“Well done!”

The Lion and The Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I have stayed in about two dozen B&B's over the years. This one was one of the good ones--very clean, high quality linens/towels/toiletries, nice touches like bottled water, chocolates, and baked goods, coffee brought to our door at 8:00 a.m., good water pressure in the shower, off-street parking, etc. Jim made us a great breakfast with an egg white and vegan sausage entree that accommodated our dairy-free vegetarian diet. There was almond milk available for our coffee, too. Our hosts were pleasant and not at all intrusive, which we like when staying at a B&B. I've read the negative reviews on Trip Advisor for this B&B. If you like greasy eggs and bacon, go to a cheap diner, not a B&B! Our breakfast was gourmet without being strange, and we did not find the hosts rude at all. My only suggestion would be to add a Keurig coffee maker with K-cups to the butler's pantry, but I'm admittedly a coffee snob (they had instant coffee available 24-7, but they had delicious brewed coffee at 8:00 a.m. at our door and at breakfast).

Room Tip: We liked the Fannie Rice room. It was in a corner not adjacent to another room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Lion and The Rose Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our second stay. Quality abounds, from a friendly, unpretentious greeting through our (reluctant) departure. Great neighborhood, moments to downtown. Try the Marion Hall room. It will become your favorite. You'll meet the nicest people at breakfast! And remember the food!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bilmelater
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We enjoyed our brief weekend stay. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was very good, liked the added touch of coffee delivered to our door at 8am. The restaurant recommended to us for dinner was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I do have pictures of the wonderful breakfast the second day. I forgot the first day. The food was awesome and all the extras were well worth it.There is so much to do in Asheville that we did not have enough time to sit on the porch and enjoy the view .This B&B was pointed out in the Trolley Tour and their Tiffany Window. I can't thank the Palmers enough for the care they give to each of their guests

Room Tip: Loved the room with a bath😊I think Fanny Rice. I love a tub.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We have stayed at many B&B's and Jim and Linda's place rates as one of our all time favorites! Maybe the best! We were welcomed by Linda and shown a tour of the house, which is lovely and beautifully furnished. Our room was perfect - very comfortable and attractive and quiet. We were very impressed with the interesting and unique breakfasts served each morning - each day different and delightful and more than I could eat. They are very gracious hosts who really enjoy their vocation - they make everyone welcome! And we loved Asheville! When we return to Asheville we will plan to stay again at The Lion and the Rose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina K
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at the Lion and Rose this past weekend for a work/vacation 3 day retreat. The inn was beautiful and well cared for. I particularly enjoyed the grounds and wide front porch. I started and ended most days in the relaxing wicker furniture. The owners were friendly and helpful. They readily had suggestions about local eatries and activities. Our room was on the 2nd floor and it was extremely quiet. I never heard another guest even though the inn was full when we were there. I especially appreciate Jim and Linda for accomodating my early morning schedule. My conference start time didn't allow me to attend the normal breakfast schedule but Jim (without being asked) pulled me aside to let me know that he would have my breakfast ready at a slightly earlier time so I could enjoy his creations and still make it to my conference in a timely manner. I really appreciated them going out of their way and I really didn't expect this to happen. I would recommend this inn to anyone looking for a romantic getaway or a business trip (since mine was a combination of both.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was mine and my sisters first time staying at a bed breakfast. We chose The Lion and the Rose after reading all the revues. When we booked the room the only thing available was the Craig suite on the third floor. We knew this would be climbing stairs so we packed light. Once we arrived we were greeted by a young lady who was not friendly at all. She instructed us to leave our luggage in parlor while we take a tour. The tour included upstairs where our room was. My sister and I are in our late sixties. The young lady did not once offer to help with our luggage. We were only there for one night.
Our room was clean and well furnished. The room was noisy due to the air conditioners and fan running. Even with those running our room was still to warm. Our balcony was very small and we could not sit out long due to the street noise and the bugs.
We met Jim and Linda at breakfast. Both of them were very friendly. For breakfast Jim had fixed a new dish a breakfast pizza. This was not what we were wanting for breakfast.
Our overall view of the Lion and the Rose is it is not for the elderly.
We will not be returning to The Lion and the Rose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family