“A good place - for RVers”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
French Broad River Campground
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“A good place - for RVers”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

If you're looking for a KOA experience, this isn't the place to go. There is no swimming pool or volleyball/badminton court, nothing is painted in bright colors, and there are no "activities" planned. Also, if you're looking for a "nice" place to go tent camping, you could probably do better. That said, my experience was almost completely positive.
We camped right by the river with our 25' trailer. Pretty much all the RV sites are back-in, but that's okay. (Note that they only have 30-amp electric, so keep that in mind.) The sites have concrete pads for the RV and "patio" area, and (barely!) adequate parking space for your tow/towed vehicle. The in/out road is kind of narrow, so you might have to back & fill a little to get in.
The owners were friendly without being overly effusive. They were very helpful with any questions we asked. Check-in was quickly and easily dealt with, and on the one occasion we needed to ask about something, they were very helpful.
There are apparently a number of "permanent" residents, but they pretty much mind their own business.
Since we have the trailer, we didn't use the bath house. I did take a look at it, though, and it seemed to be reasonably clean. Certainly it's not fancy; basic shower and toilet facilities, if you know what I mean. Still, it wasn't disgustingly filthy. I did see a caretaker go into it daily, I assume to clean up after sloppy campers.
There are a couple of strategically located dumpsters at each end of the campground. They were emptied twice the week we stayed, but they seemed to fill up again pretty quickly. I didn't see any overflow, though, and didn't notice any particular stench from them.
The wifi was - well, let's be kind and say it's okay. You will have to re-log in quite often, though. For some reason, it will ask you for this several times a day, interrupting whatever you were doing at the time. When you are connected, it's reasonably fast, but you won't be steaming any movies over it. We actually found it faster to use my wife's smart phone "hot spot" feature!
Yes, there is a train track on the other side of the river. Yes, several times a day, there will be trains using it. It is a relatively steep grade, and the engines are working hard to pull the train up it. It doesn't last long, though, and I actually thought it was kind of fun to watch them go by. that's just me, though. I never noticed any noise from the highway adjacent to the campground.
All in all, I found our experience at French Broad River Campground to be enjoyable and relaxing. We sat under our trailer's awning in the evenings, reading and listening to the river rushing by. Local ducks (and ducklings!) would be swimming around, adding to the quietly picturesque view. There were no loud parties (or squealing kids - this is not a children-oriented campground), and the neighboring campers all seemed to like it, as well. If you're looking for a place to spend a relaxing and quiet time camping in your RV (I can't speak for the tent campers), I can recommend the French Broad River Campground.

Room Tip: If you're in an RV, try to get a campsite near the center of the campground, like sites 10 throu...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dan M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed in the large cabin, redwood. It was nicer than expected. The cabin was clean, pretty modern and cozy. Downstairs bedroom was comfortable. Upstairs loft does have low ceiling but is great for kids. Owners were friendly and so were neighbors. A few are permanent residents. The road to the campground is nothing to look at but the river view once you arrive is nice and the river itself was cleaner and more enjoyable than I would have thought. Swimming and wading is a great activity. Since we didn't use port potty or camping bath we can't comment but the cabins for rent are well kept and we would return/recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank justsharing11
Sandhills, NC
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The French Broad River is beautiful. Being able to camp right beside it was breath taking. Having said that...there are a few things others should know. 1st - The bath houses are old and very, very small. They are also forever away from the tent sites (those who would use it most). Only one shower stall in both the men's & women's. 2nd - The sites are really far too close together to enjoy any privacy at all. Thankfully we were around really good folks, but it was still a little more than cramped. Note: Bring your own oval tube floats...$7 for a day rental was a little steep. 3rd - The place needed a good cleaning overall...grass was high, fire rings hadn't been cleaned out and port-a-johns weren't cleaned. (This was on Memorial weekend at that). Not horrible overall, but having camped all over NC, this is not the best by far...especially for the price. The riverside camping is about all they have to offer.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank McKTopher
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The reviews that I have read here are a little blown out of proportion. This is a great little campground. The spaces are pretty good compared to some we have stayed. The other sites aren't up your sewer pipe like some of the other campgrounds in the area. The sites are right on the river, which is beautiful. Early mornings when the sun is coming up, you can sit there and watch the fog rise from the river. You can watch the duck and their ducklings, the geese and their goslings. It's very interesting to to watch them take care and protect their babies. Then there is a train track on the other side. If you are a train lover as I am, you'll enjoy the trains going by. Overall, this is a great place to stay. If you are looking for a 5 star campground, then you need to go to Florida and stay at a RV resort and pay $150-200 a night. If you want a nice relaxing weekend in the mountains, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Robert I
Rossville, Georgia
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The river side location is great. Not too far from Asheville. We went during the week and in off season, so there were not many other campers. It would have been a little crowded if it were full. Spots are tight for larger rigs. Can't get any closer to the water. We did not use the bath houses.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank partraveler
NC
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Seriously, these negative reviews are blown WAY out of proportion. My son and I have been camping here for several years around this time of the year and we have never experienced any problems with the owners and the camp sites are spacious enough and right on the French Broad River. Ok, so it's not the cleanest bath house but if you demand perfection, maybe you should stay in a hotel instead of a tent or camper (sorry, but even in a hotel you will find TONS of nasty germs floating around). One of the main reasons I like this place is because the sites are just a few feet from the river, it's a convenient location, very safe and quiet. There are worse places to stay out there...trust me.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank panthersfan1970
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My family and another went to this campsite for a whole week ( which is not recommended whats so ever ) and it ruined camping for everyone. I love the outdoors, but I also love my showers. The 'bathhouse' was a complete JOKE as to there was no one to clean it but a 'For everyone's safety please mop after yourself ' sign with a bucket of dirty water and a smelly mop next to the door, the stalls didn't even have proper doors there was a curtain ( you could see through it ) and a wooden thing that had no latch and did not close all the way. The shower had mold everywhere ! my sisters and I had to get clever and buy biodegradable shampoo and conditioner to shower in the river. The trash was over flowing all the time, GROSS! and a lovely train with a really loud whistle comes buy every 3 hours, even during the night. I don't think the 'rent a john!' were ever cleaned out so pray that your campsite is not down wind from them. I wish I had pictures to show but I'm afraid the health department would become involved. On the plus side the river is absolutely gorgeous! just choose an alternative camp site

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank lifeliving123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asheville
The Residences at Biltmore
#12 of 66 in Asheville
Asheville Cottages
Asheville Cottages
#1 of 21 in Asheville

Been to French Broad River Campground? Share your experiences!