“I bet this was great in the 80's”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is an outdated, monstrous place in need of some help. The rooms are clean and comfortable and at $99 per night on Hotels.com a decent value, but in the end this is nothing more than average. I really like the location...the food from the restaurant was a joke...but if you need a clean, comfortable, cheap place...this is it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dannceline
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I truly regret that we have missed the opportunity to exceed your expectations, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff using your feedback as a learning opportunity. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

It is fresh and redone. The spa was top notch. We were going to play the 9 hole golf course but it rained. The food for breakfast was average as are all hotel breakfast. The rooms were roomy and the temple spa products are a real plus. The staff was good and the bartender in the new bar was so nice. I think this hotel is the most improved hotel in asheville. I have stayed there 25 tomes over the last 15 years. Way to go but keep it up.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zzba

Thank you taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will plan your next trip with us so we can provide you with another great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was a pretty nice hotel. The rooms were spacious, if not quiet (just a bit of noise coming through the walls which were pretty thin). I had a nice deck looking onto the 'ziplines'. In-room coffee/tea, tv, all the usual. Beds were comfortable.

Attached is a pool, tennis center, and 9 hole golf course. I primarily stayed there because of the golf, which actually got rained out. But the 5 holes I did play were nice--worth the pretty inexpensive green fee. I did not try the other amenities.

They had a nice pub with fairly reasonable prices and a good selection of snacks and drinks. The staff was quite friendly. They also have a $5 shuttle which takes you to downtown Asheville and back ($5 roundtrip).

All in all, it was a little expensive for what you got. But if you get a deal there it's not a bad place to stay by any means.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights and were "upgraded" to a villa after the suite we were to be in was suddenly unavailable.

The good: the location can't be beat. It's literally three minutes from downtown Asheville and is super easy to get in and out of, plus free parking. Check in and check out were fairly simple and quick. Breakfast buffet is an inexpensive add-on and was convenient. Villa was quiet and the extra space was nice.

The bad: The villa was in bad shape. Old, stretched carpet, tube TVs, mismatched furniture and tiny bathrooms. I could literally feel the support beams under the tub - hoped I wouldn't crash through. All of the electrical was odd - alarm clocks plugged into light switch outlets and bad wiring in the bathroom that caused the fan to go on and off with the vanity lights. No housekeeping service except for Wednesdays and Saturdays, which were weren't told of when we were switched to the villa. We found a half-eaten pretzel rod on the nightstand of our kid's room (yiiiiiikes), spider webs in the ceiling corners, and dirty lampshades. I wore socks the entire time and put the bedspreads in the corner.

The weird: We're sitting in the living area our first evening and suddenly hear a bam-bam-bam on our door. Turns out that it's security bringing our breakfast certificates, but it scared the bejesus out of me. Couldn't the front desk have called to say someone was coming out?

Overall: this place could have a lot going for it based on location alone, but it definitely needs some TLC. Upgrade the villas, improve the breakfast buffet (fewer heated frozen dishes and more fresh options - even the bagels were still wrapped in plastic wrap), and add some resort-type amenities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hamik

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

No lobby. Poorly laid out hotel design. In need of multi million dollar renovation. The room itself was clean but to bill itself as a Resort is a misrepresentation in the extreme. I don't normally write reviews but this place was a major disappointment. Left early.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Craig P

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. At the end of this year we will be undergoing a major renovation. I truly regret that we have missed the opportunity to exceed your expectations, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff using your feedback as a learning opportunity. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I guess I should have worried when I bid for and got this hotel for a reasonable price on Priceline. Still, for $125 a night, I would have expected more. This hotel/resort may recently have been upgraded or renovated, but the work was shoddy. The old, tiny elevators looked like they hired the cheapest people they could find to put up wood and stain it within an inch of its life to look like expensive panelling. Most of the time I ended up using the stairs because there aren't many elevators and they were slow and full most of the time. My room was adequate, but again, not 4 star quality. The bathroom was so odd - the toilet was at an angle and the door barely cleared it. They had put some sort of high gloss panel moulding over the front of the sink and it was actually tacky with caulk. I could sink my fingernail into it. Just seems like the the upgrades were quick fixes not done by particularly skilled workers. The bed however, was very comfortable, as were the pillows and I slept very well. The alarm clock in the room didn't work. WIFI wentout several times. I put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door as I was going to breakfast and even saw the maid and she asked if I wanted the room made up - I told her it wasn't necessary. When I returned, the sign was on the inside of the door again. Not sure why anyone entered, but nothing was disturbed. For some reason I thought breakfast was complimentary. It is not. There is an all-you-cn eat deal for about $12.00 and it was not very good. Underooked potatoes, and made-to-order omelettes that were also not good. However, the cook was very friendly. You can also order off the menu if you don't want to pay as much or are not overly hungry, but my waiter said it would take forever to get anything off the menu so I should just get the buffet. I asked for hot tea several times and it never came. Saddest part was the indoor pool/hottub. It is about 1/4 mile downhill in an exercise facility that was very run down. The pool was filled with dozens of kids and the hot tub had 11 people in it already - mostly children as welll. To be fair, it was raining and I understood the parents wanting to entertain the kids. However, this was defintely not the relaxing,upscale resort experience I had hoped for. As for location....plan a decent drive to get to anyplace other than the grocery store (there is a nice organic store very close by.). I would definately lower my expectations and my bidding price if I were to go there again.

Room Tip: You enter on the 3rd floor so if you are on the 2nd floor you have to go down. My 2nd floor room wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is an older hotel but rooms were clean and I loved the lavender lotions and sprays that were provided for bedtime. Check in was a little iffy since the room was not done and they were to call when it was, 10pm no phone call. We had gone downtown so it was not a big deal but after letting them know I wanted a king bed they told me it would be a $16 upcharge which I declined. Once we got to the room we had been put in a king room and charged, the next morning they did give me a credit. Overall a good stay and close to downtown.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014