“Ok for an overnight stay or if you are on a guys golf holiday!”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 25 June 2009

This hotel is located approximately 5 minute car journey out of Asheville, on a hillside. It is mainly a golfing resort. We were offered a reasonable rate for an overnight stay in a king size room which was quite large with modern amenities. The resort has an outdoor pool which we didn’t use but could see from our room.

They offer a free trolley service into Asheville, which drops off and picks up at the same point into the evening. The Bell Boy sorts this out for you but after waiting about 15 minutes for him to appear we gave up and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant instead.

The food here is just ‘ok’. I was not too well that night and didn’t eat much of my meal, so it would be unfair of me to comment, but my husband ordered tuna which he said was overcooked and too peppery. He also complained that the breakfast the following morning was very mushy (he had the breakfast potatoes etc).

When we went to bed, there was a party going on in some of the rooms further down from us which woke us up a couple of times – I think this resort attracts the party crowd (guys on golfing holidays etc)? Also when we were getting ready to go for something to eat, on of the guys partying came and peered into our room as it was on the ground floor. Not the hotels fault, but gives you an idea of the kind of people mainly staying here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed 25 June 2009

I stayed here one night while in town for a medical appointment. While checking in I overheard a man ask an employee who appeared to be a concierge/manager/host type if there was any where to go out for dinner and dancing in town. The host fellow didn't know and went to ask his front counter employees, "Is there any where for adults to go dancing in town?" When the employees (in their 20s) threw out a few local hangouts the host said, "No, no for ADULTS, for GROWNUPS." As a 28-year-old professional I was greatly offended by his language. Apparently only the senior citizen crowd qualifies as adults/grownups now? The host fellow then went on a tangent about how downtown Asheville had been ruined and will never recover. The point being - Asheville is heralded for its hipness for all ages, diverse population of street kids and wealthy retirees, funky atmosphere and general existence as a place where you can be as granola or grandiose as you want to be and still fit in. The general attitude at the Crowne Plaza was stodgy and stuffy. If you're looking for somewhere to base your Asheville explorations from, I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, don't be fooled by the word "resort" in the name. It's a hotel, nothing overly fancy though there's a golf course, which I would hazard to say would be a disappointment if you'd come to the mountains specifically to play golf. Right now there's pretty heavy construction going on right by the hotel that kind of ruins the mood.

All that said - my room was large and quiet and the bed was super comfy. I'd pay around $90-$110 for the room if I was setting my own price. I would recommend this though if you happened to be in town for Bele Chere or some other downtown festival so that you can be fairly close without dealing with the late night crowds.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My sister and I stopped to check out the availability having stayed here before. The girls at the front desk were very rude and had the nerve to stand there laughing in a little cluster. Not sure what they were laughing at and that really wasn't the point. Needles to say we were very turned off by there behavior and left. For the cost of the room $119.00 and $10.00 each for breakfast it really it is not all that nice anyway. Won't bother to go back either.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We came here thinking this was going to be a resort- It is no resort! The golf course is a Dog and there are huge power lines running overhead right over the front entrance...also the place looks like a construction site, and the location is terrible - surrounded by interstates and nothing within walking distance. Also incredibly convoluted directions getting here...(Literally had to drive through a shopping center parking lot, following signs back onto another interstate, and finally into the Crown Plaza entrance)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2009

we got a great price on priceline.com a day before coming to asheville and we heard people even got it for cheaper. it was a gorgeous room- giant bed- you had to use your room key to get ice- first time i saw that. ask for a room not on the first floor because every room gets a balcony and ours just went out into a parking out/gold course road. but it was nice to sit out and have drinks when the sun was going down- even if we had to steal chairs from next door to seat us all.
comfy squishy beds. great staff! they were young and friendly like us and gave great reccs. there was also a shuttle for cheap to take you downtown and back so we could have drinks and not worry about driving home.
kinda a weird location. we got lost. its next to a cowboy store and then down a long windy road.
huge golg courses- would recc. for golfers.
lots of brochures in the lobby, pretty modern and manager on staff making sure we were happy.
if going to biltmore i would recc another place because that was a longer trip to it than expected.

Reviewed 3 June 2009

I was leary of our trip after I read all the reviews on this site. However, my husband and I were pleasantly suprised.

Good service from the front desk; didn't have to wait too long to check in. We had breakfast each morning and the buffet was decent with a chef to make made-to-order omelets, eggs and waffles. We didn't order room service, so can't speak to that.

Our room was clean and more spacious than expected. Comfortable bed, small bathroom and everything seems to have been updated. TV was grainy, but we didn't come to Asheville to watch TV. Swam in the pool; it was nice.

Apparently all construction has been completed because there was no noise, trucks or mud. The entrance is a little hard to find, but if you follow the directions on the Crowne Plaza website, it is no problem. 5 minutes to downtown; 15 to the Biltmore Estate.

Overall a decent hotel for the money. Would recommend for budget-concious travelers.

Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights. I agree with other reviewers that it's more than a little tricky to find, but the winding road certainly had no potholes when we were there. Loved the spacious and attractive room with the small refrigerator. Bed was fantastic. Grounds were beautiful. Golf with cart was only $20. Pool was beautiful. Restaurant was a little pricey, but excellent. Don't understand the the reviews complaining about smoke, as it was non smoking when we were there. Balcony was nice, and had a great view of the entire resort. Wi fi was non working in our room, so don't bring your computer, but who needs it at this place? Can't give high marks to service because my complaints about wi fi were practically ignored, even so I would highly recommend!