“A peaceful stay at a peaceful place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Asheville Green Cottage
Ranked #34 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Marietta, GA
“A peaceful stay at a peaceful place”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I had to get up to Asheville for the bat mitzva of a buddy's daughter. Hotels were charging truly obscene rates for a simple room with a bed and bathroom. Even the likes of a Hampton Inn was trying to get $300 a night. I started looking around and came across this little gem. This place was half of what Hampton Inn was charging for a whole lot less. The cottage is situated at the top of a tall hill wooded hill that stands prominently across the railroad ravine from Biltmore Village, so it was very convenient to the village -- a short walk or a windy road up from Hwy 25. The cottage itself is next door to a large old stone manor house. I understand the cottage was built as a guest house for the manor house, which in turn was built by one of the Vanderbilt's lawyer. His place has a commanding view of the entire Biltmore Village. The cottage, probably nearly a hundred years old, sits beneath a thick hardwood canopy. It must be beautiful there in the Fall. Vickie and Neeraj are great hosts. Guests have the run of much of the downstairs -- a large sitting area with stone fireplace and a large dining room as well as a nice porch just outside the front door. There's some fruit and snacks waiting for you just off the entrance hall. You come and go as you please with the use of a pass code on the entry door. If you're one who constantly has to be pampered or to ring a bell for this or that at the Ritz, this is likely not the place for you. Vickie and Neeraj are very accommodating, but most of the amenities are self-serve. My room was much larger than anything I would have got at a hotel. The bed was comfortable and came with pillows of different firmness and a nice comforter. Though the room has its own air conditioner and heat, a cool breeze was blowing both nights I was there which made for perfect sleeping weather. I left the windows open, and there wasn't anything noisy going on anywhere nearby to bother me. The bathroom was clean, and there was lots of hot water. Breakfast was served at 8:30, a touch on the late side for me, but if you discuss things with Vicki and Neeraj before-hand, they don't have any problem getting something for you earlier. I had a large bowl of fresh fruit and a wonderful quiche that Vicki baked. All meals are vegetarian, and this one was very good. I had a delightfully peaceful and pleasant stay at the Asheville Green Cottage, and it was quite a value.

Green Features: The place bills itself as a "green" accommodation, and I think they do a good job in that regard.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The reviews all sounded excellent, and our friends highly recommended staying here so we decided to spend our first wedding anniversary weekend here. The house is cute and in good repair, and in a really cute neighborhood that is very convenient to everything. Nice hardwoods throughout and nicely furnished and cozy.The gardens and porch are also lovely, and the breakfast was decent- much better quality than a lot of other bnb's, and they did accommodate my need for gluten-free and dairy-free with scrambled eggs and gluten-free toast, which was very nice.

Aside from that, our stay was very unpleasant. Our room was not good for sleeping- too much noise from the creaking floor upstairs and people talking in the halls, too much light from the windows (shades were not dark enough to adequately block light and they did not fully cover the windows so light still came through the sides). Neeraj was quite nice and pleasant, but unfortunately we interacted more with Vicki. We had very unpleasant and rude encounters with her. So much so that we left a night early (we booked for 3 nights, but only stayed two) because we felt so uncomfortable there. When in the hospitality business it is prudent to be polite and kind to your guests, not make them feel like they are being an inconvenience to you...

If you do like to drink decaf coffee, be aware that she will offer you Nescafe' Instant decaf. Last I checked that is not very "green"- it is full of chemicals. Perhaps they can try just having a good quality decaf coffee on hand that they make in a single-serving french press, or Italian stove top coffee maker, or a Keurig for their guests who request decaf…

Room Tip: Zen Garden room is not good for sleeping if you are a light sleeper: very noisy from the creaky floo...
Green Features: They make your bed and tidy your room on request only.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank acujules
Vicki S, Owner at Asheville Green Cottage, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
We always feel badly when our guests don't have a really good experience at our B&B. What is helpful for us in order to be the best innkeepers we can be is for our guests to let us know during their stay how we can make them more comfortable. Unfortunately the first we heard of your hyper sensitivity to sound and light was on your final evening when you unexpectedly left. We know we could have easily resolved your problem. And we have found that almost all our guests have an as enjoyable interaction with us, as we have with them. We can estimate that at least 98% of our guests over the past 8 years enjoy almost all aspects of our Bed and Breakfast. Vicki and Neeraj
Verona, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Very nice place. Comfy beds, decent breakfast, super bathrooms, good location (especially if you're planning a Biltmore tour). Helpful, friendly owners who live in the house. Cool, shady location. Good place for dog lovers. We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are noisy if your fellow travelers above get up for a (very) early shower.
Green Features: Fantastic. No fragrances, odors. We appreciated that throughout our stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thwart7
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2013

While the “green” factor weighed heavily in decision to stay here, it turned out to be merely a bonus, as we were very pleased with ALL aspects of our stay. Serene and scenic setting, tucked into a quiet neighborhood with excellent proximity to both downtown and Biltmore. Vicki and Neeraj are very welcoming and gracious hosts, our room was very comfortable and clean, breakfast excellent(!) and we most appreciate the fact that we were able to have our dog stay with us. Many thanks again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmf0
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I just recently started reviewing on trip advisor . I had to review this place which I have been staying in for years now. It is green on all aspects. No perfumes or artificial scents. Mattresses are made of natural dunlop.Sheets and towels are made from organic cotton. The breakfast is always good and I find myself looking forward for Vicki quiche on most mornings. I always enjoy taking my tea and sitting outside on the porch in the morning. Both Vicki and Neeraj, the owners of the place, are great hosts that have been so helpful throughout the years to give us tips on Asheville and what is going on there. Vicki is very knowledgeable about green environmental practices and is very happy to share her knowledge. The place has four rooms with different themes. I always like the upper floor rooms because they are a bit larger but be ware in the summer they can get hotter. The B&B is in an ideal location. It is so close to so many things in Asheville and to Biltomore village. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Lower rooms are smaller but cooler in the summer.
Green Features: All of what is advertised about their environmental practices is very true. They take it very seriously.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fatatino
Vicki S, Owner at Asheville Green Cottage, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
The 2 larger upstairs rooms have their own separate window air conditioning units, on top of the B&B's central air. So there is no problem getting all the rooms as cool as you want.
Wetumpka, Alabama
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while visiting Asheville. I talked with Vicki ahead of time about walking to the Biltmore, and she explained that it is possible. However, she did say that there is a distance once you pass the gate just to get to parking. So, I really appreciated the knowledge passed along ahead of time. But, during that time, she mentioned that the house overlooks the Biltmore, which is a huge stretch. There is a rail yard and a forest in between, which makes a view of the Biltmore impossible. To be fair, she didn't say their was a view. Poor assumption on my part.

I don't think the B&B scene is for us. But, overall our stay was good. The others in the place were very quiet and courteous. Also, there was some good conversation at the breakfast table. My wife really is a dog lover, so the golden retrievers were a plus in her book. The Zen room is a little small, but it was adequate for our stay. No TV, which I either didn't know or didn't pay attention. My wife got bitten in several places while sleeping the second night, and we killed two spiders in the bathroom. I am not sure if the pest control is adequate in a "green" facility.

There are a lot of little things that are not there that you will feel as if you are imposing if you ask for them. As an example, I included in my e-mail that I am gluten free and caffeine free. At breakfast day one, there was no caffeine free coffee, so I had to make a trip to Starbucks later. She did offer to make me a spinich scramble, but I just ate the quiche without the crust. Still no caffeine free coffee.

If you are into fitness, you will have to take to the streets to run. But, be careful. Achievable, but caution is the utmost here. For visiting Asheville downtown and the Biltmore, this is in the perfect location. We won't do the B&B again, but if you are into it, be sure to specify up front what you need either diet-wise or otherwise.

Green Features: The soap products used are green products. Other than that, I don't know what else would have stuck out as a "green" practice.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank COBB64
Hi there.
Thanks for your comments. I love any review that can help us create a better experience for our future guests.

I sure didn't mean to mis-lead about our location in proximity to the Biltmore Estate. But we do overlook it. That forest you mentioned is the edge of the Estate. If you were thinking you'd have a view of the house, well no. As I'd mentioned that's tucked in, miles within the 8,000 acres of the estate.

I made some assumptions of my own - that when you said caffeine-free you meant tea. We just rarely get a request for decaf coffee. I'll make sure I have some on hand for the future. And I feel we alway do a very good job of meeting our guests dietary needs, like offering to make your dish separate with gluten-free toast.

My biggest concern is that you imply we're not clean here. We have never gotten a score with our Environmental Health Inspection below 98 in our 7 years running the B&B. It's 99 this year. The Zen Garden room has hardwood floor, no holes in the screens, is thoroughly clean with safe cleaning products for each guest, and has an antimicrobial natural latex foam mattress. As much as we try, in a nearly 100 year old home, we get a few small spiders. If you have a chance to check you'll see that the vast majority of existing and new construction in the Medical and Hospitality Industry strive to do building, and operations and maintenance, using green and sustainable principles. Green is healthy and clean.

I totally agree that the B&B scene is not for everyone, but we do have loyal following and lots of fun folks who like this kind of a stay. So, thanks for giving us a try.
Vicki and Neeraj
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I've stayed at the Asheville Green Cottage numerous times over the last 5-6 years. I generally try to stay at B & Bs instead of hotels because I like the individuality of the lodgings and the innkeepers, so I've stayed at quite a few over the years, and AGC is one of my favorites. It's a wonderful change of pace from the typical, flowery Victorian style of most B & Bs. I never stay anywhere else when I go to Asheville, which is about once a year. Vicki and Neeraj are friendly and attentive and the breakfasts are delicious. The inn is tucked away in a quiet neighborhood that's very convenient to the Biltmore and 5-10 minutes away from downtown. As with most B & Bs, each of the inn's four rooms is decorated in a unique style and all are very comfortable. Unlike most B & B's, however, they feature eco-friendly mattresses, bedding, towels, and toiletries and are decorated simply (though not plainly). I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Green Features: Vicki and Neeraj work very hard to run an establishment that provides total comfort for their guests while maintaining a minimal carbon footprint. And they succeed. All the bedding is eco-friendly and allergen free and the breakfasts use as much locally sourced foods as possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo