“Lovely Bed and Breakfast!”

Carolina Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the Carolina Bed and Breakfast for our 9th anniversary. It was wonderful: adorable property, great location, wonderful hosts, excellent hors d'oeuvres and breakfast, and a comfortable bed. We slept with the windows open and enjoyed the fresh mountain air. James and Susan were great. I had called weeks earlier to let them know I have a severe peanut allergy and James asked me about it that evening. They made sure that all of the food served was safe for me to eat. The only bad thing about our stay was that it wasn't longer!

1  Thank Lauren P

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Beautifully appointed, comfortable rooms with fireplaces. Well landscaped property. Delicious breakfasts and extras like appetizers and wine at 5:30 and decadent sweet treats before bed. Coffee, tea, cider, sodas, and water bottles available 24/7. Friendly, helpful hosts urged us to feel "at home," and we did!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank polarbell
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This was our first time staying at a bed and breakfast and we will do it again as this was a wonderful experience. From the moment you walk up to the door, James and Susan are welcoming and truly make you feel like they will take care of anything you need or want. We waited too long to make our reservations, so our 2 night stay was spent in 2 different rooms, which was not a problem at all. Both rooms were very nice, extremely clean and comfortable. Susan is an excellent cook from delicious breakfasts, appetizers, and evening desserts in your room while James is friendly and knowledgeable about anything Asheville you might want to know. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to other guests a lot too. They are a great team and I couldn't think of anything they might improve on. When we visit Asheville again we will definitely try to stay here again.

1  Thank Sharon082955
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had a fabulous stay at the Carolina B&B.

The property is beautiful and nicely appointed.

The innkeepers, James & Susan, did their utmost to make us feel "at home"! The cocktail hour on their front porch with the other guests was great fun. The breakfast was out of this world. They are an incredible team that want to make sure you stay is perfect! We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We had the Bluebird Room and loved it!
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is the best bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in anywhere. My wife and I were celebrating an early 1 year anniversary and were absolutely blown away. We stayed in the Robin's Nest room which was quiet and private and had an extremely comfortable king-sized bed and a shower bathroom. I saw one room with a gorgeous footed-tub, and I think one room has a jacuzzi-tub.

The food here makes Giada De Laurentiis look like McDonald's. Seriously, every morning is a gourmet breakfast which is served between 8:30 and 9:30. My favorite was the yogurt-based pana cotta with some sort of strawberry topping that I am not sophisticated enough to describe except to say it was awesome. The quiche was also the best I have ever eaten in my life. Susan needs to be on the Food Network or at least open a restaurant. And it doesn't just stop at breakfast. Throughout the day there is a cookie jar with delicious home-made cookies. At one point there were some toffee chocolate chip cookies that were incredible. At 5:30 they serve appetizers and wine. The wine was from Biltmore vineyards and was very nice. The appetizers need to be on the cover of a culinary magazine... ceviche, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus bites, cheese-tomatoe-basil bites, gourmet olives... and that was all just on ONE night! The bed time desert bites in your room every evening also deserve mentioning... chocolate covered strawberries, lemon squares, and my personal favorite: pumpkin cheesecake with bourbon caramel sauce. Honestly it's too good. It's obviously not just a service to her, but something that she loves to do, which makes it all the more delicious and special.

James is so helpful. He gave great and practical advice on restaurants. He also seems to be an avid hiker and was able to steer everyone to the ideal hike based on ability level, length of hike desired, location, etc. He even loaned us a daypack to take with us.

You would be foolish to stay anywhere else besides this B&B. If it is booked up the weekend you are planning on coming, then it is simple: you need to reschedule your trip for another weekend that a room is available. Seriously, this is THE place to stay in Asheville.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
smallblondemom, Owner at Carolina Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

I’m blushing! We are glad you enjoyed your stay here and that you liked the food. I do enjoy preparing little treats and bites for our guests and it’s always nice to have my efforts appreciated, but I’m not sure it’s worthy of such high praise. Nevertheless we are grateful for the compliments! As always, we try to keep our food seasonal, fresh and interesting. If you return, we will have some new things for you to try but will also make sure the Murray Cookies are in the cookie jar.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We just stayed at the Carolina Bed & Breakfast for three days and it was a great experience. This was the first b and b we stayed at and it was a wonderful experience. As other reviews have said, the food was wonderful. James and Susan were so warm and welcoming and James was a great travel guide. Everyday at 5:30 they served wine and appetizers and we met other guests and had great conversations. It was very enjoyable and relaxing. We stayed in the Mockingbird room and it was nice and the bathroom was very spacious! You cannont go wrong at this place, it is not only top notch, but reasonably priced as well. The location was close enough to the downtown area that you can walk to all the shops and restaurants.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I love staying at B & B's when we travel and the Carolina B & B is now our all-time favorite! We will definitely be back on our next visit to Asheville. Susan's breakfast each morning was beautiful and delicious, and every night when we returned to our room from walking the city there were yummy homemade treats waiting for us. The food was so good that I even bought Susan's cookbook! James was a wealth of knowledge about the area. He gave us fantastic suggestions each night for dinner and was extremely warm and accommodating. We stayed in both the Cardinal and Goldfinch rooms during our visit and each was cozy, comfortable and filled with unique décor from the owners' world travels. A fantastic home away from home :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple