“Little bit of Heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
French Broad River Campground
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We are staying at the French Broad River Campground and they have one pull thru site, #5, it is as close to the river as you can get. We went fly fishing today with Curtis Wright Outdoors Adventure and caught rainbow and brown trout. It was a 12 minute drive from campground. The campground is maintain well and is very peaceful. If you are in a bus like we are and towing a car, be ready for a test of your driving skills as it is a one way in, one way out kind of place. The girl at the office was very nice and extremely helpful upon check in. She delivered wood to site just after checkin. We have had a great time here and will be coming back. Weaverville is a very close town with everything you need. I will say that if you stay here, go to Weaverville for food, fun, and adventure.
The campground is exactly what I expected and is very peaceful. Each site has a fire ring and clean bath houses.

Room Tip: They have little cottages if you don't camp or have a RV.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher N

Reviewed 22 June 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Cedar cabin this past week while our friends stayed at a tent site for 3 nights. Enjoyed the cabin having a bathroom, shower, and bed to sleep on. The tent sites were nice especially with having water and electricity. For those that have complained about the train I think that's crazy. Feel like it adds to the charm. Enjoy being along the river, so nice and peaceful in the morning and the baby ducks were too cute. Wish there was a better place to put in and tie rafts off too but we seemed to do o.k. Loved the proximity to downtown Asheviile as we went into town several times. Overall we had a nice relaxing week.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank hpnurse
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Really enjoyed the stay here. Stayed at one of the tent sites and it was very clean and quiet. Bath houses were clean and not that far from the tent sites at all. Owners were very nice and friendly. I was sitting outside waiting to use the shower at the bath house and he came by and took me to another one so that I wouldn't have to wait. They are also very good about driving by to check and see if you need anything at all. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I am still shaking my head at some of these negative posts. We had a GREAT weekend trip. We tent camped on site T13. First impression was the tent sites were too small but once we started setting up we realized we had plenty of space. It was right on the river. VERY peaceful. The attendants of the campground would ride around periodically and check to see if everything was ok, which was nice. If you bought firewood at the front office they would deliver it for you.
Fishing was ok. We only caught two, a small mouth bass and some type of carp. There is a train that comes through every few hours. It is cool to watch it but it can be a nuisance after you have turned in for the night.
OVERALL, we had a GREAT weekend! We were able to relax & enjoy the riverside while staying at a great campground!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tiffany m
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I tent camped two nights at this campground this last Fri & Sat night (4/26 & 4/27). First impression was a very unattractive, disorganized front office. Price was right and the site is directly on the French Broad River about five miles outside of Asheville. But as I drove to my site I could immediately see that the campground - though it had potential - was in a state of disrepair. Old RV's of homesteaders mixed with self-built log cabins was the scene. Sites were predominantly dirt and they were absolutely littered with Geese poop. There were no trash cans throughout the campground and most homesteaders' sites were unattractive to say the least. I think this campground has a lot of potential and hope the owners a) bring in someone with a vision for the campground's potential and b) invest a little capital in making the necessary upgrades.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I almost dont want to write a good review b/c I hate when I find a good place and then it gets mobbed. LOL Having said that, I do not want to steer people in the wrong direction, this is not the cookie cutter, 'starbucks' type of camp ground with resort ammenities, but this is exactly why I love it (we go with no kids). We like to do rustic tent camping and this is the perfect place, right along the river, and not very big, you are not on top of each other and its not full of RV's. I have gotten to campgrounds that are full of RV and we are the only ones in a tent -and on holiday for that matter..- and it is just plain weird. They rent tubes, for a ridiculuos amount, like $5 or $10 for the whole day, so you can go down the river, they deliver ice and wood through the night. The are some reviews talking about the service, while they are not the friendliest, customer service oriented people, they are not rude either, that is just the way they are. It adds to the charm I think. At night time you can see lights on the other side of the river from the fireflies, listen to the sounds of the night and the river. Can you tell I love it? We drive 14 hrs once a year to stay for a weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for the very last site. its away from the rest in its own private rock over the river and there...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank polos26
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Do not plan to stay here again. River views are great. Trains are not the big problem. Owners lack or slack is a problem. We prefer some privacy while camping. Our neighbors on both sides are too close for comfort. The folks are fine just small space equals too close for comfort.

• Stayed: November 2012