“Great location”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I attended a conference held at this hotel so spent 3 nights there. It has difficult to find at first, using my map quest directions. The location is so close to downtown Asheville and the hotel has a convenient shuttle service that runs into downtown until very late at night, for people like myself who found the roads confusing, and didn't want to drive.
I found it a very comfortable hotel, relaxing, with the exception of a noisy neighbor across the hall. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching the people ziplining and listening to the sounds of nature. It is has a peaceful setting, lovely grounds.
The entry is very inviting with a comfortable seating area and straight ahead a huge stone fireplace in the dining area that really adds to the ambiance. I would definitely stay again the next time I visit Asheville.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time at our Resort, and its great that you were able to take advantage of so many of our amenities such as our downtown shuttle, expansive grounds, and beautifully decorated dining areas. I can totally understand your frustration with getting turned around in Asheville as our road system is a bit quirky at times, but I'm glad you were able to find us, and have plans to return in the future. Next time you'll have to try your hand at ziplining and maybe follow it up with a spa treatment at Adelaide Spa!

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Great hotel to bring your family. Loved they are pet friendly and the patio access. The price for the quality of our hotel room was okay. I enjoyed their bar & grill. The bartender was very helpful and provided attentive service. The food and drinks were reasonably priced for a resort. Room service food wasn't the best. I noticed the pool was very active and many guests seemed to be enjoying. I plan to stay here again on my next visit. The rooms are a bit tired and the plumbing isn't the greatest though. Oh and the check in desk is understaffed. They need more than one person because everytime I passed the lobby there was a long line. Oh and the double full beds are very small for a couple so go with a king.

Room Tip: They were working on building A's roof at the time so be sure to inquire if your room is in a bu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina H

Thank you so much for leaving such a great review of our resort, and I am so glad that you are thinking of a return trip in the near future. I appreciate your positive and constructive comments and we will utilize your review to continually better our property. I am a bit concerned about your comment about being understaffed at the front desk and after checking my schedule from that week, noticed that the only day there was one person on the desk was on your arrival date. Even though there was a phone operator and a manager on duty, I can understand your issues with seeing a line at the desk. The rest of your stay there were 2-3 desk agents on duty at any given time and lines should not have been an issue. I look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2012

We were terribly disappointed with the service of staff at the hotel. Arrived a 9pm in evening and a bellman was not available, waited nearly a half-hour for one to show after front desk was notified we required assistance with storing bicycles we brought on trip. After having us wait on nonexistent bellman we learn they do not have storage space. Wound up storing four bikes in our room. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable, and the bathroom is small and dated. The blackout curtain had holes in it. We had selected this hotel because of the pools. The outdooor pool was monopolized by a large family reunion replete with LOUD music. The indoor pool was closed. You would think they would have kept it open later to serve the other guests. This is not Crowne Plaza standards. Service and quality not worth the price.

Room Tip: Select a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

I am very dissapointed that you had such unpleasant stay at our property, but I thank you for sharing your feedback. I have no idea what day you checked in, but we do have bellmen available between 7 am and 11 pm to help with guest luggage or other guest needs. The bellmen was most likely running our shuttle van temporarily, but the front desk should have let you know if he was to be delayed in assisting you. I am sorry that his delay was not conveyed to you when you requested assistance. In regards to not having storage space, I remember talking with you personally about storing your bikes in our bellmen's closet since we had plenty of room, but you decided to take your bikes to your guest room instead which is perfectly fine. I understand your concern with not having a place to swim due to the private party being held, and we have actually extended our lower pool's hours since your stay to better serve our guests, as well as discontinued use of our upper pool for private parties due to a number of guest complaints. I hope you can give us another chance in the future on your next trip to Asheville!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Let me start by saying that the building and grounds are attractive. The non-management, not-front desk staff members were friendly and helpful within their means. Our room was large and clean. Luckily I had family and friends there for an event to make other aspects of the hotel tolerable. Check In was a mess. Staff had no idea about scheduling or customer service. There were only four luggage carts for a large property. Moreover, there is just one small elevator in each of the two wings. There are not even service elevators for housekeeping and bellhop. The front desk staff kept saying, "we're used to conventions" but the sorry evidence otherwise was right there in front of us. The facility MIGHT be suited to a small group with few conference materials, a flexible schedule, and prior plans to go off-property for lunch each day.When my sister spoke to a manager (whose name was posted by the elevators), out of concern that they're damaging their reputation, we got comped a breakfast. That really didn't make up for the wake-up call that wasn't ours, plus the other examples of poor planning. I hope the call was left over from our room's previous occupant, not that the desk jumbled up the numbers, making another guest miss a flight or something. Hint to all: turn your HVAC up full blast at bedtime and maybe you won't hear the 4am train.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Despite what you claim, we do host meetings/conventions of all sizes throughout the year with some being larger than your group and others smaller. What differs the other groups from the one you were associated with is that we almost never have groups check in on Sundays. Like most hotels, weekends are extremely busy and Sundays are the hardest days to provide early check ins for our guests. When I had 300+ people waiting in the lobby to check in at Noon on Sunday I knew we would be in for a long day of waiting. The hotel was sold out the evening before and your group had specific instructions about where people were to be placed meaning that we could not switch rooms for any reason. Luckily, once we did get rooms released back to our system as clean, we were able to check in all 500 of your guests in about 2 hours which is no easy feat. I am very sorry that you had such an unfavorable experience during your group's event here, but I appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I originally typed a long angry post about everything wrong with our stay but decided to just sum it up instead. Pros: Nice well maintained grounds with lots of free parking.
Very clean, housekeeping staff were excellent.
Pretty public areas, lobby etc.
Cons: Room not ready at guaranteed check in time Lame excuses and attitude from front desk staff. I had to threaten to call customer service for my priority club to get in a room anywhere near on time.
Not enough luggage carts or bell staff for a hotel this size. Again more excuses from a hotel that supposedly caters to large conventions as our was.
Inadequate venting in bathrooms lead to two false fire alarms that woke us early on two days.
Only one kitchen for restaurant, bar and banquets with poorly trained waitstaff lead to slow service and below average food for a property in this price range.
Not convenient to downtown or anywhere else for that matter. You had to drive a cloverleaf on a busy highway and drive through a shopping center parking lot to get there.

Summing up below expectations for this chain. There are many better options in Asheville.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments and I thank you for your feedback both positive and negative. I am very sorry that you had an unpleasant experience unlike the vast majority of your group, and I wish you had brought these issues to our attention prior to your departure so we could have taken care of you in some way. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

First impressions were a tip off to what was ahead. We arrived at noon and had to wait with a crowd of incoming guests for 4 1/2 hours to get our room. Okay, we thought,they're having an extraordinarily busy day. Room is clean but tired, view is of the parking lot. Plumbing is old and inadequate....not enough water pressure to flush a toilet. Shower faucet is installed upside-down so, and it is broken, so having a shower is an adventure in water temperatures and lack of water pressure. Air conditioning is prehistoric with broken dials, groaning noises and the sound of running water all night. Not shy about trying new foods in new regions, we looked forward to our four dinners at the Crowne Plaza. Sadly, they were not only poorly prepared and poorly.
Resented, they were absolutely indelible. Really! Not even one good thing on the plate. We joked about the fact that our retrievers would not even be able to chew or digest the meat! If it were not for the fact that we were here with a large group, we would have definitely left on the second day. Sorry to say that there is little to entice us into returning to Asheville after this experience.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Having your large group here was a true pleasure and we all thoroughly enjoyed the spirit of Christmas during the week you were with us. We have hosted many large groups, but this was one of my favorites. The check in process was as smooth as it could have been. With a sold out hotel the evening before and 600+ people trying to check in at noon, you can understand how hard our staff had to work to get all 300 of our rooms cleaned in such a short period of time. Once 4:00 pm came around (check-in time) we were able to get your group checked in quite speedily. The issues in the room you mentioned could have been easily resolved with a call to the Front Desk, and your room location being near the parking lot was a specific request from your group since you were selling merchandise. The meal that you are referring to was the only meal among many that was not up to our standards. The chef was asked to prepare Bison by the group and there were some serious product issues with cut of meat we recieved. I am extremely sorry that this meal was not satisfactory, and our kitchen really tried their best to make the other meals a great success (we were told they were). Thank you for leaving your comments and we hope to have your group again in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We used Priceline to pick a 3 star place, and this is where we ended up. It's a older property, but still very nice. Great little walking trail, wonderful outdoor pool. The only problem we had was there never seemed to be any towels at the pool. Very fun to watch the zip lines in the back of the hotel, watching them check the lines in the morning was a blast. Excellent fitness room too!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and had a good time at least watching our new zip line course in our back yard. I do wish we could have kept more towels at the pool during your stay, and I will bring this to the attention of our executive housekeeper. We have really been going through a lot of towels with how hot its been! Thank you again for your review.