“Quite simply, superb!”

Carolina Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2013

In looking for a very special place to celebrate my wife's and my anniversary, I spent several hours reading through reviews and researching the many wonderful B & B's scattered throughout Asheville. I kept coming back to the Carolina Bed and breakfast site. It wasn't just that it was a beautiful home in the Montford historical district (it is), or that the photos of the rooms were charming and vibrant (they are) or that the location is perfect - an easy walk into the center of Asheville (it is); instead, it was the repeated raves about James and Susan Warren, the innkeepers.

We stayed in the Goldfinch room on the west side of the house overlooking the gardens and containing a wonderfully comfortable king-sized bed, a gas fireplace, more than adequate closet and a jetted Jacuzzi in the bathroom. The crisp night air in April made sleeping cozy and renewing.

Susan is a master chef, and her breakfasts ( we enjoyed three of them) were also wonderful and unique. Fresh fruit abounded, and the entrees varied from sweet to savory, from asparagus quiche to Belgium waffles with fresh strawberries and cream. In the evenings, they provide a wine and hors d'oeuvres gathering that is lovely. Creative treats, nice wine and a chance to mingle with other guests. Finally, Susan creates a lovely bedtime sweet which is slipped unobtrusively in your room in the evening.

But back to our wonderful hosts, James and Susan. James takes care during breakfast or any time you desire, to ask if he can suggest activities, places to explore and restaurants to sample. he even made reservations for us our second night. These are people who have led full and interesting lives, living in Asia, Europe and the US, and who graciously treat their guests as good friends.

One really feels as if they are sharing a special place with special friends. I would recommend the Carolina Bed and Breakfast to anyone who wants a truly memorable experience instead of just a place to spend the night (s).

Room Tip: There is one room on the first floor, which is more in the midst of things. All the rooms on the sec...
1  Thank doffill

Reviewed 12 April 2013

James and Susan were stellar. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The food is truly wonderful, you can tell they are foodies. More than anything, though, it is the hosts of the Carolina Bed & Breakfast that impress. They are friendly, have excellent advice on dining and other activities in the area, and go above and beyond when assisting their guests. My husband and I stayed in the Mockingbird suite for our honeymoon and we had a wonderful time. We had car troubles while there, and James drove us out to his mechanic and back while we sorted out the problem. We also stayed at a few other places in the area during the trip (including the Inn at Biltmore), but the Carolina B&B was by far our favorite. James and Susan have created in the Carolina B&B a beautiful, welcoming home rather than simply an inn.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We've stayed at this lovely b and b several times. It's an easy walk into town, has gorgeously decorated rooms, and wonderfully relaxing gardens and shared spaces. As vegans, we consider ourselves to be a bit of a challenge, but Susan, the hostess (and Chef) outdid herself with luxurious breakfasts as well as delicious appetizers and in-room treats.

James and Susan make every attempt anticipate guests' needs and whims, even before we do sometimes! They are both incredibly warm and welcoming and are always available to offer insightful local info, including hidden gems.

We've stayed at many bed and breakfasts over the years, and this one sets the bar. It really is *the* place to stay in Asheville!

Room Tip: The Robin's Nest room is very private, and has wonderful windows on two walls to enjoy the mount...
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Carolina B&B is a magical place -- a beautiful well maintained Victorian home, nestled in the historical neighborhood of Montford in Asheville, NC. The innkeepers, James and Susan treat you with sincere southern hospitality and graciousness. For them running their B&B is more than a business - It is a total labor of love. Their passion is ensuring that their visitors feel welcome, special and cared for and that’s what keeps me coming back – I’ve stayed here 5 times when I come into town and could never think of staying anywhere else.
Susan cooks the most delicious gourmet breakfasts I’ve ever had! James takes pride in serving each guest their breakfast plate while telling you the ingredients and describing how the meal was prepared. In the evenings James and Susan host lovely wine and cheese gatherings consisting of delectable snacks that Susan handcrafts herself. For medical reasons I am on a unique gluten free diet and can’t eat grains of any kind, nor can I have dairy and many other common staples. I was amazed at how creative and accommodating Susan was when she learned of my predicament. She happily came up with the most delicious breakfasts for me – all within my diet restrictions!
James probably knows every place and everything you’d ever want to know about Asheville and the surrounding areas – historical sites, hiking trips, restaurants, shopping for antiques, etc. He’ll happily supply you with information and directions to your destination written on maps and/or a computer printout.
I am very much looking forward to my next stay at the Carolina B & B this summer :)
Serena from New York

Room Tip: Go on line to view the rooms. If you have any questions, feel free to call the B&B.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We were lucky to secure a room at Carolina Bed and Breakfast during the Easter holidays. A beautiful, southern sprawl of a house surrounded by gardens, a pond, and pathways lined with flowering plants. The weather was freezing, so the cozy porches with rocking chairs will be for next time. Inside, a welcoming decor with fireplaces, books, wine and appetizers every afternoon, and coffee, tea, hot chocolate and home-made cookies and biscuits available all day and into the evening.

The breakfasts are spectacular: berries with custard sauces, baked French toast with blueberries, confetti quiche... something different every day. We were vegetarian, part vegetarian, and one with a diet of no flour, no dairy, no this and no that... Susan managed it with grace and goodwill, never forgetting anyone’s preferences even once.

Best of all were the people. Susan comes out of the kitchen with an apron over her running gear to greet everyone. James serves as host, answering questions, suggesting places to go, giving directions, and telling wonderful stories about their families. They are interested in everyone, and they make it easy for guests to meet other guests. We met such interesting and friendly people from all over the country.

There is no doubt that we will be returning!

Room Tip: The cottage in the back of the house features a king-size bed and a twin bed. It has a jacuzzi, a s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I visited here recently on my own on my way back north to Toronto.

I stayed in the "Miss Webb" room (despite the name its a plenty masculine room !)
which is on the ground floor and made it real easy to unload my luggage, and
convenient to the sitting areas and dining room.
Susan was a gracious host and immediately made me feel very welcome. I arrived
at 5:30pm and she showed me my room, and immediately provided a delicious afternoon
snack with some nice Biltmore Estates wine. She told me about the town, what route I
should take to walk to the downtown, and recommended some restaurants.

Asheville is an amazingly unique city - with great architecture, shopping and restaurants.
I walked back to the Inn after dinner (10-15 minutes) and was greeted by a delicious brownie
in my room. Breakfast was another treat - with good coffee, and some unique creations from
Susan, who is a great cook (so impressed I bought her cook book).

The room was great - comfortable bed, lots of good lights for reading, good wifi access,
and a nice bathroom with terrific, new shower.

I would stay here again - loved the Montford neighbourhood, and wished I had more time
to spend in Asheville.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for three nights at the Carolina Bed and Breakfast, in the cottage located behind the main house. This was our first B&B experience and, I must say, we were pleasantly surprised and will definitely return in the future!

The house is located on a very quiet residential street that is only a 10-minute walk to downtown Asheville. The neighborhood is quite interesting! There are plenty of grand old Southern style homes that have been restored / maintained extremely well, and then there are some eclectic little houses that have seen better days. It is a very safe neighborhood and we walked to / from downtown one evening, returning @ 10 pm or so, and never felt uncomfortable walking.

Upon arrival, Susan greeted us and showed us around the main living areas of the house, and then took us to the cottage out back. We were not disappointed! It is a cute, one-room cottage with the bed to the left as you enter, and a daybed to the right of the doorway. There is a small efficiency kitchen, with your own fridge (stocked with sodas and water), a Keurig coffee machine with good assortment of pods, and plates and glasses, along with a small dinette set for two. The bathroom is small, but everything that you would need is there, including one of those hotel hairdryers installed into the wall. Robes are on the back of the bathroom door, and the tub is jetted with a rain shower head above. Near the bed is a basic closet, along with a decorative corner fireplace that is also an electric heater. There is a flat-screen TV as well that can be directed towards the daybed or the large king-size bed.

The room got plenty of sunlight and the heat kept the place warm on our first night, when it was a bit chilly. At night, the pleated cellular shades did a good job of maintaining privacy when the lights inside were turned on. It was lovely to be able to have the B&B experience, but also to get some privacy when we returned to our room.

Breakfasts were gourmet dining, and we were extremely impressed. Susan is a fantastic cook and she came up with creations such as mango bread pudding (which tasted like a divine souffle) and tomato quiche. Each breakfast was a two-course meal that kept us full well until the afternoon. It was served anywhere from 8:30-9:30 am; guests could arrive anytime during that time range. It was fun to meet the other guests and chat with them; we got to do that at breakfast and during evening reception hour, where Susan presented several options of hors d'oeuvres, along with bowls of olives and nuts, and plenty of red and white wine from the nearby Biltmore estate. This was available each evening from 5:30-6:30 pm. Also, dessert would be left in your room in the evenings. The brownies we had on Friday night were absolutely delicious!

While Susan impressed with her cooking (she also prepared a fantastic picnic basket for us to take with us when we visited Biltmore one day), James (her husband) was extremely helpful with his knowledge of everything that is Asheville. He gave great directions, offered wonderful insight into nearby tourist attractions, and had wonderful advice re: which restaurants at which to dine. His recommendations definitely did not disappoint. Both he and his wife were very gracious hosts who valued their guests' privacy, but also were available to assist for just about any reason.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and hope to return to Asheville again very soon. The city itself is delightful, and we enjoyed our visit very much, but a lot of that had to do with our lovely accommodations and our fantastic hosts. There may not be a Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental in Asheville, but for the same level of service (or better), try the Carolina B&B. I promise you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple