“Pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown
Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Normally I stay at Hilton owned properties but they raised their prices recently. I thought I would step out of the box and try soemthing new. I booked two rooms for my dad's birthday for the middle of August. My husband and I booked again for Labor Day weekend. The location is great, close to town but the view is interesting. One side of the hotel overlooks I-240 and the other overlooks a ramshackle motor lodge and Tunnel Road. If a view is not your concern but distance to downtown is more important then this is the place. The rooms are clean and modern. The beds are very firm and there are two choices of pillows, firm or soft. The bartender is great! Great room for the price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 September 2011

My wife and I stayed in Asheville for this past Friday evening on Labor Day weekend when visiting the Apple Festival in nearby Hendersonville. We did not arrive for check in until very late. Our room at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville – Downtown was a Priceline winning bid, and was still available even though the hotel had no vacancy and I was a very late checkin ( 11:30 pm ?)

The welcome greeting by the front desk was a lady. Memory seems to think her name was Meredith. She was very pleasant, sincere and personable. I always enjoy a stay more when the initial impression is so positive. The hotel was very well kept, and the elevators were fast and clean as well. We parked in the very well lit parking garage about 4 spaces from the elevators, which, for safety, opened only when using your room key card. The hotel itself was very clean all around. The room was very clean, the bath was equally clean. The bath amenities were nice and the towels fresh. The shower was very refreshing and no mold or mildew in sight. Theyt also gave me two free bottles of water
at checkin. A small but very much appreciated effort that certainly brings added value to the enjoyment of our stay. The room had a small safe that we did not use.

Our room was overall very quiet despite being a full house. We could hear when the neighboring rooms A/C kicked on and off and it had a steady drone… it reminded me of the hotel I once stayed at that was next to a truck stop and you could hear the trucks running all night. But the noise was more of a white noise effect and we soon fell asleep although it did wake me up once or twice during the night when it kicked on. I felt it worth mentioning, but also would certainly not stop me from staying here again as the negative effect was minimal. The room also had a microwave and a small fridge, which I use to keep extra water bottles cold.

I have read some other complaints about its entry driveway being hard to find, and others have mentioned about the shabby hotel that is on one side of the hotel. However, both my GPS’s were spot on and not a single wrong turn was made to the hotel. The adjoining property may look a bit “used and abused” but I still saw employees and cleaning people from my room window. I did not feel like its adjacent location impacted my stay or my safety in any way whatsoever. While this Holiday Inn has a small restaurant and I typically try to patronage the hotel's restaurants when using Priceline, my wife loves Cracker Barrel so we went to the Cracker Barrel next door. Even on a Saturday morning, we were seated immediately and had an enjoyable breakfast.

All in all we found this hotel very quiet, super clean, great customer service from its desk staff, and a very well lit parking garage. Even as a Priceline customer, I found the service to be the same as other patrons. Some hotels sometimes seem to treat Priceline customers with lesser customer service or lesser quality rooms. That was not the case at this property. I would be extremely pleased to win it again the next time I use Priceline.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Location was good and rooms were very clean. Resturant was fair but a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed here on August 20, 2011 and was well pleased with the location. The staff was very efficient and the room was very clean. The location was close to several restaurants and a large shopping mall. It was also convenient to a short drive into downtown Asheville. Would return there again when I need to be in Asheville.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I visited Asheville for the first time ever in April, and it's now one of my favorite cities. The first night there, I stayed in a 1-star motel which had a few issues, so I decided to go elsewhere for the rest of the stay and lucked into an excellent deal on Priceline for the HI (apparently it does not come up often though, so it may not be the safest bet to try the name your own price route - my deal may have been a combination of the reservation being mid-week and slightly off-season). I agree with the other reviews that the entrance was a little difficult to find at first, but it didn't really bother me because I walked about half my time, and also a side benefit may be that it keeps unncessary "crusing" traffic out and therefore may make it a little safer than a more easily accessible lot.

I found the hotel to have a very new appearance to it, and my room was super clean with a good neutral smell and almost a boutique like feel (save for the flourescent bulbs, but I guess this is the new reality in general in many places). Pluses are a high quality flat-panel tv, granite countertops, and amenities for basic food/snack preparation. Agree with other reviews that the beds are very firm which took me some getting used to. The biggest downside overall for me was the road noise from the highway. Luckily I had a white noise machine with me, but for light sleepers and people with difficulty getting to sleep, I would recommend asking for a room away from the direct higway side.

It's been covered in other writeups, but the hotel is actually not downtown (which I was aware of already luckily so not surprised about). Downtown is walkable if you are pretty active and fit and the weather is not extreme, but most might prefer to drive (it's about 3 mi. roundtrip w/ hills, and you can easily rack up another mile or two in wandering downtown). If you are strictly looking to do things downtown, it might be worth looking into staying in one of the handful of places there. However, if you're planning to do other stuff in the area this is an excellent base location. Lastly, would like to mention the gentleman who worked the night shift, who was extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Consider asking for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The staff is great especially Nick, he is the BEST!!! Rooms are always nice and clean, staff is freindly and the price is right. We ride down on motorcycles from Toronto area and have stayed here several times now, only bad news is the BBQ joint next door closed about 6 months ago. Not to worry though Nick steered us to another great spot, we will be back!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WayneNHez
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This is a new hotel located just outside the downtown area on a commercial strip between the interstate and a shopping mall. Don't expect a "scenic" mountain location, but the property itself is definitely above average for a Holiday Inn. As mentioned in other reviews, it is situated across from an Ingles, and just a quick trip across the parking lot to an Outback and a Cracker Barrel, and a Pappas and Beers (local Mexican food chain) across the street. So, you get the idea - it's a typical Holiday Inn. It's actually located well if you have a car and plan on doing several trips around the area (note: it's not real easy to find the entrance - you can see the hotel, but it's behind an older, closed property, and at first looks like it shares a driveway, but it doesn't - look for a small sign at the light). Someone mentioned they could walk downtown - personally, I did not feel comfortable walking. It's a bit of a trip, and along a busy highway and through a tunnel - strongly recommend driving; parking is tight downtown but the public garages are well situated and rarely full. I also echo the comment re: prices - this hotel is at least 20-25% more expensive than comparable properties in most cities I am familiar with, but the same held true for all the hotels close to downtown. If you're looking for a consistent HI experience, you'll be pleased.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony gives you a nice view of the interstate and parking lot
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo