“Great Thai option”

Ranked #307 of 787 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Thai
“Great Thai option”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We get take from baan Thai a lot! And we have eaten there often. The food is cooked fresh and by the owner. It is a great addition to south Asheville. The service is great too. We have tried a lot of new items here and all have been delicious. It is not an upscale restaurant but it is very good.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank AVLME

• Korean first
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
“Best Thai I've had in a long time.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Baan Thai was a pleasant surprise! I was a little worried about the curry after reading the "watery curry" review, but we had massamun, red and panang and all were excellent - thick and savory. We also had kee mao (fried rice), horapa and fresh rolls that were to die for. (we had chicken as the meat for all the dishes we tried). The thai iced tea was excellent and they offer a free refill which is refreshing!
My husband like it thai hot times 10 and it was ... almost hot enough for him! :)

• Visited April 2014
“watership down”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Apparently Noi (the owner of this restaurant. as well as her namesake restaurant in N. Asheville) feels that a good curry is made with a base consisting mostly of water, rather than coconut milk. At least thats what I was made to understand by our server when I called her over to show her the pitiful bowl of green curry sitting before me. If there was indeed coconut milk in it, as it states on the menu, the ratio couldnt have been more than one part milk to five parts water, and thats being kind. In addition to that, the size of the portion was also extremely underwhelming. There were four small pieces of chicken and maybe five or six slices of veggies. It was a joke. My wife ordered larb. She asked for a spiciness of medium. Yet, it was spicier than my curry, which I had asked for 'Thai Spicy'; the highest spice level they offer. Their lunch menu is priced similar to other Thai places in town, except that they dont include soup, or spring rolls, as most of the other places do. Neither of us were very happy, to say the least, and though the server said that if I didnt like my curry, she would "make it right", no further conversation was had, even though I had her take the plate away a couple minutes later. It most certainly found its way onto our bill, and though the owner was there and was made aware of the problem Im sure, she made no attempt to speak with us or address the issue.
If you want to experience what real Thai food tastes like, drive 2 minutes down the road to Pon's Thai. Its in a gas station and the dining area isnt much to look at, but the food is superb.
Grade: F (Noi, you dont save money being cheap, you just lose customers, and potential customers.)

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank DrexlerMcStyles
“Delicious”
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Just recently opened. Food was fantastic. ! I got the Pad Thai with tofu and it was cooked perfectly, tofu not mushy and spiced just right:) the service was very attentive and friendly . They were very accommodating to our 4 year old too. Only drawback was they were still waiting for license for beer and wine so my hubby didn't get a beer with dinner this time. Will be back for sure!

• Visited January 2014