“Nice place”

Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
“Nice place”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My only complaints are that you can hear noise from the surrounding units, so be sure to try to get a top floor unit. In addition, I would have preferred black out shades on the windows. The staff is great. The property is maintained real well. I waqs dissappointed the hot tub closed at 10PM. Other than that, enjoy this place. Great location to the Bilmore Estate. Gas fire place is very nice. The gym is small be acceptable.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor for the least amount of surrounding noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Plantman4U
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thanks so much for the great review, and I appreciate your feedback about the window coverings and the noise. I'm sorry if either of those things were a hindrance to your visit, and I look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you're in Asheville -- I'm confident we can perfect your experience!

Bill Cummings, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
NH
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Fabulous location in Asheville and the property was great. We got a studio suite and were happy to find a fully functional kitchen with huge fridge, granite counters, and washer/dryer! Excellent value for the $$.

Room Tip: Unless you really need multiple bedrooms go with the spacious studio suite for the best value.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tworescues
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for this stellar review! I'm so glad you liked your suite, the property, and the amenities. I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The Residences at Biltmore is a fabulous place to stay during your trip to Asheville. The apartments are clean, updated, and spacious. My family and I only spent one night there but I would have loved to stay longer.

I worked out I the fitness room and was pleased with the equipment available. My only complaint is that we arrived at 2:30 pm and was told our room wasn't ready but if we left a contact number someone would call us when it was ready. We spend some time enjoying the city but never ever received a call. Check in time is 4:00pm so after 4 I called to let them know we had not received a call but surely our room must be ready. It was;however, we were never notified. I'd say overall the concierge service was mediocre. They were sorely in need of more staff when we checked in at 4:30pm. I had to wait in line for almost 15 minutes just to get my room keys. I had completed the other checkin procedures when we arrived at 2:30pm.

All things considered, I would love to stay here again. All 7 of the people I my party had ample space and the accommodations were stellar!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank trudy234
Thank you so much for sharing this excellent review, and I appreciate your feedback about the complications with your check-in. You're absolutely right, it sounds like we were somewhat understaffed, and I'll be sure to look into that. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that caused you and your party! That being said, I'm thrilled to know that your stay was otherwise comfortable and enjoyable. I too hope that you'll return to stay with us the next time you're in Asheville -- we look forward to it!

Boone, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We were very impressed initially when we arrived. Our room was spacious and we'll decorated. It has a full kitchen and a balcony. However, we soon found out the walls were very thin and you could here the upstairs every move and their TV. The mattress was very old and hard and lumpy. Needless to say, we got very little sleep. When we tried to make our coffee in the morning, the pot overflowed because of a stopped up filter. When we complained as we checked out the employee said she was sorry and would report it to maintenance. We payed way too much for the room for that quality of sleep and no compensation. We won't return.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Lentzd
I'm extremely sorry to hear this, and I hope you'll accept my sincere apology for any discomfort you experienced. I do assure you that our mattresses are the highest quality and swapped out as soon as they begin to age. I'm terribly sorry if you were subjected to noise from your neighbors -- I understand how frustrating that can be. I hope you felt comfortable alerting the front desk about that issue. As for the coffee filter, I will notify housekeeping that they need to more diligently check such things. Thank you for that feedback.

Best,
Columbus, Oho
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Sleep is important to us.....

The property is lovely though we never got to the pool/fire pit area. We were visiting family so we had reserved a two bedroom suite. The suite worked exceptionally well given the overall size and separate bath rooms. The full sized kitchen was a plus. Parking wasn't an issue for us.

The bathrooms were spacious, very clean and well stocked with toiletries and quality linens. The master had a large glassed in shower. Two robes hung in each bedroom closet. The bed linens were high thread count. There were more than adequate pillows and very comfortable mattresses.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Julie from housekeeping is worth individual mention. We didn't ask for directions or local information so we can't comment on accuracy. Our key cards were cancelled part way into our stay, but that was the only glitch. An early check in after an eight hour drive would have been a plus but that wait led to a pleasant glass (or two) of wine at the 5 Walnut Wine Bar.

The not so good...the traffic on Biltmore ave can make it challenging to get out at times. The TV remotes were missing from each bed room. They had Direct TV remotes but no ability to control the TV functions...so no volume control, sleep timer etc. There were controls on the TV itself of course though hardly convenient. The TV in the living room was a different brand so it's remote wouldn't work in the bed rooms. One quirky complaint is that the bed frame at the foot of the bed in the master arched out about 8 inches from the side of the mattress at the top. It was at the level of the mattress as well so it was easy to overlook and even easier to run into. Repeatedly. Especially when getting up to manually turn the TV off or change the volume :-)

The WiFi was also spotty--probably a bandwidth issue given the times it would fail.

The bad....trying to sleep. Despite the oh so comfy beds and linens, the glare of the parking lot lights through the wooden slat blinds was relentless. Think Close Encounters alien space craft beaming lights through the blinds brilliance. We do appreciate a well lit parking lot. We just appreciate it more when we can keep it out of the bed room.

Then there was the noise. We are not talking a low grade, Tell-Tale Heart type of noise, we are talking a full blown clogging convention. At midnight. We marveled at how loud a toilet flush could be. Our poor white noise machine never had a chance.

At least, after the sleep disrupted night, the coffee they supplied was very good. Quick tip, if you need more coffee, skip Starbucks, turn left on Biltmore (which runs into) Hendersonville rd. Go past I40 and on your left is Biltmore Coffee Traders. It is a little dilapidated house and easy to miss but full of wonderful coffees, gelatos, and combinations. They roast their own beans daily and will grind them for you to use in the drip style coffee maker in the kitchen.

Overall, 3 1/2 stars is probably right. We might stay again given similar circumstances but would explore quieter options. It's a wonderful place other than the sound and light issues.

Room Tip: Top floor only please.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DocRT
First and foremost, thank you for this extremely well-composed and thorough review. It's wonderful to hear such level-headed, clearly communicated feedback from a guest. The first section outlining the good parts of your stay is excellent to read, and I'm so pleased that for the most part you were happy and comfortable while staying with us. The "not so good" is certainly frustrating, and absolutely feedback we will take into consideration. Certainly the remote situation needs to be remedied, and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. As for the "bad," I'm very sorry you had trouble sleeping because of noise and the lights from the parking lot. This is something I'll look into and do my best to prevent from happening again. Again, my sincere appreciation for your feedback and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back and give you something closer to the five star experience you deserve.

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Staying for two nights in October. For $300 a night and having a dozen parking spots taken by non guests and being told I can park at the bottom of the hotel is not acceptable. They do not enforce parking passes. Wife 32 weeks pregnant and we walked up hill is not acceptable. This is actually a condo and not a hotel. No room service or resturant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cwilke
I'm very sorry about the parking situation. I wish I had more information about what happened, but rest assured I will look into it with the staff. Of course your wife shouldn't have to walk -- pregnant or not. Please accept my apologies and know that your feedback will be put into action.

Best,
Estero, Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2013

A destination wedding in Asheville, NC? Not a spot I would pick, but so be it. Our six days would be a chance to reconnect with family members we don't see often, celebrate our nephew's special time and meet up with friends who moved to the area years ago and we haven't seen in all that time. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law stayed in The Residences on their many trips to Asheville for wedding preparations, so we decided to take their recommendation and book a two-bedroom unit.

It was a wonderful surprise in many ways: two nice-size bedrooms, lots of closet space (and the padded hangars were a really nice touch), two full baths (one with a soaking tub) and joy of joys a full-size kitchen with newer appliances and a double sink with garbage disposal. The cupboards had service for eight, including wine glasses!

All in all it was a nice experience staying here, but like everything in life, there were good and bad things. To be fair, the good things were very good and the bad were not deal breakers, just things that could make this place even better.

THE GOOD:

The two times I called the front desk, they were quick to respond as were the cleaning staff. The problems were fixed within an hour.

All the staff was very friendly.

This made me the happiest: There was an abundance of towels, washcloths, etc. And they were replaced daily. And they were big and fluffy, too! Nirvana!

Something every hotel should provide: a washer/dryer combination. This meant we could keep our packing light and still have clean clothes every day!

Another goodie this woman appreciates: a lighted mirror (several settings) that has a magnifying side. Perfect for putting on makeup, etc.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT:

It would be nice if somewhere in the suite there was a full-length mirror. We were attending several wedding-related events and it would've been nice to see my whole outfit top to bottom.

The people manning the concierge desk do not have a good knowledge of the area. When we asked directions the ones they gave us were either wrong or included things they didn't warn us about like one-way streets going the opposite way we were told to turn and road construction.

The pool/hot tub are was not accessible to us because the only way to get to these amenities was to climb a steep staircase. Both my husband and I have knee problems that make stair climbing painful and sometimes impossible. We even brought a swimsuits so we could take advantage of the hot tub and pool.

This is a biggie: We could hear every movement of the room above us. In other reviews I've read, this has been a big complaint. There must be a way to add sound proofing between the floors.

This last one is because we were still in the hotel on the first night of the new season of "Homeland": Please add Showtime to the lineup of channels offered.

Room Tip: Insist on rooms that are on the top floors only. This way you won't have anyone walking over you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chicago47
First and foremost, thank you for choosing to stay with us during your six-day trip to Asheville! Although it wasn't your first choice of destination, I hope you had a nice time and would consider coming back to see us again someday. I'm very happy to hear that you were comfortable and enjoyed the suite, had good service when you needed it, and appreciated the little touches (wine glasses, lighted mirrors, fluffy towels, etc.). As for the not-so-perfect elements of your stay, I am truly sorry and I will absolutely take your feedback into account. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this detailed review and we hope to welcome you back again if you ever return to Asheville.