“Great place”

Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Eustis, Florida
“Great place”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We picked hotel over the web but for location and convience was wonderful. Rooms were nice sized and clean. Hotel offered shuttle you did pay but we found very helpful and drivers were nice and helpful. Front desk had typed directions to every place we asked about and very easy to follow. I would stay again if ever back in Asheville.

Room Tip: I called reservations and they set up. When we checked in gentleman at the front desk even moved ou...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
I'm so glad that you found our Resort clean, convienient, and our staff so helpful. Our shuttle is a great way to explore the downtown area without the hassel of parking, and I'm pleased that you found it so accessible. Can't wait to have you back on your next visit to Asheville.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This was one of the cleanest hotels Ive ever stayed in. We chose this hotel because my husband had a conference at the hotel and they honor state gov discounted rates. They have done an okay job on a remodel. Beds had upgraded mattresses and linens and were comfy. Staff was friendly at desk, hotel, and bar. Room service was delicious and right on time. A few things need improving--small bathrooms, creepy closet sized elevator, bad paint job on wood, in room fridge but no microwave, full sz beds instead of queen, pool is practcally offsite down the hill and in another building. This hotel was not in the best location, but close to downtown and only a few miles from tunnel road and Biltmore attractions. Great place to stay and would stay again in a king room or suite and would like to stay in warmer months and use the outdoor pool and walking trails.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
I'm glad you had such a positive experience at our Resort recently and I appreciate your review of the property. As you mentioned, the one pool open this time of year is located in our 8,000 square foot fitness complex which you are able to walk to, or ride in our complimentary on-property shuttle (roundtrip to downtown is $5/person). During warmer months we have two outdoor pools open in addition to our indoor option. One outdoor pool is right behind the main hotel and the other is down near our tennis courts. Thank you again for comments, and I look forward to seeing you again during a warmer time of the year.
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This is an old motel-like property that has upgraded itself (sort of) into a "resort." However, it has done so with mixed success. The common areas (lobby, bar, restaurant, meeting rooms, and grounds) are quite expansive and attractive--with stacked stone fireplaces and nice places to sit. The property sits on a pretty noll that has a view of downtown Asheville in the distance. There is a large fitness/tennis complex on the grounds (to which guests can go--though it's pretty far away--you'd need to drive over there--and somehow sort of forbidding looking) and, for extra money, fun things to do like zip-lining.

Additionally, the staff is extremely nice and responsive, and the breakfast buffet, which we did have one morning (courtesy of the hotel--in response to some complaints we had--see below), is well appointed and features made-to-order omelettes, waffles, and scrumptious homemade biscuits.

HOWEVER, these features are considerably nicer than the rooms themselves, which are in low-slung 2-3 floor long, narrow buildings that clearly date from the 1970s "motel" era. The "resort" has tried to upgrade the rooms with things like granite countertops, flat-screen TVs, nice bedding and that sort of thing, but at the core, the place still seems like a motel in the rooms which (though fairly large, which was good) aren't actually as nice as your average Hampton Inn (one of my current favorite motel chains).

We stayed three nights in room 189 and especially noted four problems:

1. The heating/air unit was extremely noisy (as others have noted) and, the first two nights, flipped on and off literally every 10 minutes or less. The second night we were there, my husband barely slept and we had to turn the unit off in the night (not good b/c it was very cold). We discovered that the apparent problem was that there was little to no insulation around the in-wall AC/heat unit, and cold air was blowing in all around it. My husband complained about this the next day, and to the hotel's credit, they did have someone come and re-insulate around the unit, which reduced the cold air into the room and allowed the unit not to cycle as much. Still, irritating and, ultimately, hard to get a comfortable temp in the room, which was always going from too warm to too cold.

2. The beds are doubles, not queens--not as great when you're traveling with two teen boys, as we were, and again, not typical these days for a "resort."

3. The water pressure in the shower was awful and, until I complained, the tub didn't drain right.

4. The Internet (free in the room) was VERY weak, and I was working on a presentation that involved lots of upload-download of photos, so this was SLOW. My iPad really wouldn't connect at all.

These things were not make-or-break issues, obviously, but they did mean we had to call for maintenance twice within a three-day vacation--not to mention enduring the cold and a/c problems the first two days. I managed to get my presentation done, but it was a struggle. Just not the effortless business/pleasure getaway I'd hoped for.

Having inventoried these deficits, I should note that I got this hotel for about $95/night on Priceline -- bidding for "downtown" Asheville at 3.5 stars. Herein lies part of the problem. First, as noted above, I don't really think this hotel qualifies as 3.5 stars. It's not near as nice as comparably classified hotels in the same area (e.g. the Renaissance downtown) and that difference is reflected in the fact that it retails for considerably less than those others.

But the second problem is that it's NOT "downtown." You can SEE downtown, but it is about a 2-3 mile drive over the French Broad River from downtown and is quite difficult to access from the Interstate if you'd don't know what you're doing. Now, obviously, if you wanted to go to be *near* Asheville and still in a sort of pastoral setting, this is a good spot. But if you wanted to be able to walk out of your hotel and experience Asheville's great, walkable downtown, this is not a good place at all. You can't walk anywhere from here. The hotel could help this problem A LOT if they offered guests a FREE and FREQUENT shuttle downtown, but, instead they charge $5/person R/T for the downtown shuttle. Obviously, with four in the family and good knowledge of the area, we were not going to do this. So it meant a lot of shlepping back and forth with the car and, late at night, when we got hungry and would have gone out for a bite, instead just couldn't really get cranked up to drive out yet again (meaning we had to eat completely horrendous food in the bar, but that's another story).

Now, I knew all of this when I got into it b/c I know Asheville well--I crossed my fingers and used Priceline to bid on "downtown" area hotels in Asheville with the full knowledge that sometimes this hotel is the one that you get put in if you bid 3.5-stars "downtown." But I risked it b/c other times in the past, bidding for "downtown" with 3.5 stars has put me at the Renaissance, which I love (and which is super convenient to everything). So I drew the short straw this time, and I take responsibility for that.

But I do think that Priceline should, at the very least, take this hotel out of the 3.5-star class -- because as long as it's in there, I bet virtually no one bidding via Priceline has much of a chance of getting into a really good hotel that's truly downtown.

Bottom line: I won't' be using Priceline for downtown Asheville again (at least not at the 3.5 star level), and, loving to go to Asheville to enjoy "downtown," I see no reason to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for providing us with areas of both strength and weakness within your review as this will help us to recognize staff and areas which are on the right track and also target some of our problem areas. I really appreciate identifying which room you stayed in while at our Resort and it will help me correct the issues that you have brought to my attention. I'm glad that we were able to get a few of those maintenance issues resolved during your stay, but I can understand how frustrating it is having to call multiple times during such a short stay. I will have my IT support team investigate the cause of your internet difficulties to see if an additional access point is needed in that area of the hallway. One thing that I want to clarify again since it has come up on this site before is that Priceline and other third party booking sites who sometimes classify us as a downtown hotel will not allow us to change or modify how we are listed on their sites. The reasoning we have been given is that there are no other "West Asheville" hotels that we could be added too, and if we were the only hotel in that search area, it would be an unfair for people searching for hotels in that region of Asheville. A little strange I know, but it is how many hotel booking sites are operated. We never claim to be downtown in any of our own literature or on any IHG website. Thank you again for your detailed review, and I apologize that we could not give you that "wow" experience that you were seeking in Asheville. If you do decide to stay downtown on your next visit, the Four Points Sheraton is another great option in a very walkable location.
london
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I have stayed at many places, but this hotel is hard to describe. It's old and spread across what feels like two blocks. The bathrooms are 4X6 and much of that is taken up by the tub and the sink......I've stayed here three times because it's the closest to where my relatives live.

The sliding glass door in my room, this weekend, is not the kind that should be used in cold weather.....I can feel the cold air outside and it comes under the door and into the room.

Trying to keep the drapes drawn so there's no light coming in, is a challenge.....we have a trash can holding them together this morning....I noticed that the plastic "black out" curtains have little holes as if insects have eaten into them.

The heater runs and cuts off.....runs and cuts off.....AND it's annoyingly loud.....enough so to disrupt sleep. It sounds like a hoover running or worse! It has a low setting and a hi setting......hi runs constantly.......loud ....loud.....loud!

The walls are paper thin and everything in the hall is heard as if they're in the room.....the refrigerator isn't very cold and it's the old, dorm type sitting on the floor. No microwave.....

The parking is awful......the lobby is sooooo far from the rooms that I wouldn't suggest anyone with any leg problems or in a wheelchair to stay here. No breakfast comes with the room but there's a Denny's at the foot of the hill....

The double bedded rooms only have full size beds, not queen. They are comfortable and they give you lots of pillow....about 5 on each of the beds.... there's a coffee maker in the room and little packages of gourmet blend.

This isn't a luxury resort by any means. This heating/air conditioning unit is about to drive me nuts.....coming on every 2 minutes....if it stays on, it just too noisy......you have to talk over it and turn up the volume on the tv.

Speaking of tv, the remote doesn't operate very well......the stations stink....lots of fuzzy white screens, difficulty changing channels.......but it is a flat screen and a decent size.

Hope this helps people decide where to stay!

Room Tip: All the rooms are far from the lobby. I've stayed in various locations over the last few months...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your stay to provide feedback about your experience and I hope that if you checked out without informing the front desk of the product issues with your room, you will do me the courtesy of a phone call so I can correct these problems for my future guests (my direct line is 828-285-2607). I can never determine guest names or room numbers from these surveys and I always want to take care of any problems that are not reported to a staff member. Some of the issues you described such as the black out curtains and tv remotes are being updated and should be in the guest rooms by the end of the year, and I will alert upper management about your other areas of concern. Though we don't claim to be a luxury resort, what sets us apart to other lodging options in the Asheville area is our central location, wide variety of amenities (zip line, fitness complex, 20 tennis courts, golf course, etc.), attentive staff, and the ability to handle large groups/conventions, business travlers, and families. I hope this most recent stay won't deter you from any future visits to our Resort and I appreciate your feedback.
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Wonderful Hotel, great breakfast, very good staff. The only problem I had to pay for the hotel in advance and couldn't cancel reservation without losing my money with plenty of advance notice. I have never heard of that before.

Room Tip: great view of the mountains and also very good location
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback concerning our breakfast and staff, and I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience at our Resort. It sounds like you booked a reservation that is known as an Advanced Purchase reservation. These reservations are setup in a way that you are offered a lower rate than the standard price, however the tradeoff is that it is a non-refundable reservation if you need to cancel. These reservations work great for people that are booking last minute rooms that don't have any intention of cancelling or changing their plans. I would not suggest booking these in the future if there is any possibility that your plans would change. It sounds as if your stay was great despite the type of reservation you booked, I just wanted to explain to everyone the reasoning behind these rates. Thank you for your time.
Mount Airy, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 November 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 15th Wedding Anniversary this year and went to Asheville for the weekend. Since we wanted to do different things in Asheville and not be in one certain area, Crowne Plaza, looked to be the best as far as location and value.

We had no complaints about our stay at all. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly. We even had a staff personnel come by to make sure our room was to our satisfaction.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
I'm so glad that we were able to be a part of such a special anniversary for you and your husband. We pride ourselves on our great location and outstanding staff, and I'm glad that you were able to appreciate both of these aspects of the Resort experience. Hopefully you will make a return trip for your 16th anniversary if not before. Thank you again for your comments.
Concord, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Since moving to NC I have found that most of my visitors want to go to Asheville and since I love it so much I have been staying at different places each time to see where I can get the most value for my money! Crowne Plaza offered it all! Absolutely gorgeous inside and out, swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, great rooms, and 2 wonderful places to eat! Everyone treated us great and I am excited to go back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments, and I hope that you and your visitors can make many more trips to this great area of North Carolina. I appreciate your great feedback with regards to our amenities as well as our staff, and can't wait to have you back for another visit. All four seasons have something different to offer and I encourage you to try them all!