“Great B & B in Residential Area”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
A Bed of Roses Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Springfield, IL
“Great B & B in Residential Area”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in the Turret Suite. It was a lovely room at the front of the house with a separate sitting room with a fireplace and a small balcony. The jacuzzi is huge. The hosts were very helpful and it was great having a couple of cats around so we didn't miss our own cats. The walk to town isn't bad although the last part is uphill so going to dinner at the end of the day was a little tiring. The breakfasts were good. We were afraid they would be too "gourmet" for our tastes but we were both happy. The only quibble is that breakfast is served only at 9 a.m. which is later than we usually start our day when on vacation. We filled the time by taking walks around the neighborhood.

Room Tip: From what we saw the Turret Suite is the best room in the inn.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrontierLake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed at Bed of Roses in early May. Bill and Emily are Wonderful hosts. We had the best room, the Turret room which had a jacuzzi tub, waterfall shower which were great, although it is a big step up to get in. However, unless you really want a jacuzzi and plan to spend a lot of time in the room, you can do very well in any of the other rooms.

Bill and Emily put on a terrific breakfast, almost too fancy for me. They are perfect hosts, very friendly.

One reviewer complained about hearing other guests, but we didn't and all the rooms were filled. Another person remarked, positively, that the 9:00 am breakfast was great because you got to meet all the others guests. I agree. We met some very nice, and diverse people, which we wouldn't have if everyone came down separately.

Walking to town can be a hike, and it's uphill getting there. Regardless the location works. It's a nice residential neighborhood, lots of schoolkids. Good to jog or walk.

Downtown Asheville is a neat place. Lots of restaurants, three or four specialty chocolate shops. Entertainment is several places, including on the street. Pack's is a great bar with terrific service and beer selections. If you want to buy beer go to Bruisin Ale. Absolutely the best beer shop I've ever seen, and I've seen lots.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrWillie
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Wow! We absolutely loved our stay at Bed of Roses. The neighborhood was beautiful to walk around and an easy walk to downtown (10 minutes or so). Bill and Emily were like staying with family, so friendly and welcoming. We were offered a room upgrade, since the young lady in our original room chose to stay in the smaller room upstairs. The room was gorgeous and comfortable. The bed, truly heaven. The breakfast and the company at breakfast were wonderful! We had to leave early for a balloon ride (one that never happened because of the shady balloon company... I do not recommend RO Frank aviation), but Bill made us muffins very early in the morning before we left. We will definitely be back to Bed of Roses soon and we highly recommend the B & B!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K8erose
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We're so sorry you had a bad experience with the Balloon Ride company. We would really appreciate it if you would email us with the details so we can look into it. We definitely want to be sure we're not recommending anyone to a less than reputable company. We want to make sure visitors to Asheville have nothing but great experiences here!
Bill & Emily
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights in A Bed of Roses for our first anniversary at Christmas time. It is charmingly decorated both indoors and out. The host and hostess paid careful attention to details in our rooms and were very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed their two friendly cats who roamed around the house. The breakfasts and afternoon treats were upscale and delicious. We hope to come here again sometime! A plus was the close location to downtown, Biltmore, and Grove Park Inn.

Room Tip: Loved the turret room with adjoining sitting room on the upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I had a business meeting on a Monday and decided to travel out to Asheville on Saturday for some "me" time. I could not have picked a better place. Bill and Emily were so warm and welcoming; the house is beautiful and my bed was amazingly comfortable. (I normally have trouble sleeping in any bed but my own.)

The clawfoot soaking tub in my private adjoining bathroom was the perfect place for relaxing and reading... the fireplace in my room made for such a cozy atmosphere.

The breakfasts were fabulous... healthy, beautiful, and so delicious. I've told all my friends in Durham about A Bed of Roses and I don't imagine I'll be staying anywhere else on my next visit to Asheville. I love how close it is to the great restaurants and cool part of the city.

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone, one of the smaller rooms would be perfect. I stayed in the Wilkinson Ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We hope to see you here at A Bed of Roses again soon.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I spent two night at A Bed of Roses. We were there to visist Biltmore, which we really enjoyed. I have been to many bed and breakfasts (we try to stay in them whenever possible)...and even though we had a pleasant experience, it had more to do with the location than the inn. First, the pros...we enjoyed having breakfast with the other residents...most B&B's give you a range of time for breafast, but here everyone eats at 9:00 am...Great morning conversations! We stayed in one of the larger rooms in the inn...it had a sitting room in addition to a bathroom with jaccuzzi...the room was as described...but even though we were on the second floor we could hear the conversations in the room next door...so FYI...noise travels in this inn. The breakfasts were good (especially the coffee)...but it was your typical B&B fare...fruit course, main dish with more fruit. Some of the cons... this is more of a pet peeve than anything else, but in the kitchen there is tea, lemonade, and sodas...but they charge you for the sodas...really? In my honest opinion it would be better not to have them at all than to charge for it...silly that I noticed, but it just seems odd...I've never seen this at another B&B. Also, in the room there is an envelope for a tip for the maid with a letter for "suggestions" on tipping...again...really? This bed and breakfast is in a very residential area (my husband and I loved the area) but it is definitely not within walking distance from downtown (unless you are looking for a good workout rather than a stroll). Again, overall a pleasant experience, but nothing exceptional. We will definitely return, but probably not to a bed of roses.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Genna A
EmilyMcIntosh, Owner at A Bed of Roses Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
I’m sorry to hear that your stay was less than exceptional. We try very hard to exceed our guests’ expectations.
Our inn was built in 1897 and while insulation has been added, like any old house, the rooms are not soundproof. Most guests understand this and moderate the volume of their voices to be considerate. I’m sorry this was not the case with your neighbors.
As to the soda situation, this was a policy that we inherited from the previous owner. I have frankly never been comfortable with it and we will definitely revisit the policy. Thank you for your feedback in that regard.
Our inn is five and a half blocks from downtown Asheville. Most people consider it walking distance and I don’t believe you will find another B&B in Asheville that is closer to downtown. That said, I am the first to advise people to park at the Civic Center and save their feet for exploring town!
I’m most surprised about you comments on our breakfasts being “typical”. Every guest book entry raves about the food, and we put a great deal of effort into our breakfasts. We are truly sorry that you didn’t enjoy our food and our hospitality more.
Bill and Emily McIntosh
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I planned a nice romantic weekend in Asheville. We chose A Bed of Roses for the location, asthetics, and price. All of our requests were quickly meet, breakfast was enjoyable, and Emily and Bill were most pleasant and inviting. We both had a great weekend together and would recommend this B&B.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple