“Decent accommodation, but didn't sleep well”

The Residences at Biltmore
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Our studio was fine for 2, although the queen bed seemed small, perhaps because of a very soft mattress which sloped toward the middle. Sliding glass door shutters didn't adequately control light, which contributed to poor sleep.

However, the Residences has much to recommend it:

Clean bath with large shower, good water pressure, abundant counter space, lighted magnifying mirror, good supply of fluffy towels.
Kitchenette with coffee/tea supplies, full refrigerator, micro, sink, dishes/utensils--perfect for grabbing a quick breakfast.
Small washer and dryer in the unit with complimentary detergent in the office.
Free parking consistently available near our unit.
WiFi worked fine and no noise issues in our unit--perhaps fortunate with quiet neighbors.
Friendly, decent staff. Returned one evening to find "Matt" on the phone calling in favors to help 5 women with car brake issues. They said they had to start back to Michigan (?) the next morning. (Surprised when we saw them shopping in Asheville late the next afternoon, but perhaps they were still waiting for their car.) We waited at least 20+ minutes to ask Matt a simple question when he was helping with the brake issue, but were impressed with his efforts.

Location is out of the shopping and downtown areas, but it was quick to get to the areas of interest to us.

Did not check out the pool--too busy enjoying the Asheville area.

CONS: Although bath and kitchen clean, the living area could use more attention on carpet stains, dusty baseboards, dirty area around the entry, grout, etc.

Small kitchen table would not work well for more than 2, even though 4 chairs were available.

No room for a bedside table on one side of our Queen bed, so obviously little light for reading.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FourWinds_11
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

I appreciate your very thorough review, and I'm glad to know that a seasoned traveler (as you seem to be) was pleased with the overall experience here. I will absolutely take into account your feedback about the carpets and baseboards in the living area, as well as your issue with the mattress. As for the positives, we do our best to keep everything perfect for our guests, and you should expect nothing less upon your next visit. I know I speak for the whole team when I say we hope that visit is soon!

All the Best,
Bill Cummings, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My only complaints are that you can hear noise from the surrounding units, so be sure to try to get a top floor unit. In addition, I would have preferred black out shades on the windows. The staff is great. The property is maintained real well. I waqs dissappointed the hot tub closed at 10PM. Other than that, enjoy this place. Great location to the Bilmore Estate. Gas fire place is very nice. The gym is small be acceptable.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor for the least amount of surrounding noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Plantman4U

Thanks so much for the great review, and I appreciate your feedback about the window coverings and the noise. I'm sorry if either of those things were a hindrance to your visit, and I look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you're in Asheville -- I'm confident we can perfect your experience!

Bill Cummings, General Manager

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Fabulous location in Asheville and the property was great. We got a studio suite and were happy to find a fully functional kitchen with huge fridge, granite counters, and washer/dryer! Excellent value for the $$.

Room Tip: Unless you really need multiple bedrooms go with the spacious studio suite for the best value.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tworescues
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for this stellar review! I'm so glad you liked your suite, the property, and the amenities. I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The Residences at Biltmore is a fabulous place to stay during your trip to Asheville. The apartments are clean, updated, and spacious. My family and I only spent one night there but I would have loved to stay longer.

I worked out I the fitness room and was pleased with the equipment available. My only complaint is that we arrived at 2:30 pm and was told our room wasn't ready but if we left a contact number someone would call us when it was ready. We spend some time enjoying the city but never ever received a call. Check in time is 4:00pm so after 4 I called to let them know we had not received a call but surely our room must be ready. It was;however, we were never notified. I'd say overall the concierge service was mediocre. They were sorely in need of more staff when we checked in at 4:30pm. I had to wait in line for almost 15 minutes just to get my room keys. I had completed the other checkin procedures when we arrived at 2:30pm.

All things considered, I would love to stay here again. All 7 of the people I my party had ample space and the accommodations were stellar!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank trudy234

Thank you so much for sharing this excellent review, and I appreciate your feedback about the complications with your check-in. You're absolutely right, it sounds like we were somewhat understaffed, and I'll be sure to look into that. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that caused you and your party! That being said, I'm thrilled to know that your stay was otherwise comfortable and enjoyable. I too hope that you'll return to stay with us the next time you're in Asheville -- we look forward to it!

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We were very impressed initially when we arrived. Our room was spacious and we'll decorated. It has a full kitchen and a balcony. However, we soon found out the walls were very thin and you could here the upstairs every move and their TV. The mattress was very old and hard and lumpy. Needless to say, we got very little sleep. When we tried to make our coffee in the morning, the pot overflowed because of a stopped up filter. When we complained as we checked out the employee said she was sorry and would report it to maintenance. We payed way too much for the room for that quality of sleep and no compensation. We won't return.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Lentzd

I'm extremely sorry to hear this, and I hope you'll accept my sincere apology for any discomfort you experienced. I do assure you that our mattresses are the highest quality and swapped out as soon as they begin to age. I'm terribly sorry if you were subjected to noise from your neighbors -- I understand how frustrating that can be. I hope you felt comfortable alerting the front desk about that issue. As for the coffee filter, I will notify housekeeping that they need to more diligently check such things. Thank you for that feedback.

Best,

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Sleep is important to us.....

The property is lovely though we never got to the pool/fire pit area. We were visiting family so we had reserved a two bedroom suite. The suite worked exceptionally well given the overall size and separate bath rooms. The full sized kitchen was a plus. Parking wasn't an issue for us.

The bathrooms were spacious, very clean and well stocked with toiletries and quality linens. The master had a large glassed in shower. Two robes hung in each bedroom closet. The bed linens were high thread count. There were more than adequate pillows and very comfortable mattresses.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Julie from housekeeping is worth individual mention. We didn't ask for directions or local information so we can't comment on accuracy. Our key cards were cancelled part way into our stay, but that was the only glitch. An early check in after an eight hour drive would have been a plus but that wait led to a pleasant glass (or two) of wine at the 5 Walnut Wine Bar.

The not so good...the traffic on Biltmore ave can make it challenging to get out at times. The TV remotes were missing from each bed room. They had Direct TV remotes but no ability to control the TV functions...so no volume control, sleep timer etc. There were controls on the TV itself of course though hardly convenient. The TV in the living room was a different brand so it's remote wouldn't work in the bed rooms. One quirky complaint is that the bed frame at the foot of the bed in the master arched out about 8 inches from the side of the mattress at the top. It was at the level of the mattress as well so it was easy to overlook and even easier to run into. Repeatedly. Especially when getting up to manually turn the TV off or change the volume :-)

The WiFi was also spotty--probably a bandwidth issue given the times it would fail.

The bad....trying to sleep. Despite the oh so comfy beds and linens, the glare of the parking lot lights through the wooden slat blinds was relentless. Think Close Encounters alien space craft beaming lights through the blinds brilliance. We do appreciate a well lit parking lot. We just appreciate it more when we can keep it out of the bed room.

Then there was the noise. We are not talking a low grade, Tell-Tale Heart type of noise, we are talking a full blown clogging convention. At midnight. We marveled at how loud a toilet flush could be. Our poor white noise machine never had a chance.

At least, after the sleep disrupted night, the coffee they supplied was very good. Quick tip, if you need more coffee, skip Starbucks, turn left on Biltmore (which runs into) Hendersonville rd. Go past I40 and on your left is Biltmore Coffee Traders. It is a little dilapidated house and easy to miss but full of wonderful coffees, gelatos, and combinations. They roast their own beans daily and will grind them for you to use in the drip style coffee maker in the kitchen.

Overall, 3 1/2 stars is probably right. We might stay again given similar circumstances but would explore quieter options. It's a wonderful place other than the sound and light issues.

Room Tip: Top floor only please.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DocRT

First and foremost, thank you for this extremely well-composed and thorough review. It's wonderful to hear such level-headed, clearly communicated feedback from a guest. The first section outlining the good parts of your stay is excellent to read, and I'm so pleased that for the most part you were happy and comfortable while staying with us. The "not so good" is certainly frustrating, and absolutely feedback we will take into consideration. Certainly the remote situation needs to be remedied, and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. As for the "bad," I'm very sorry you had trouble sleeping because of noise and the lights from the parking lot. This is something I'll look into and do my best to prevent from happening again. Again, my sincere appreciation for your feedback and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back and give you something closer to the five star experience you deserve.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Staying for two nights in October. For $300 a night and having a dozen parking spots taken by non guests and being told I can park at the bottom of the hotel is not acceptable. They do not enforce parking passes. Wife 32 weeks pregnant and we walked up hill is not acceptable. This is actually a condo and not a hotel. No room service or resturant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cwilke

I'm very sorry about the parking situation. I wish I had more information about what happened, but rest assured I will look into it with the staff. Of course your wife shouldn't have to walk -- pregnant or not. Please accept my apologies and know that your feedback will be put into action.

Best,