“Lovely, Lovely, Lovely!!”

The Lion and The Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I can't say enough wonderful things about The Lion and the Rose...my friends and I stayed there for a girls weekend away, which also just happened to be during the Montford Festival May 19. Everything from the location, the gardens, and the huge front porch, to our room with the balcony with a view...to owners Linda and Jim and their adorable dog Cedric...were perfect in every way. Very relaxing and low key. And to wake up to find hot coffee waiting for us outside our suite elegantly served on silver tray was icing on the cake not to mention the five star dining eperience awaiting us each morning at breakfast. We plan to come back next year and will be staying at the Lion and the Rose...thank you, Jim and Linda.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Craig-Toms Suite because there were 3 of us and we needed the extra bedroom. We also...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

What a perfect and charming B&B!! Everything from the rooms, the landscaping, the breakfast (food and service), the proximity to downtown, and the list goes on, makes The Lion and Rose my only mainstay when I return to Asheville.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My wife and I traveled to Asheville with another couple to visit the annual Herb Festival at the local Farmer's Market. Asheville is such a great city that we decided to stay two nights versus making a day trip of it.

We enjoy staying at B&B's when we travel because each one is different, and it makes traveling a little more special. The Lion and the Rose was given high marks by TripAdvisor so we went ahead and made the reservations and were not disappointed. The other couple we traveled with had been there several years before.

The architecture of the house is very nice with the furnishings fitting the decor. The rooms were excellent. I particularity enjoyed the 8 am coffee at the door before breakfast. Both breakfasts were presented very well and were quite tasty.

The B&B is roughly 1 mile from downtown, but we walked to dinner and site seeing versus trying to find a parking space for our car. Because the weather cooperated on our last night, we were able to enjoy the outside patio while waiting for the Super Moon to unfold with a bottle of wine.

Room Tip: Reserve a room early so you can get a reservation.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2012

rom initial friendly greeting to heart-felt good-bye, the Lion and the Rose was an experience to remember. The accommodations were like taking a step back into time, but with all the convenience of today. We were made to feel at home from the beginning to departure. The breakfasts were original, delicious and presented as if we were royalty. From the beautiful grounds and garden to the comfortable bed, all was remarkable. We will gladly stay at this B&B anytime and recommend it to all.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We spent a weeknight at the Lion and the Rose B&B and really were impressed, particularly for the price (we had the least expensive room, since we were not going to be able to partake of their breakfast and were going to spend very little time there, as we were visiting our sons in Asheville). The room was bigger than we anticipated from viewing it on the webpage. It was immaculate, with very nice touches: plush robes, quality soaps, free wifi, loads of chocolates in the room, fresh flowers on the night table, and (very important to us!) excellent lighting for reading. There were even two comfy wing chairs! We had our two sons up to our room to eat birthday cake (our oldest son is turning 30), and the innsitter even said we could use one of the parlors (we chose our room instead). When we left the next morning at 5:40 am, there was a nice "to go" breakfast for us in the guest fridge/pantry! Very nice! We love staying in Montford, and the street is very quiet at night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Beautiful B & B that is welcoming but not intrusive. We had 2 rooms: The Fanny Rice & margaret Grace. Both nice, but I'd spend the bit more and get the Fanny Rice if just one. Beautiful poster bed, quiet, you can hear the fountain in the garden and 2 nice easy chairs. Very comfortable. The breakfast Jim cooks is unbelievable. No choices, but we had great fruit, a yummy crepe and all in an elegant setting. You are at one table with who ever is in the house and breakfast is at a certain time/window of time. They let you know. Easy distance to Biltmore which was amazing. Also loved the restaurant just down the block

Room Tip: Fanny Rice is great
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've always been skeptical of reviews full of over-the-top raves and exclamations (one is too many for me), but as the title suggests, I may have joined the fray of frothy reviewers (!), but I will attempt to be objective.

No doubt my impressions were affected by my love of Asheville and my now-stronger desire to retire there. My wife, who has never been to this part of NC, knows of my ardor, and our wonderful experience at The L and the R helped create a new Asheville devotee.

Linda and Jim Palmer (he not of Baltimore Orioles or underwear-commercial fame) sweat the details effortlessly, which means they put thought and effort into every part of their B&B. The breakfast table is always set for the right number of guests with china, glassware and linens. No, it is not intimidating, simply inviting and comfortable -- Jim and Linda create that atmosphere. In my book it is also elegant; I'd never have breakfast at home in that fashion, but experiencing it on vacation is a treat. If not then, when? Same for that which you eat. I'll add my kudos to others who've described the breakfasts as unsurpassed. My only regret is that we were eating so well and abundantly at dinner, hunger had not returned by the morning for me to finish every breakfast. I'm salivating as I write. Lunch was a meal we gladly missed every day.

I wouldn't mind if information pamphlets were laid-out on a table. Jim and Linda store them in an armoir. Nice touch. Raining? They leave umbrellas by the front door. Thoughtful. Need to use a computer and print from it? It's there. Hungry between meals? Snacks and drinks a-plenty are available in the butler's pantry. (Maybe that was the reason we didn't have lunch?) Want an after-dinner sherry or port? Yes, it's always there. Information on anything in the area was always provided with cheer and charm by Jim and Linda.

And the immaculate gardens? Don't get me started.

You couldn't pay me enough to run a B&B -- the Palmers appear to enjoy it. Amazing.

I said I would be objective, here's my one criticism: in your room is a cup of Hershey's chunk chocolates which is refilled everyday. One day I emptied it by 9:00PM. I could say I wanted more and only for the sake of a critique I'll say I did. I'm certain the Palmers would have told me where the stash is if I wanted more, but how embarrassing would that be? How dare they put out an abundance of chocolate to feed my addiction? Some criticism...

Jim and Linda could/should write the definitive book on creating and managing a B&B since, for us, they've created the gold standard.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple