“Last minute lucky find”
Review of Aberdeen Inn

Aberdeen Inn
Ranked #29 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We wanted to see the Biltmore flowers in bloom, but found that most reasonable hotels were booked. Others wanted $300+ per night. We saw a couple of good reviews on Tripadvisor for the Aberdeen Inn, and decided to give it a try. I think that some of the reviewers who were put off by Tom, the owner, did not "get" his humor. He was very personable and a very good chef. If you don't want to interact with people except on a business only basis, go to a hotel and hand over your card to the desk personnel, get your key and be on your way.
Tom was very helpful with information on Asheville sights and restaurants. The Rose Room was so nice, furnished with a king sized canopy bed, comfy chairs and loads of antiques. There was a working fireplace with a complimentary fire log to burn. The bathroom was very small ( a converted closet ) but certainly functional. If you are a very large person, it might not be the room for you.
There were many thoughtful touches including coffee service early in the morning in the hallway outside the room, cold spring water in the hallway, generous offerings of wine in the lobby during the afternoons and evenings, well supplied rooms, a nice deck and porch for relaxing.
The Inn is a short drive to all attractions and just a few minutes from the Grove Park Inn with its restaurants and ambience.

Room Tip: The Rose Room was large, well equipped, and quiet during the time we were there. There were five oth...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 December 2013

here for a early xmas trip with the family and we rented 4 separate rooms. The rooms were adequate but a little cluttered for my taste and that really applies to whole place. The location was ok and it was clean enough. I thought the host was a little obnoxious. He bragged about his culinary skills, but I found his breakfast to be so butter laden it gave me a hangover. He said his coffee was a freshly ground blend which tasted to me like a combination of maxwell house and folgers. He said later that he had never tried the coffee and he should because it really was not good. So if the space is just adequate and the food and coffee are just average, you expect the host to be pleasent? Right? Well we found him helpful with reservations but otherwise grumpy and uncomfortable to be around. When we showed up early for breakfast he scolded us while he played solitaire. Then preceded to be late with the breakfast. The best thing I can say about this place was the wine he left out at night. Unfortunately, most of my group didn't drink. Keep looking for better place..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Thomas B, Owner at Aberdeen Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

We are sorrythat these guests feel as they do. I do feel that the guests might have been offended by what was intended as humor. Obviously I missed and for that I apologize. I do hold Masters status as a chef and yes I am proud of my accomplishments over 44 years of cooking successfully. I do rtealize that you can not please all of the people all of the time and I do feel bad about that but make no apologies for my meals.Timing is not always perfect. Coffee, yes I blend coffees and no I never say that they are exotic in type or price but they have drawn praise from certainly 98% of the coffee drinks and yes I have never tasted coffee. We do not think the Inn cluttered however at Xmas there are lots of things out and certainly could easily be thought of as cluttered but certainly not intended to be. I would guess that this custer will probably not return to our Inn but we would like him back. Thanks for the opportunity to tell our side. Tom Boyle Owner

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I wish I would have read the reviews about Tom, the host, before booking. But even that would not have prepared us for the misadventure. We arrived in the late afternoon to a looked door and called him. When he answered the door he said "We woke him up, but he probably would help us anyway." Really? That was his warm welcome ? He then went on endlessly about his cooking skills and the cost of ALL the rugs in the building. We just wanted to go to our rooms, but we could not get him to stop talking about himself. He never asked about us or our visit or what we do. It was all about him.
We also, like others, got the degrading lecture in front of others, when we entered for breakfast from the "wrong door". Not "Good morning" as any welcoming host would greet paying customers.
As others have also stated, we interrupted him multiple times playing Solitaire in the parlor/lobby area, dressed in his wrinkled pajama pants, which were worn all day ( very bizarre)

Now about the CHECK OUT process....Wow, what an adventure,( as others have also stated )
We had about $ 50 left on one BedandBreakfast certificate, and another for $ 50. Tom WOULD NOT accept both. He said He will only accept one, because it cost him money to accept each certificate and he wasn't making much on us anyway. So we need to pay the rest with a credit card and "Save" the other certificate for a return trip. REALLY ???? I thought he was kidding, but he was very firm and unrelenting. When I gave him a credit card ( may have been American Express, not sure) He said "NO WAY, this card charges too much, I need a different card or cash". Again, i was dumbfounded by this request. We gave him a different credit card and He asked if we wanted to added more for the cleaning girls. I said yes, if we can use the other certificate. He said no way. It was such a mind blowing lack of friendliness and courtesy.
We did enjoy our room and most of breakfast, when Tom was not interrupting conversations to let us know about his cooking skills and experiences and equipment and on and on... Most people were rolling their eyes, but he was either oblivious to it or just didn't care.
I would never stay there again or recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank evildoug13
Thomas B, Owner at Aberdeen Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

I do apologize to this guest. I did awake from a nap and certainly should have been friendlier. Yes I do probably talk to much but there legal and others matters of safety that must be covered and possibly they asked question that got met started. I was wrong in the discussions of myself. Guests are often chided when they come in through the sliding doors for breakfast. Sorry it did not sit well with this guest. We do accept only one Gift card per guest stay as the commission take buy the company is high it is very possible loose a lot of revenue on a transaction when multiple cards are used. This fact was covered on the phone when the reservation was made and is done with when they check in as that is when payment is made. Checking out is leaving the set of keys. Once I am sorry for the experience that I put this customer through and it would not happen again if they came back. Thank you..

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed at Aberdeen Inn for 2 nights. This was my first visit to Asheville and to a small B&B. I was very happy with the Inn. My room was exactly as it looked on-line. The entire Inn was very clean. Loved the outdoor patio, and wrap around porch. Tom is a great cook! Loved the breakfast, cooking is Tom's passion and it shows! Love the charm of the Inn and the city. I would absolutely recommend it for a great experience in a quant town! Shelly H

Room Tip: I had Mountain View room, great view, larger room. Highly recommend it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This was our first visit. We chose Aberdeen Inn because of the good reviews, and quite frankly, because they were offering a 25% off special. I was really surprised that they were the only ones listed on Tripadvisor that had any type of specials. Driving to the house, we were a little nervous about our choice, due to the sketchy-looking neighborhood, but the house is quaint and clean. Michelle is bubbly and friendly, and Tom is gruff, but not unfriendly. The room was nice and had everything we needed. The sink in the bathroom was incredibly small, but probably the best that could have been used with the configuration. That being said, I would suggest that whoever cleans in there should be sure to clean the wall surrounding the sink each time, because brushing your teeth in there is close to impossible, and there are a lot of spit marks on the wall. Other than that, we had a pleasant stay, and would probably go there again.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room at the end of the hall. 2 of the rooms are at the top of the stairs, and the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gjslhs
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Tom is a master chef and takes great pride in his food. He will hold a wonderful conversation with you if it is food related. The presentation of his food is top notched. Everything about the breakfast was fantastic. The best coffee that you can imagine.
The paint color was hard to get over until the second night then I got used to it.... extremely green! The value for the dollar was excellent for Asheville! All in all it was a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights. The home was full of antiques. I fell in love with the porch the moment we pulled up. Our bed was huge and our room had a view of the mountains. Now the food, oh my! The breakfast was phenomenal! I mean it! It was the best quiche I have EVER had. We cannot wait to go back! It was quiet and clean. They helped us pick restaurants, and they were right! There are midweek specials and you definitely get what you pay for... but in this case, more!

Room Tip: Mountain View!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple