“Poor Customer Service”

Ranked #8 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Henderson, North Carolina
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I arrived on Friday, Sept. 7th and the customer service I received was nothing but poor. I have stayed at many Hilton properties before and never have been hasseled before like I was at this hotel. Even after getting two sets of creditials the guy behind the desk still hasseled me about receing a government rate. I was so frustrated at one point I almost left without checking in.
This trip was for 3 nights and on the second day housekeeping forgot to leave any towels or amenities in the room. Therefore, I called down to request some and the front desk person, same as the one who checked me in, did nothing but laugh about it and responded it happens.
Finally, when I spoke to the manager at check out about the situation, I was yet drilled about receiving the government rate again.
As I returned this past weekend to the Asheville area yet again for work, I choose another chain hotel a block away, with superior customer service
The Homewood Suites Asheville has work to do to live up to the Hilton Brand.

Room Tip: Choose are room near the elevator as there is only one.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AllanB42
true7, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Thank you for staying with us while traveling on Federal Government Business in our area. I am sorry we did not provide you with better customer service. Please note that when checking in to stay on a Federal Government Per Diem rate requires presentation of a Federal Government ID, Federal Government Travel Orders or a Federal Government Credit Card for payment. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. We want you to know that we will use your review to improve on all levels. We have also addressed our housekeeping staff in regards to your inconvenience as well. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Troy Ferguson - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The Asheville Homewood feels more like home to me than any of the other hotels I have visited in Western NC. The rooms are always clean and smell fresh, the staff friendly and helpful. The parking lot is well lit for the late nights out. Beds are super comfortable.

The only issue I have ever had here is the room key (cards) tend to stop working before the posted checkout time. I often travel with my family and we generally sleep late and leave just before checkout. I have on more than once occasion had to get my key reprogrammed at 11am when checkout is noon. Very minor inconvenience comparatively.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your warm comments about our hotel and team. We are happy you enjoy the hotel cleanliness, the service we provide, our well lit parking lot and our beds. I am sorry you have had trouble with the magnetic key cards. They are programmed to work until well past checkout on the day you are leaving but can be easily de-magnetized. I hope we can resolve this recurring issue on a future visit. Thank you again for coming "home" and we look forward to seeing you when you visit our area again soon.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We spent three nights for this family trip to Asheville. We have a larger family so we decided to stay in a suite to have the extra room. The space was certainly better for a larger family size, and the room was clean. The biggest qualms I had was the breakfast wasn't the greatest (they didn't have as good of a selection as other hotels as I have stayed at), and the location was in a strange place in Asheville, even though it was near the Asheville Mall and near some brand-name restaurants. The hotel itself is next door to a shady hotel. However, the hotel seemed pretty secure and we would go back to this hotel and use it as one of our options.

Room Tip: I would advise not to stay in any of the rooms in the 1st floor because of all of the foot traffic a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank truthteller4life
Thank you for staying with us on your recent family trip. We are happy you enjoyed the extra space of one of our suites. I apologize you did not enjoy the breakfast selection as we offer variety and try to cater to what our guest's like. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.
mt gretna pa
Reviewed 11 September 2012

There are lots of good hotels in Asheville. This hotel has the oddest layout I've ever seen. The elevator is as far from the lobby as it could be. Once you navigate the maze your room will probably meet your needs. Do yourself a favor and stay at any of the nearby Hilton or Marriott brand name properties

Room Tip: Avoid the stack of rooms ending in 15
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank tom m
Thank you for staying with us while visiting the Asheville Area. I am sorry you were not happy with the hotel layout, or the location of your suite in proximity to the elevator. Please know that we try to cater to all requests and do have many that like suite locations near the elevator. We appreciate your comments and hope you will give us another try on future visits to our area.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Spent 2 nights in Asheville, NC weekend after Labor Day 2012. 1st night in the Homewood Suites (Hilton) and 2nd night in SpringHill Suites (Marriott).

Homewood's king suite was nicely appointed and clean. Full kitchen including full size fridge and range top. Ceramic tile entrance and bath with nice appointments. Complimentary HOT breakfast served buffet style on REAL dishes with REAL flatware in their large dining room was a nice weekend touch - during the week your evening meal is also part of the package.

I think next time we will request a suite on the back of the hotel - a lot of emergency vehicle sirens kept things noisy - even on the top floor (613). This far end of the hall was quiet internally - even with the ice machine across the hall - good sound insulation.

As a comparison we stayed at the SpringHill Suites (Marriott) the next night for the same rate - not impressed -

SpringHill's hotel decor and king "suite" were right out of the mid-'60's - everything in the entire hotel was in shades of "mint green" and when we entered our room it was "Frebreezed" to death - had to open the window and turn on the vent fan to cut the air to breathing consistency - wonder what else they were "covering up". Teeny fridge and microwave and not much else - and at the same price the Homewood was charging. Breakfast was usual "continental fare" - on Styrofoam with plastic - unimpressive.

One would think that hotel chains would know what their competition was "selling" and try to keep pace. Would have stayed at the Hampton but they didn't have any fridges in any of their rooms - for almost $200/night I would have expected a little more from the Marriott brand.

Know where I'll be staying next time I'm back in Asheville -- hope those reading this learn from our experiences -

Room Tip: Do the obvious - stay AWAY from the elevators and stay on the top floor if possible. Get a room tha...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mtnpotter
Thank you for spending part of the Holiday weekend staying with us while in our area. We are glad you enjoyed our hot full breakfast and the manner in which we serve it. I apologize for any road noise that you may have heard during your stay. Thank you for your comments and comparison and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Raleigh/Durham
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I booked a King bedroom suite for a long weekend - both for work and for fun. One night it was just me and the next night, three adults and a baby. It was a very spacious room, with a full kitchen, small 2-person table in the kitchen, a desk, sleeper sofa and chair. The bedroom had a good amount of room, though it was a bit tight for the crib. I don't recommend the sleeper sofa for more than one night. Not surprisingly, it was creaky, not very comfortable, and very noisy!

The sink in the bedroom had a lot of countertop space, drawers and cabinets to stash stuff. The separate bathroom was spacious with a nice shower, Bath and Body Works toiletries. I would probably not recommend the sixth floor rooms... The hot water heater must have been in the basement, as it took at least a couple of minutes for anything warmer than ice water to arrive!

The hot breakfast was very nice, with both days having an egg item, a breakfast potato, and a meat. Cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, juices, coffee and an assortment of breads were always available.

Just minutes from downtown Asheville, the hotel is in a convenient location with lots of restaurant options nearby. All of the staff were polite, courteous and helpful. Parking is plentiful and the lot was safe and well-lit. Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: I didn't hear much noise on the top floor, though we were on the opposite end from the elevators...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us while being in Asheville for work and play. We are happy you enjoyed one of our suites, our hot full breakfast, and location. We hope to see you again on your next trip.
massachusetts
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed here in August 2012 for 6 nights. We had initally been planning to stay at a different suite hotel and found that the rooms were too small for our family of 4. So we called the Homewood Suites and got a tour from Kori (who was incredibly friendly, helpful, and accomodating) and were sold! We are so glad that we stayed here. It was clean, quiet, and magnificent. The breakfasts were delicious and plentiful. The front desk staff and hotel managers (Troy, Robbie, Laura) were always willing to help. Our first floor room was large and lovely. We will stay here again and again when we return. It should be the number one hotel in Asheville!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for relocating here while visiting the Asheville Area with your family. We are pleased you enjoyed one of our spacious suites, our hot full breakfast and the service we provided. Thank you for sharing your warm comments and we look forward to seeing you when you return to our area.