“A great place for the price”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
“A great place for the price”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We really liked this place. The service was good and the rooms were clean. The first night we slept in a full size bed. It was way to small. So the next night we moved to a room with 2 full size beds. We got 2 breakfasts for $8 when we re booked for the 2nd night. Do that if you want the breakfast. Otherwise it is $11 apiece. The breakfast was OK. Way to much greasy food for us. The omelets are good so do that. Our service in the breakfast room was excellent. This man worked his butt off. We would stay there again. The Zip line is right on the property. We did that and had a great time.

Room Tip: The AC was loud, but that helps us sleep better. The pool was really nice. It's close to downtow...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will plan your next trip with us so we can provide you with another great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort – 1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We didn't find the other reviewers to have same experience as we did. In fact, there is not much to complain about here. If coming from the south, GPS routes you around the back the Earth Fare shopping center parking lot, which is very weird.
Room (#486) was outstanding. No complaints. Bathroom is a bit tight. They should have enlarged it, & cut back on dead space in rest of room. Has a window A/C. Cleanliness, amentiies, towels, etc., were all fine. What you would expect for a $99/night room these days is here.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor, facing the back.

Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Free WiFi in the room, easy access to downtown, nice pool, good food, easy shuttle service to downtown, friendly and accommodating staff, quiet location, walking trails, clean pool, etc all contributed to our comfortable stay.

1 Thank aeinewman
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 10 July 2014

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I gave this hotel an average rating ONLY because of the price. I travel a lot (especially holidays) and the price for the July 4th weekend was 30 to 40 dollars over what their hotel should have been. I'm comparing their hotel to a 3 year old property that is ON THE BEACH with larger and better appointed rooms...this hotel was still charging more without the full breakfast included in the newer beach front hotel. That being said, it is an older and well maintained hotel with some nice remodeled areas. Hotel staff was friendly, check in and out was easy as expected. Hotel food was not bad. Only real complaint, the bar staff closed early on the 4th with three people in line to buy drinks. (REASON OFFERED "We're not selling as many drinks as we had hoped") There were three people in line to buy and I counted 14 people in the pool area. If you advertise that you will be there until 7, you need to stay with your patrons until 7.

Room Tip: We got a room on the VERY end and those rooms have a larger entry way (more room) the average rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I truly regret that we have missed the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff using your feedback as a learning opportunity. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Abbeville, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This is our third time staying here. Each time we stay, we discover tips that help make the stay more pleasant the next time around. Having the golf course near to walk in the evenings is great. Front desk staff is always respectful, courteous, and make you feel as if they really want you there; and not a burden . The food at the bar is always exceptional; pricey but enjoyable. You can hear everything in the hallways and the adjacent rooms. Had to pull the desk chair over by the entry door to sit in to get a WiFi signal. Couldn't get a signal at the bed or desk area. Small microwave in the room would have been a great addition. Had to walk to the lobby to use the microwave at the vending machine area.
All in all was a great relaxing weekend. We like staying here at Crowne Plaza. That's why we have been here three times now.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Matthews, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was able to get a room during 4th of July weekend . The beds were super comfy and the amenities were nice (spa-like toiletries). The room was large and roomie, but we definitely could hear everything in the room next to us. Hmm with that being said, I wonder if they could hear us too ..lol . I'll leave it at that. Anyway, the pub downstairs was quaint and we enjoyed a few drinks on the porch to watch the fireworks. The hotel itself needs alot of updating, as its dark and dreary.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the fourth hotel I've stayed at in Asheville in the last year. We stayed Friday and Saturday of 4th of July weekend.
When we visit Asheville, we love to do things downtown, however, downtown hotels are very costly. We've stayed at inexpensive options outside of downtown as well as an expensive option in the heart of downtown. But we decided on this hotel as it seemed like a good compromise. It was "mid price" and the location was close to downtown (about a mile and a half away) and we assumed we could take a quick cab if we didn't want to deal w/ driving. However, we did go through Hotwire. Unfortunately due to this, our reserved King room became two doubles. ( I didn't even know doubles were an option at hotels? If it were queens, that would've been fine of course. ) We didn't discover this until we entered the room and were obviously disappointed (the two of us in no way can comfortably sleep in a double & after one uncomfortable night, opted to sleep separately the second night). When we walked in and discovered it, we called the front desk and were told that with Hotwire, you can only "request" it's not a guarantee. The hotel was sold out for the holiday weekend, so we were obviously bumped for those who would've paid full price. So for next time, we know/understand the risks.
The room itself was nice with a nice view of the golf course, zip line course and bike trail. We enjoyed sitting out on the patio and relaxing. I saw many guests with their dogs (and wish I had my pup with me too)
In addition to the two double bed & nightstand, the room had a round table & 2 chairs (I think this is the 'workspace' that is mentioned in the room description?), flat screen tv (we didn't turn on), under that was a cabinet that housed a tiny fridge and next to that, a table with a coffee maker and coffee supplies on it. There was a radio alarm that had a CD player. We luckily just purchased CDs (at Harvest Records) and were able to play them.
(*Side note: why do hotels put that strip of fabric at the bottom of the bed? It is made to look like a folded down blanket, but it's just fabric/useless? This cracks me up. All the hotels are doing this.) :-)
My only 'complaints' with the room would be that there weren't quite enough outlets and no provided USB charging port (I would think at the nicer level of hotel, this would be available). The outlet by the table/chairs only had one available spot, the only other outlet we saw was in the corner next to the bed. So while I used the one outlet for my computer to do work, our phones charged over on the floor in the corner. (Also, the internet speed was slow and I had a very weak signal. I was able to get my work done, and was very happy to have free wifi, it just took awhile for the webpages to load.)
Also, apparently there is some loud maintenance vehicle that is run in the middle of the night. I didn't know if it was a train or plane or what. But when I looked out the window, I saw a light coming from the golf course. First night it was about midnight. The second night, they did it even later at night.. 2am maybe? Other than that, it was a very quiet room. We didn't hear any neighbors.
For the hotel itself, the lobby area is quite nice with a beautiful large stone fireplace in the dining area. Just from walking the main hall I saw a bar, fitness center, business center and a place of worship. The property seemed extensive and had many things to do. We unfortunately did not take advantage of that due to our short visit and plans to spend our free time downtown. (We really wanted to do the ziplining though, just wasn't enough time.)
Front desk was friendly and helpful. We checked in after 4pm and our room unfortunately wasn't ready for about another 1/2 hour (close to 5pm). We weren't the only ones and I guess being sold out kept them and their cleaning staff very busy.
Once we were able to 'freshen up' in our room, we needed to quickly get downtown as we had a dinner reservation. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the hotel offered shuttle service every 1/2 hour to downtown ($5 each/roundtrip). However, due to them being busy and everyone wanting to go downtown for fireworks/festival, it was a bit hectic. When we walked outside, there was a very large party waiting (maybe about 10 - 12 w/ children) and there was one other couple waiting. Just before the shuttle arrived, about 10 more people showed up and of course all started crowding around when the shuttle pulled up. (*Suggestion: It would've been nice if there was a "line starts here" sign to ensure those who have waited longer are ensured to get on first.*) No one but the very large party got on the shuttle. Luckily, we were told that they were going to get their passenger van asap to handle the demand. About 15 of us crammed onto that (oddly, probably more than what filled up their larger shuttle?). I knew the demand to go back to the hotel immediately after fireworks would be great (I just read someone else's review that confirmed that). The entire downtown was crazy busy and this doesn't surprise me. When we decided to go back to the hotel later, about 11:30p (their last shuttle runs after 1am, which is great), we were put in the passenger van again, so I'm assuming they must've still been using both it and the larger shuttle van to try and accommodate.
I would definitely stay here again. It seems like a great place to stay if you are going to be here for at least several days.. they have so much to do on their property and it's ideal to downtown (plus that shuttle is great!) and it's right off the interstate so it's convenient to other nearby destinations (Biltmore House, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc) I hope next time we have opportunity to do more.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will plan your next trip with us so we can provide you with another great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.