“Nice Suprize”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed here because it was the recommended hotel for an out of town wedding we were attending. Although, a little difficult to find, the hotel was nice, clean and friendly. Nothing fancy or luxurious, but nicer than expected and pleasant. It is easy enough to rate a hotel when everything is going well, but you really get a sense of the personality of a place when there is a problem. The last day we stayed there the power was to be turned off for 6 hours. I was in the spa, and my facial ran late and was cut off before it was finished. The ladies could NOT have been more appologetic, they gave me the facial free of charge and gave me cards to come back at no charge. The spa was really lovely, and I've sampled spas all over the country, and even though it was cut off early, it was the best facial I've every had. I'd definitely stay there again with no hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, and I appreciate your feedback in regards to how your spa treatment was handled due to the circumstances. As you mentioned, one can tell alot about a hotel when problems arise and the staff is forced to take action to accomodate guest needs. We take great pride in our customer service here at the Crowne Plaza, and I am glad you were able to leave satisfied, even with something as monumental as losing power during your spa treatment. I hope you are able to come back for another visit in the future. Thanks!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Great hotel nice and quite, not far from Downtown. The hotel is a little hard to get to but once you figure out the lay of the land its not a problem. The hotel has a shuttle back and forth to the downtown area and its only a 5 to 10 minutes.

Room Tip: The hotel is in an area off to it self so no worries about noise.
1  Thank Eaglerider1954
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to give your feedback regarding your stay. I agree that we are the best kept secret in Asheville with such a large property so close to downtown, and I'm glad that you took advantage of our amazing shuttle. We enjoy being so convienient to so many major roads while at the same time, maintiaining a quiet and peaceful property with no highway noise. Hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was probably one of the worst Crowne Plaza's I've stayed at. It was still nice, but it was very dated and felt like an old hotel. Although, the location is great! I would stay again, I just wish they would put some money into updating the rooms. We were in an Executive room and it sure didn't feel like one.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

I am very sorry that you had an unfavorable experience at our resort recently, and I wanted to tell you a bit about the continuing updates we have planned for the property. In the past year we have opened an 8,000 square foot fitness complex, full service spa, zip line course, new wireless internet system, new hallway lighting, and have recently completed new carpeting in our lobby, banquet rooms, and meeting spaces. In the coming months as part of Crowne Plaza's freshen up program, we have all new bedding in our guest rooms and we will soon be extending the new carpeting into the guest hallways/rooms. Though we are an older hotel that was originally a Hilton, we have done some amazing upgrades and the owner has many plans for the future including an indoor ice skating rink. We hope you can come back and give us another try in the future. Thanks!

Reviewed 27 May 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here. Both times were nice. It isn't a 5 star hotel, but still nice. We like the location plus the rooms are nice.

We didn't try any of the resort facilities as we just needed a hotel. But the hotel is relaxing, clean, and quiet.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Thank you so much for posting your feedback for us, and I am very glad that you are one of our valued repeat guests. Though we strive to have the service/staff of a 5 star hotel, we are listed as a 3.5 star hotel on most sites. We appreciate your return business, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

We were greeted at the front desk by Ian. He was very personable and gave us a better room than what a booking on the internet provides. We were on the 3rd floor with views of downtown Asheville. The room was large and very comfortable. The hotel is beautiful and is located in a area just out of walking distance of downtown Asheville.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Ian is an outstanding Front Desk agent and I am so glad that he was so pleasant during your check-in process. Though we are just out of walking distance from downtown Asheville, we do operate a $5/person roundtrip shuttle to/from downtown 24 hours a day. Next time you are in town, hop on the shuttle and we'll be glad to take care of you!

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Great hotel. Easy access and clean room. Great beds. Great location. Everyone is friendly and knowledgable about downtown items.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for you outstanding review. You have highlighted many of our best features, and we strive for all of our guests to have the same kind of experience. Come back soon!

Reviewed 15 May 2012

I used Priceline requesting a hotel in Central Asheville and got the Crowne Plaza. The location was not really what I was looking for. I was hoping for hotel in walking distance to downtown, but it turned out to be okay. It was only a short 5 minute drive to downtown and the front desk arranged for a cab for us on Sat night and it cost about $10, with tip one way for 2 people.

After I reserved the hotel with Priceline, I called the hotel directly to request a room with a king bed and a view and NOT of the parking lot. They honored our request and we were on the 5th floor with a view of the zip line. Highly recommend to call and request a room on a higher floor and not facing parking lot. The hotel is older but it was clean and I think they have done a great job in what they have to work with.

The room was spacious with 1 king size bed and love seat. Yes, the bathrooms are small and wish they had a vanity outside the bathroom for a hair/make-up station. They did have a nice floor length mirror with a bench under it which would have been fine to do make-up at, except there was no lighting so that was not an option.

The only real pet peeve I had was the shower did not drain properly, that was annoying.

There is an issue with noise, you can walk down the hall and hear people talking in their rooms, mind you not loud talking just normal volume. It looks like they designated our floor as a quite floor so we didn't hear any kids or any big groups making a lot of noise, so it really wasn't an issue.

We had the breakfast buffet on Sunday. Think it was about $10.99 (or something right around there) for hot breakfast buffet and $5.99 for cold breakfast. We got the hot breakfast which came with make your own omelet (limited topping, Spinach, ham, cheese, Onion, mushrooms and peppers) and made to order waffles. For the price it was just so so.

They do have golf, tons of tennis courts, zip line and indoor pool with fitness center that is not attached but a short drive or walk from the main hotel. We did not use any of these facilities though. I did try to call the spa they say is on the facility. I left message 2 times with no return call. Guess the spa didnt want our buisness. Not sure if they are connected with the hotel or independent but that was not good service.

Honestly, when I go someplace new I don’t expect to spend my time in the hotel. I want to be out exploring the area. So all in all the hotel was appropriate and comfortable for what we were looking for.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your feedback. It seems as if you had a pleasant experience at our property overall and I hope you can come back to visit another time. I apologize for your issues with hallway noise as well as your slow draining shower, and I will have our engineering department resesolve the drain problem right away. I am also very sorry that you problems getting in contact with our new Spa. I believe they had just reopened during your stay under new management and they were in the process of replacing their phone/computer system. This is absolutly no excuse, and I will relay this feedback to the Spa Director. Again, I appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback and thank you for posting your comments.