collection is diverse and well categorized, the layout is inviting . . . and the staff truly cares. And I had one of the most serendisitous experiences of my life: I mostly read nonfiction but with an occasional novel from authors using that genre to bring an idea to life. There is one specific novel that I've been seeking for years in vain at bookstores and libraries and thought maybe was out of print - Aldous Huxley's utopian "Island" - and I checked in Malaprop's fiction section for the heck of it . . . and was so shocked to find one copy on the shelf. And it was denoted as a "staff pick" to boot. I live outside of a huge city (Chicago) and finally locate "Island" in Asheville. Thank you Malaprop's! We readers must keep Malaprop's alive and thriving. I was pleased to learn at the checkout that through their website, they can locate and ship any book to any location. They're not ever going to be Amazon so allow some time, but for future online book purchases, find your way to malaprops.com.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Stan P
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent childrens section, and neat stuff for grown ups”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Spent part of a fall afternoon with granddaughter in the children's section (she just plopped down, scoured the shelves and started reading), while I roamed the stacks looking for good books. Found 3 that I couldn't find at B&N at home. Great place to people watch, inside, and on the sidewalk outside.

Visited October 2013