“Nice room, great breakfast, helpful staff”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Ohio
“Nice room, great breakfast, helpful staff”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

A small group of friends and I stayed here for two nights as part of our visit to the nearby Biltmore Estate. There was a class reunion and, judging from the assortment of directions available to local weddings, possibly multiple wedding groups at the hotel, but we did not have any noise or disturbance from any of them. Since we were not part of any of those groups we were at the far end of the hotel on the second floor, so perhaps that insulated us from some of the noise and activity. As a Priority Club member I was offered a coupon for a free continental breakfast which offered a good variety of food - I am a breakfast person and love all breakfast foods, and was able to find all I needed there. The room itself was nice, perhaps not as "fancy" as I would have expected for the price, but the beds were very comfortable, all was clean, and the room spacious. We did enjoy the patio attached to the room, and the addition of the little bags with lavender spray, eye mask, and earplugs was a plus as was the drapery clip - I think I will start taking some sort of clip with me to all hotels! I felt that for my needs the price was high, but we did not want to take advantage of any of the fitness amenities; if a person is looking to use those options, I am sure the price is more fitting.

Room Tip: If traveling on a weekend or times that groups are likely to be there, a room farther from the lobby...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Tyler
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I stayed here 2 nights. Wonderful experience. The room was clean and comfortable with upgraded linens,
The view of the mountains was spectacular, especially from the big rocking chairs on the veranda!
I ate dinner the first night @ the restaurant and the food was so good, I ate there the second night also!
It's only a few miles from town, so you have the best of both-easy assess to "action" while being in quiet, restful environ otherwise.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mercynurse62
LoriHol, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Thank you for the positive feedback from your last stay. It is always a pleasure to hear great comments which will be shared with our staff. We were pleased you enjoyed the rocking chairs and restaurant so much. We are looking forward to you staying with us again and want to make it the best stay yet. If you need anything during your next visit please do not hesitate to call or come by the front desk. It is my goal to make sure everyone on my team gives great service.
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The grounds are well kept, and the lobby was nice. The staff seemed kind. The location was listed as "downtown" on different websites, but it's a little bit of a drive. Our room was on the lower floor that over looked the golf course. It sounded good, but it was very much like a basement room. The room smelled and felt very musty. The sheets did not look clean so we ended up putting our own that we had in the car. We were right beside an elevator and an ice machine, so we did not get much sleep. The word resort can be misleading, so if you are looking for an up to date, clean, comfy room...I would not recommend this place. IF you do stay here, just try to avoid the lower level and request to be away from vending and elevators. Next time we will pay a little extra and stay in one of the newer hotels downtown.

Room Tip: Not on lower level and not near vending and elevators.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
LoriHol, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Thank you for your comments. Noise around the elevators and vending machines in hotels are always a bit of a problem and are sorry you did not request a different room, which we would have been happy to do as long as we have availability. We hope you will give us another chance to provide outstanding customer service and hospitality in a comfortable, quiet room.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here in early August 2011. I rate this hotel as Poor, only because it is rated as 3.5 stars and cost a lot, and did not meet our expectations. We got this hotel through a discount website, so I cannot complain too much, however, I think other people that are looking to pay full price for this hotel should beware. The corridors in the hotel just reminded me of being in a nursing home. They were dark and outdated. Also, in the room, even with the AC on, it felt damp, our clothes felt damp, even the ones we had not worn yet. The hotel has a very nice work out facility which is no add'l charge, which should be taken advantage of. The hotel is not walkable to downtown, but it is only a couple minutes driving, the only probably being is that parking spaces are at a premium downtown. I probably would not stay here again and opt for the Renaissance instead.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are installing new lighting in the hallways and carpet in most of the common areas and are looking into why your room would have felt damp. We are pleased you found the fitness center facility and were able to take advantage of all the saline lap pool, hot tub, tennis courts, golf course, and all the fitness equipment like spin bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, free weights, cardio machines, aerobic classes, etc. We also provide on-site child care when at the club and a full service spa is scheduled to open this fall. We hope you will give us another chance to provide outstanding customer service and hospitality.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I booked this property via Priceline and received a good rate. The hotel was clean, offered several resort activities: golf, etc. The restaurant was OK and a good deal for members of their hotel club, as a discount was offered for it. The staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for the positive feedback from your last stay. It is always a pleasure to hear such great comments and we appreciate you taking the time to write them. Be assured that your comments will be shared with our staff. Other guests can take advantage of Priority Club Rewards, which you can sign up for at no charge. Besides points accruing for future discounts that never expire, some of the benefits we offer include discounted golf, free bottles of water, "perks" at check-in, 10% off all food at our restaurants, and you can even request a late check out time. We hope you will stay with us again and want to make it the best stay yet. If you need anything during your next visit please do not hesitate to call or come by the front desk.
Huntersville,NC
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Stayed there for a weekend with wife and friends. Rooms are large and nice, but somewhat dated. Lots of noise from other rooms though and the property does not police the halls very well as I was up from 3-4AM when a wedding party was having a great time on my hall. Other than the noise from this group, the stay was enjoyable. Rates were a little high in my opinion unless you plan on using the resort amenities such as tennis and the pool.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your mostly positive feedback from your last stay. Hallway noise can be a problem in most hotels and we are looking into a couple of options to resolve this issue. If tennis and the pool are not what you are looking for, perhaps the Zipline Canopy Adventure on property or the fitness center? All guests of the Crowne Plaza Resort and vacation villas have full access & privileges to the Asheville Racquet Center Downtown, our on-site fitness center. You can take advantage of the saline lap pool, hot tub, tennis courts, golf course, and all the fitness equipment like spin bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, free weights, cardio machines, aerobic classes, etc. We also provide on-site child care when at the club and a full service spa is scheduled to open this fall.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The staff (Lori Hollifield especially) were incredibly awesome!! I travel to Asheville often and never knew this hotel existed and it is a huge resort. Zip lines, golf, tennis, pool.....tons to do! I had been booked at another hotel and luckily got the last room at the Crown Plaza. Unfortunately it was a double bed situation that I was not happy about seeing that another hotel had given me a smoking room. I travel ALOT so hotel service is important!!! Lori and the staff upgraded me to a villa for the same price, got me a queen bed and went above and beyond to ensure things were perfect for my stay! Thank you guys! I will be back to Asheville and more importantly I have switched my hotel chain away from one brand to Holiday Inn.......

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the positive feedback from your last stay. It is always a pleasure to hear great comments which will be shared with our staff. We were pleased to accomodate your request for a queen bed and happy that you enjoyed the villa. We are looking forward to you staying with us again and want to make it the best stay yet. If you need anything during your next visit please do not hesitate to call or come by the front desk. It is my goal to make sure everyone on my team gives great service.
Lori Hollfield