“Outdoor seating, fresh food, convenient location”

Carmel's Restaurant & Bar at The Grove Arcade
Ranked #74 of 811 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown Asheville
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We didn't plan to eat here but we were visiting downtown Asheville just before dinnertime and were pleased to see that they offered a gluten free menu.

Because it was such a pleasant day, we chose to sit at a street side table. My biggest dilemma was that there were so many good choices. My son had Carolina BBQ chicken pizza, with chicken, onion, bacon, and BBQ sauce and I had a Berry Salad with grilled shrimp. The salad had mixed greens, goat cheese, almonds and a berry vinaigrette dressing.

Our waiter was friendly, attentive but not intrusive. We would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I came to Asheville this week with the staff from my school for an arts integration training. Many of us decided to go out to eat together and I have always seen a good crowd at this restaurant, but had not yet tried it. A small part of our group stopped by to request reservations for a little later that evening. We were not sure how many people were going to be coming in total, but did a basic count of 20. The manager and wait staff were all very friendly. Although they did not have room for all of us at any one table they had us grouped at tables very close together. After the planned number of people in our party were seated there were a few more who showed up and the staff was kind in allowing us to add them to our group. We all enjoyed the food (the shrimp and grits were delicious!) and the only problem we had was waiting for the checks to arrive, but we were not in a hurry. I would definitely recommend it!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

While visiting downtown Asheville, my wife and I had lunch at Carmel's Restaurant & Bar in the Grove Arcade. While we were not overwhelmed by the shops in the Grove Arcade, we did totally enjoy our lunch at Carmel's.

The Grove Arcade building itself was worth visiting if you are into classical style historic architecture.

The Pizzas we ordered for our lunch were both "personal style" sized and we shared the two different ones we ordered. While the pizza's were excellent, the atmosphere of sitting outside, right on the street corner could not have been better.They have it set up with ample umbrellas for shade and there were flowers all around the sidewalk and table area perimeter.

Carmel's is an excellent place to visit for a great lunch or dinner while visiting Asheville. Sit down, relax, and enjoy!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We were seated out by the street corner which was neat but as it was night time and there was no lighting it was quite difficult to read the menu. The food was average at best and quite overpriced. Our waiter was right on par though!

1  Thank Littlefoot2985
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Grilled Salmon Cesar with Tomato Bisque Goat cheese soup ordered by my wife, and a delicious flat bread pizza on my side. Home made pimento and cheese dip appetizer along with the entrees were excellent and delicious suggestions by the friendly and attentive wait staff. Menu selections were varied and all looked tempting. A very good selection when having lunch at the Arcade.