“Pretty good. Just what I expected from a Holiday Inn.”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 6 May 2010

We booked our stay here because our favorite hotel (the Indigo) was unavailable. The advertised "downtown" location is a bit misleading -- it would have been quite a walk to the historic downtown area. However, the hotel is located just on the far side of the tunnel and there are chain type restaurants abound as well as a grocery store very close by.

The room was just as expected from a newish Holiday Inn. The bed was very comfortable, the pillow selection was great. The room was quite large. However, the bathroom had some rough edges -- looks like the finishing touches had been done in a hurry. Breakfast is not included, but didn't upset us at all; who wants to eat a hotel breakfast, with so many great eateries around to chose from?

All in all it was just as I would have expected. Nothing more, and nothing less.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night, while in town for a race. I booked via Priceline, so the hotel was chosen for me. I definitely had my doubts since I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in many years. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was quiet, clean, and had some extra amenities I wasn't expecting, like a flat screen TV and refrigerator. Beds were very comfortable and the shower had great water pressure. The only thing I would caution is if you're looking for a hotel within walking distance to downtown, this isn't it. However, you're only a 5 minute drive away. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We were very impressed with this hotel, especially at such an affordable price. We traveled with another couple to see a concert in Asheville. We stayed 2 nights. When we arrived we were upgraded to suites, so we each had a king suite. We also were given $20 vouchers per couple each day for breakfast. This was really the only concern I had read on Tripadvisor, but am happy to say we were glad that either we are less critical or they have really improved, because we were all amazed by the breakfast. The wait staff was hospitable, quick, and our food was delicious and very filling. In fact, we had leftovers both days. It is not IN downtown, however we took cabs twice and it was $6- $8 each time. Everyone was very polite and helpful. Overall, we found it to be an amazingly affordable, wonderful stay and would certainly recommend it.

Reviewed 16 February 2010

Following is an email I sent the manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown:

I'm emailing because my wife, Jenn, and I were fortunate enough to spend the night of Saturday, February 13th, at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown.

We had spent the preceding night at a competing hotel just up the road. There, our experience was, to be charitable, far below average. I mention this not for the purposes of generally flaming your competition, but to highlight the power of a "point of dissatisfaction" in motivating future consumer behavior.

For, by the time we came to you, we were honestly tired of our vacation and less-than-enthusiastic about another evening at a hotel.

Then we met your staff and experienced their approach to service:
Our check-in was seamless and delivered by way of really nice folks
Our room was immaculate
The room service was stellar - really fast, really reasonably priced, and delivered with a go-the-extra-mile attitude
The service at check-out was up to the same standards as our check-in
Then there was what happened after we returned to Charlotte . . .

Walking in the door, my wife realized that she had forgotten several personal items. I called you guys and spoke with Rebecca, who empathized with the problem and took instantaneous action. The bag was delivered this afternoon. So, thank you, Rebecca!

And a big thanks to everyone that was so kind to the guests in 217!

We are happy customers. We will review your hotel favorably on Google Maps, Trip Advisor, etc. And we will recommend you to all our friends and family - reminding them that there are reasonably-priced hotels that offer the same standard of service as establishments whose going rates are twice the price.

Please take a moment to personally thank your staff for their efforts on our behalf.

1  Thank jennandscott2005
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I booked a trip to Asheville because my family and I were planning a ski trip in Maggie Valley, not far from Asheville. The day before I was supposed to check into the Holiday Inn Downtown, Asheville, I saw a weather report that warned of an impending blizzard and it was recommended that no one travel if possible.

At that point, I contacted customer service at the Holiday Inn Downtown and let them know that regrettably I had to cancel my trip due to the severe weather conditions. I was told by the clerk that they couldn't refund my money because I received a special advance purchase rate.

I tried to rationalize with the Holiday Inn customer service clerk letting him know that we were driving up from Fl and it was recommended that we don't travel and I would think, due to the circumstances he could help me out, I'd be even willing to pay a cancellation fee. He only offered to move my reservation to a later date.

Unsatisfied, I called Holiday Inn's corporate office and I was redirected back to the hotel. I was really surprised that they chose to resolve the situation in this manner, I'm not going to accept the open date in the future, because I refuse to stay at a hotel that has no compassion for its guests in situations that are unfortunate like this.

So, if you plan on staying at this hotel, be warned, they are only concerned with the reservations, not the quality of customer service or the safety of their traveling guests.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J75J75
Hotelmanager77, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2011

All Holiday Inn brands offer what is known as the Advance Purchase Rate and if you agree with the terms and conditions the reservation system will allow you to reserve this rate which saves you money on your booking.The terms are that the total amount of your stay will be charged to your card by the time you check in and that the stay is nonrefundable and if you fail to check in or cancel you will be charged in full. In the case of this review the blizzard had nothing to do with no refund being issued It is simply the kind of reservation that was chosen.Actually the blizzard helped in this case because even though the reservation is nonrefundable we gave our guest's the option of using their reservation up to a year later which is normally not allowed but to our surprise was refused by the guest in this case.

Reviewed 9 February 2010

We got a GREAT deal from Priceline, which made this hotel definatley worth it! Pretty clean, front desk was helpful & friendly. Our first room was on the 2nd floor by the elevator, what is it about people & the elevator that cause them to think no one can hear them if they yell & sing? Anyway, it was VERY noisy. We overlooked a bit of the 1st floor roof, a tiny area, where our neighbors decided to climb out of their window & party on at 3:00 AM!! Yes, the roof dwellers popped their screen off & climbed onto this tiny bit of roof, I guess thinking the rest of the world wouldn't hear or see them, even though if I had opened my window I literally could have smacked them, very close quarters out there. When they saw us get out of bed, yes they could see us just like we could see them, they dove back into their window & put the screen back. I called the front desk & I didn't really have to explain, they seem to know exactly what had happened, now if they know this stuff, why don't they lock the windows up, this could easily turn into a law suit if one of these roof dwellers broke into someone else's room or fell off the room and broke their brilliant leg!
So, next morning, I went to the front desk to move rooms, they all knew about the roof dwellers so I didn't have to convince them. I also let them know that this room (222) was noisy being by the elevator! They had to wait to get a clean room, but they moved us right after lunch & they also gave us a $20 coupon for their restaurant. So they did treat us right. I don't blame them for the roof dwellers or elevator yodelers, but it would be nice if they sealed those windows shut & made the walls sound proof!

The hotel restaurant had really good breakfast, however, service is slow. They only have 1 waitress working & she was pretty laid back, so it is good if you have time.

Beds, pretty comfy, rooms pretty clean. Our first room had dried soap/shampoo still on the shower walls & the hand towel had make-up stains. Other than that, clean.

The hotel is in a great location - about 4 minutes from everything & next to a Cracker Barrel.
:D

Reviewed 9 January 2010

OK so most of these reviews have to do with 1 of 2 things, the "downtown" location and the motel next door. 1st, no the hotel isn't "downtown" asheville, but it is about as close as it could be. You can't walk to bars and restaurants in downtown, but its less than a 5 min drive to the main downtown area. So for most travelers this shouldn't be a problem, also since there are multiple restaurants right next to the hotel and a grocery store across the street. The hotel has a semi- "off the interstate feel" but its a new place with nice rooms so I wouldn't let it steer you away. Our room faced away from the motel next door so it wasn't a big deal, but facing this thing wouldn't have let us ruin our trip. I don't think anyone comes to Asheville to sit in their hotel room and admire the view. Here's something I didn't see on any other review: our room faced east (away from the sketchy motel) but there weren't any decent blinds on the window, so at 8AM the sun was blazing in with no way to keep it out, think I would've rather been sleeping with the motel outside. Granted there was 12" of snow on the ground so that may have been reflecting the sunlight, but that was my only complaint. No blinds on the windows.

We ordered room service for breakfast while we were there, only good things to say about the service, food quality, and price. Me and my fiance split an omelet entree with side of bacon and toast, around $13 total, and convenient and very good.

Our trip was to see the Biltmore (about 7-8 min from the hotel) and this hotel was perfect for what we came for. Comfy bed, good service, parking, and location. Will definitely return for a similar visit to Asheville.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple