“I would never recommend this Bed and Breakfast”
Review of Aberdeen Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aberdeen Inn
Ranked #29 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Greenville, South Carolina
“I would never recommend this Bed and Breakfast”
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Upon arrival at the Aberdeen Inn, I was far from impressed. While the location is convenient to Asheville's downtown attractions, the part of town is a little precarious, to say the least. You have to drive through run down converted apartments, zig zag past trash and dumpster filled curbs, and hope that locking your car doors at night would keep it safe enough. Broken flower pots greeted us on the front porch, and stayed there for the remaining of the weekend.
The room was tidy enough, but far from spacious. While giving the bathroom a once over, which was an extremely tight squeeze, I discovered mold in the shower curtain and hair in the drain. Needless to say it was a showerless weekend. The inn keepers were entertaining out of town friends, and after returning from dinner both Friday and Saturday nights, we found the parlor occupied by them and the wine bottles empty. So my friend and I were forced to try and relax in our tiny room, while her small infant was sleeping. When asked if Tom, the inn keeper would mind heating up the baby's milk for a mere 20 seconds, he sighed quite loudly and snorted "I guess...."
Both nights we were awoken by the water cooler in the upstairs hallway near our room. Every time a guest creaked down the wood floor to get water, the cooler would glug glug loudly and wake us up. Upon checkout, our bill totaled over $360 and Tom said that we could add any extra to that for the house keeping!!! What house keeping??!!??
The only positives I have about this Inn is that the inn keepers gave great suggestions about where to eat for dinner, good directions for traveling to downtown, and they went above and beyond to entertain THEIR personal guests. I cannot get over the fact that we payed $170 a night for mildewed shower curtains, false promises for wine, cramped sleeping quarters, and common areas that we were unable to use. I was shocked that there were not any other reviews like this for the Inn, and hope that someone takes this to heart when considering the Aberdeen Inn. Please, DO NOT consider the Aberdeen Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Autumn010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Very nice and homey b&b. Tom and Michelle were delightful and made us feel right at home, while offering advice and tips about local attractions. The breakfast is amazing. Very convenient location - easy driving to all attractions. Would love to stay with them again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband and I were looking for a cheap get-a-way that would be relaxing and fun. We found it in Asheville at the Aberdeen Inn. Tom and Michele were great. From the time we arrived they were amazingly helpful. Tom knows his local cuisine and you'll never go wrong with his suggestions. Plus, he's not shy about calling up a restaurant to see if they have what you are looking for. Michele suggested some shops downtown that were cute and trendy. They even provided us with books and magazines on local attractions. Even if they don't do it themselves (like hiking), they still had information for you to par-ruse.

We stayed in the Royal Aberdeen Cottage. It was exactly what we were looking for, quiet and private. I especially loved the satin sheets that were on our queen sized bed. It also has a frig which worked great for left overs and drinks. Someone previously mentioned wireless problems, well, Tom and Michele just got a new wireless router, so there are no more problems getting signal in the cottage.

On top of everything (accommodations, breakfast, complementary drinks) the Aberdeen is stocked with tons of movies for you to choose from. If you want to settle down one night with a good movie, they have a large variety.

Last and definitely not least is the breakfast. I can not say enough about the wonderful creations that were served to us each morning. Michele's baked goods are to die for and Tom's master pieces are out of this world. Never in my life have I had a better breakfast. It was like going to a 5 star restaurant just for breakfast. Plus, someone else had it right, if you eat it all, you will not need lunch. We just had light snacks and were fine until dinner.

We will definitely be staying at the Aberdeen Inn again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen,Scotland
Reviewed 23 September 2009

My wife and I stayed with Tom & Michelle for 6 nights, we had a wonderful time. When we arrived we were made so welcome, our room was beautifully decorated and very large with a most comfortable bed, most important. At the end of a long day walking it was great to come back to the Inn and sit on the porch with a glass of wine or beer supplied by our hosts and chat to other guests it was a lovely enviromemt.
Breakfast was a sight to behold, Tom being a trained chef produced various breakfasts for us, beautifully prepared and presented and Michelle's home made bread & flans ect was also an experience I would'nt have missed.
The location of the Inn is excellent, in fact my wife & I walked into town all the time.
If we are ever so lucky to go back to this part of the world we would most certainly stay at the Aberdeen Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, Ma
Reviewed 17 May 2009

My husband, 5 month baby and I recently stayed in the cottage for two nights. I found that their prices are really good compared to some of the other alternatives. Overall we were pleased with our stay and had a good time.

The first day we arrived, we checked in. It went smoothly and the cottage was very cute and nicely done. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom could use some updating but it wasn't bad at all. We couldn't get internet access at the cottage due to a recent storm which was a little annoying because we had to go back to the main house to order take out for dinner (we stayed in because of the baby).

Tom, the owner provides Biltmore tickets and a very nice discount so definitely buy tickets from him if you are going there.

The breakfasts were good; Tom definitely makes a good effort to provide something different. The first day we started with a yogurt and fruit parfait followed w/ two types of homemade toast, omelet and ham steak. The second day, we had the yogurt and fruit parfait again followed by a baked french toast w/ banana sauce and homemade turkey sausage. There are open bottles of wine, beer and soda that you can help yourself to and a living room w/ lots of magazines and some books. The porch is nice and spacious.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank poisondartfrog1
London, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2009

My spouse and I recently stayed two nights at the Aberdeen Inn for the first time. Our reason for the stay in Asheville was to tour and explore the Biltmore Estate as it has been on our "bucket list" for awhile now. What an AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL place!

I have a few good comments and a few negatives about the Aberdeen Inn. I must say that our initial reaction was less than expected when we found the Aberdeen Inn. The neighbourhood wasn't the best although very quiet. Fortunately the Inn was one of the best looking in the immediate vicinity and perched on a high hill. The driveway was a bit tricky to navigate up as it makes a sharp turn right next to the house and you cannot see whether you are going to hit the house or not then you pull through this carport affair and into the parking lot heading back down the hill.

We really enjoyed the big front verandah with lots of comfortable outside furniture such as wicker sofas and rocking chairs. It was very enjoyable to sit and relax here with a cold drink. The frig is fully stocked and complimentary for guests which was a very nice amenity that most B&B's do not offer.

The house itself was very big but a bit cluttered as another poster mentioned. It did not make a favourable impression to walk through the front door and immediately see the office area - computer, papers, clutter set up at the foot of the open stairway and right in front of you as you entered the home. This took away from the overall decor of the home.

Our bedroom was very nice and furnished with a big, comfortable king bed, and antique furniture. This was the Mountainview room. We were not very happy with the dirty windows though so our mountain view could have been nicer if the windows were clean. The screens were not fitting properly with a big gap to the outside. Only one window opened and the rest were painted shut. I would definitely be rectifying this if I were the owner. The bathroom was private and adequate but small. The sink was teeny tiny and you had to be careful that you didn't splash water everywhere. The shower was nice.

I did really enjoy the peace and quiet at night. But another drawback to the room was that the window blinds were white and did not filter out the light. Since the windows faced east, the light was very bright in the morning. I would have put drapes across so that you could draw them at night to darken the room.

The hi-speed internet did not seem to work from our room but when I took my laptop to the livingroom, I was able to connect OK.

The breakfasts were delicious as Tom is a Master Chef by trade. So needless to say his breakfasts were so good and very filling. The eating area was very charming and pretty with tables and chairs set up along a large group of windows. Tom was a very nice host and very helpful and friendly.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shar0nOntari0
Narvon, PA
Reviewed 1 May 2009

My husband, a long time friend and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the Aberdeen.
Being an innkeeper myself for 3+ years, this trips was the first time I've staying at a B&B as a B&B owner. I was particularly looking forward to breakfast made by someone other than myself. Tom and Michele are skillful, creative chefs, and the food was fresh, creative, and delicious. Unique sauces and delectable pastries, home made jams, and Tom's signature fruit salad was a treat for someone else who gets up at 6:00 a.m. to make vacationers drool. And drool we did. Dinner suggestions were helpful. House was beautiful inside and outside. The furniture and oriental rugs are "art works" thesmelves. Michele's gardening the day we arrived had me out buying my herbs and annuals the day I arrrived home. I hope to bring our daughter back for a mother/daughter holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple