“Warm Friendly and accommodating.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oakland Cottage B&B

Oakland Cottage B&B
Ranked #23 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
Terre Haute, Indiana, United States
“Warm Friendly and accommodating.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed in the Dogwood suite with its private porch and entrance. It was perfect for My husband and I with our little dog. Very Clean and comfortably cozy . We were only in town for one night on our trek from the Gatlinburg smoky Mountain to our visit to the Biltmore House. The cottage was very close to our destination and not far from downtown. I loved the accessible kitchenette in the house as well as the small microwave, fridge and coffee maker in our room.The Inn Keeper was warm and and friendly and very accommodating. Breakfast was delicious with sweet potato casserole, fresh fruit, quiche, home made granola, local-organic-free range- pork sausage and fresh turn overs. The towels were thick and soft and fresh just like the bedding.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
North Wales, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

My boyfriend and I chose this spot primarily because it was the right price, looked nice, most reviews were good and it's only a mile from downtown. It surpassed all our expectation. We rolled in having trekked from Pa to Ga and then NC and were having a car issue. One of the hosts was as helpful as he could be. Both of them were super attentive without being overly present.
The breakfast was amazing!!! So fresh! Yogurt, a granola apple crisp, fruit, sausage. (They were willing to make special meals if we needed it)
On a side note...
The morning we left we sat on the porch sipping our coffee remarking about the beauty of all the surrounding houses and had to laugh recalling the one review we read before we came, titled, "Neighborhood". We really couldn't believe that they chose to pay and go somewhere else. I guess to each his/her own.
The "unattractive housing" that's referred to in the review is a good mile away and it's called people who exist in a bracket other than upper middle class. Yes. They exist in every town. So, if you prefer not to face that fact and only wish to see opulence and the highest forms of prosperity in a ten mile radius, then no. I guess this isn't the place for you. In all our driving around, we did in fact see housing that was clearly not in a socioeconomically elite status, but there was no dilapidation or really anything outstanding. It simply wasn't an area of wealth that meets everyone's standards. It seems a shame that some people are so bothered by other's lack of means that they can't even face it when it's blocks away from them.
I'd go to Oakland again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kidd1983
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

spent two days at the cottage, comfortable, convenient and quiet. We were in the Dogwood suite, which has a private entrance and sitting area, wonderful. Jim and Pat provided a great buffet breakfast and a wealth of area knowledge. The cottage may not be in town, but it is at most a five minute drive to downtown or the Biltmore. The cottage is one hundred years old and beautifully decorated in a very warm style. Again Quiet and comfortable, we will be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 220ord
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We opted for two day tix to Biltmore Estates which were cheaper through the B & B and a 5 mile drive from the cottage. The home is old and charming. We picked up our tix early and left for the gardens/estate and dinner before gladly spending the the remaining evening watching UNC easily win on the small tv in the Safari Suite. Luxury wouldn't describe this room but it was comfortable and had a sitting room and ensuite bathroom. We like to stay in B & Bs for the character and this suite had character. Breakfast was tasty and done buffet style so we hardly saw Jim but had a nice chat with other guests.

Oakland Cottage isn't within walking distance of anything other than the hospital but it is convenient to Biltmore Estates and Biltmore Village where we ate dinner.(Corner Kitchen was incredible) and downtown isn't too far. Leaving the windows open for fresh air, there was a lot of car traffic throughout the night.

The fan over the bed does not work - it rubs and stops turning, though you can hear the motor.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kthomasva
Eaton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

My boyfriend and I wanted to visit Asheville for the weekend and I decided to stray away from the typical hotel stay for a change and opted for the very affordable Oakland Cottage B&B. The house was probably a 5min drive from downtown, it was clean, comfortable and charming. I was the most impressed by our hosts, they were kind, helpful and even offered to change the time of breakfast (AMAZING by the way) to accomodate our itenerary. Overall, it exceded our expectations, I hope to return next year and bring my family along.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Rose room for it's affordability, but others had more space. All were nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carriemaria
columbia, sc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Think that future customers should realize that this establishment is in what the host called a transitional neighborhood. We drove thru blocks of unattractive housing to get there and chose to pay and not stay, The B & B may be fine is you ate not worried about location.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank sara c
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had a wonderful stay at the Oakland Cottage B&B in Asheville. I was visiting my daughter who moved to Asheville earlier this year. I stayed 3 nights in the Dogwood Suite. It was very comfortable and charming. My daughter spent 2 of the nights with me so it was nice to have an extra bed. (The extra bed is a twin in what appears to have once been a porch. The window coverings in the porch don't block much of the morning light. There are cute windows between the former porch and the bedroom which have great black-out blinds. I slept very well in the bedroom. The light could be an issue if you were traveling with a child who was sensitive to it.) The breakfasts were varied, generous and delicious! I chose the Oakland because it is near to where my daughter lives, but Asheville isn't that big a city, I think it would be convenient for any trip to the area. I'd definitely stay there again.

p.s. I hadn't noticed that it was pet-friendly until I read it in a review just now. It sure didn't look look or smell like a place that had had pets roaming around!

Room Tip: Dogwood suite has its own entrance.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family