“Amenities good, room disappointing.....”

Best Western Asheville Tunnel Road
Ranked #23 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sunderland
“Amenities good, room disappointing.....”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We chose this hotel as it was reasonably priced compared to most other hotels in the Asheville area and other reviewers seemed to give it the thumbs up.

We arrived at the hotel at 9.30am after an overnight flight, we were all very tired and the lady on reception was able to check us in straight away which was fantastic as it enabled us to get a few extra hours of much needed shut eye.

We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds which were very comfortable. The room did look fairly modern as far as motels go but it was very dark and dingy. There was a very small bathroom, probably too small for a family of 4 staying in the same room and the towels were unbelievably tiny which made it difficult to get fully dry.

The bathroom's fan was out of order for our entire stay which resulted in the room being very damp. Even with the air con on, the feeling of damp was constant. This also attracted a few insects, including waking up to giant wasp on our first morning!

The pool was nice, good size and had a basketball net in it for the more playful swimmers. Breakfast was good, a good range of hot and cold items, hot drinks and juices.

We booked a taxi into downtown Asheville which cost around $10. This is a great place to visit on an evening, it has a vibrant nightlife and could be described as a mini-San Francisco. Lots of breweries downtown therefore beer is dirt cheap! :)

To summarise my stay here, I would emphasise that it is a MOTEL and any potential bookers should bear this in mind. Because of the good reviews and the fact the hotel had been refurbished I had imagined it to be a bit more glam than it is in reality. Although the facilities and amenities were good, what let me down was the poor lighting and dampness of the room, it made for what was a slightly disappointing stay. If I was to visit Asheville again I would choose different accommodation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 July 2011

we stayed two nights rooms were okay not great rooms could definetly use some refurbishing decor is a little tired looking a little more landscaping would be nice

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Concord, NC
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The Best Western Tunnel Road is a mixed offering. On the plus side, the location is convenient to downtown Asheville and nearby attractions, the rooms are spacious, have been recently remodeled and the end result is a much nicer room that you might expect at your typical economy hotel. There is also a complimentary breakfast and a swimming pool, although the pool is in front of the hotel, on a busy road, so the atmosphere is lacking, but what do kids care about that? My major complaint with the hotel was the airconditioning system in the room. It put out plenty of cold air, but it was one of these units that shuts down completely when the desired temp is reached. Then when it warms up again, the unit kicks back on with considerably noise and proceeds to blow high volumes of cold air right onto your head, since the in-wall unit is right next to the head boards of the beds. This made for a very poor sleep and an uncomfortable night. If this is not a big deal to you, the hotel was well priced, in an expensive city, and offerered more than many economy hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The rooms were nicer than I expected, the bed was comfortable. It was very hot when we were there, I was worried about the air-conditioner (from a previous review) - but it was very good. The staff was ok. The pool was really nice, and open late - until 10pm! The location was very nice - with downtown Asheville only 2-3 miles away. There's a car rental shop just down the street, if you need it. There is a mall less than a mile away, as well as restaurants. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Secaucus, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I can't believe the bed bugs review is true. I'm awakened by the icheness and writing this review instead of getting a good sleep before headig back to work.

My family stayed in this hotel for one night during our trip. Despite the good things I read from other reviews, I should've taken it seriously about the one review for bud bugs. The window A/C unit makes so much noice that I couldn't sleep tight. Then I felt icheness and welts around my wrists, I covered my wrists and arms with the blanket and tried to get back to sleep. But I was awakened again with iches and welts around my angles and feets. I got though the night thinking it must be myself for the icheness. But when I asked around in the morning, both my wife and father-in-law had the same welts. The worst thing is that the icheness gets worse as time goes by and I had welts on my arms, legs, lower back and even one on my head.

Avoid it as this put a big stint on my otherwise perfect trip!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jchang71
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Nice and clean motel with friendly service, conveniently located off the interstate. Great breakfast with omelets and waffles. Large outdoor pool and good tv channel selection. Best of all, it is only minutes from one of the best bbq joints ever, Ruby's BBQ Shack!

Room Tip: Join the rewards program!