“Wonderful rooms, warm hospitality, great location”

1889 WhiteGate Inn & Cottage
Ranked #22 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Athens, Greece
“Wonderful rooms, warm hospitality, great location”
Reviewed 28 January 2008

The 1889 WhiteGate Inn was absolutely wonderful. We stayed in the Ralph Waldo Emerson room, which had a beautiful stone fireplace, a giant four-poster bed, and an astounding bathroom. Upon arrival, we were shown first around the main house, and all the available services there - free water and soda, a fancy coffee maker, complimentary baked goods, and an incredible CD and DVD library. We were then shown our room - we picked one of the new rooms in the carriage house and we were not disappointed; the room was wonderful.

Every evening there is a social hour in the main house. Breakfast is three course, served at nine am and was delicious both our days there. The inn is a short walk into downtown Asheville - about 10 to 15 minutes to all the resturaunts and shops.

I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it most highly.

2 Thank luvs_trvl_and_dogs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Chestnut Ridge NY
Reviewed 20 January 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Dorothy Parker room on the nights of January 15-16, 2008. We found this inn very much as advertised. It is beautifully furnished and well-located within walking distance of downtown shops and restaurants. The public areas of the house are very nice; the dining room where breakfast is served is particularly lovely and elegant.

We were greeted on arrival by Debbie who was very gracious and helpful. Ralph, one of the owners, was at the wine social that evening (which was a nice event).

Our room was very comfortable, with a nice gas fireplace and very comfortable bed. Our only quibbles (both minor): the bed needs a reading light on the right side, and the shower was dark (but with great pressure!).

They are justly proud of the plated breakfast which is served promptly at 9 AM. Everything we had was delicious. On the second day we were the only 2 at the table, and both Ralph and Frank came out to chat with us for a long time after we were done eating. It was one of the more enjoyable parts of our stay.

We would certainly return here if we return to the area.

• Liked — Comfort, warm welcome
1 Thank MrFriday
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Terrific experience. Great hospitality, wonderful three course breakfasts, beautiful house and gardens. I took my husband here for his birthday and booked the platinum spa package for him. The massage therapist and aesthetician came to our suite after breakfast and pampered him for over two hours while I strolled the gardens and green house and had a delightful conversation with Ralph about gardening and orchids.

The inn is close enough to downtown Asheville to walk there if the weather is pleasant. This is the nicest B&B we've stayed in.

• Liked — Top notch amenities and gracious staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank Mary Denis
atlanta
Reviewed 27 December 2007

I have stayed at the White Gate Inn a few times, and there is always more to see. The Fall colors, the gardens, the Christmas decorations. I have had the chance to stay in the new portion of the newly renovated carriage house, and the well done Dorothy Parker Suite. Both were wonderfully accommodating with modern touches and too much tradition to see in my brief stays. The breakfast was my favorite part. Homemade pastries, freshly squeezed orange juice, and good Southern Hospitality got my day started off right. I especially loved the apple/peach cobbler. Close enough to everything to feel in town, but quiet enough to get away too. A "must visit" when in Asheville.

• Liked — Gardens / Decorations
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
Alabama
Reviewed 24 December 2007

Very pretty victorian, a difficult choice among the 50 b&bs in Asheville. Christmas decorations galore. I was escorted around by Deborah. She showed me the cookies and cakes in the sunroom, and the coffee dispenser. She explained breakfast was at 9. I told her I had an early flight out and would miss it by 30 minutes. She said don't worry, someone will fix you a snack for the road before I left. She invited me down for wine and hors d'ouevres at 6, and said she would already be gone; I'd meet the other innkeeper.

She showed me my upstairs room--a very pretty dark red space with a handsome fireplace that worked. I liked the decor, and especially the windows overlooking the street. The bed was sumptuous--obviously quality bedding. The bath left everything to be desired. A small pedastal sink lacked room to put a toothbrush on it. The tub--which she gushed over its porcelain qualities and historic significance--was nasty. A yucky set of plastic curtains surrounded it, and she urged me to use the mat to keep from slipping.

That evening I went down for hors d'ouevres and met the other innkeeper. He informed me that he only served when asked. So I had to ask. He sat down across from me and stared. I made some chitchat and got out of there fast for dinner (although while sipping my wine one owner came through--he was charming--and I wished he'd pay more attention to the place).

The next morning, that tub shower left me feeling dirty. As the hot water came out of the shower, the curtains sucked toward the water and my naked body. I felt like I was standing on jelly fish on the no-slip mat. Surely a good cup of coffee would clear this up. I went downstairs for my treat, only to find the place abandoned. I sliced a cold piece of cake (boring, no flavor), and brewed a cup of coffee--I was in the serving area for 30 minutes (8 to 8:30) and saw no one. When my ride showed up at the front door, the same innkeeper from the evening emerged out of the back only to say a curt "Goodbye" and to lock the door behind me. That's it. No thanks for staying, no come back again. Nothing.

Hope the owners read this and learn. Hospitality can make your inn.

• Liked — the bed and the fireplace
  • Disliked — the lack of hospitality
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank TravelingAnnie51
whitegate, Owner at 1889 WhiteGate Inn & Cottage, responded to this review, 30 December 2007
We are sorry that this guest did not have the experience that they expected and deserved. We expect our guests to have the same level of service whether traveling as a single person on business, as this guest was or a couple here for a romantic weekend. We the owners of The 1889 WhiteGate Inn & Cottage take great pride in our level of service and our facility, as confirmed in our reviews, by our many returning guests, and our membership in Select Registry. There is always room for improvement.
When we were made aware of this review we immediately called the guest to apologize and discuss the details. We held a meeting with our managers to have them read the review, acknowledge this was unacceptable, and assure it will not happen again.
We were pleased that the guest picked our inn over the other “fifty or so in the area”. The room she picked, our Robert Frost Room, has always been our most popular. As stated on our website it does have an original 1907 bathroom. The plastic shower liners we discovered are a necessity because when water ends up on the floor it will drip through the living room ceiling onto the piano! The original china tub is quite slippery so we have mats in place to assure guests safety. Had the guest requested a modern bathroom we would have happily booked her into another room. We have considered replacing this bathroom as it is the only original one left. Our return guests, who book this room, consistently tell us that the charm of stepping back in time and enjoying this antique china tub with crazed finish would be a shame to lose and that we should leave it as is.
Again we apologize for this guests’ experience and will strive to improve in the future.
Frank Salvo
Owner/Innkeeper
nc
Reviewed 20 October 2007

The owners of the inn were excellent host. We have stayed at many B&Bs over 26 years and this is one of the very best. Frank and Ralph have not left anything undone from the wonderful three course breakfast,appointed baths ,beautiful linens,dvd movies,fresh coffee before breakfast and a great social hour with wine and goodies. I highly recommend this Inn and I think you will feel at home. I certainly enjoyed a great birthday there and will be staying there again!

A great treat for those who are dog lovers are their sweet corgies who are so friendly.

• Liked — the inn's beauty
  • Disliked — parking due to expanding construction going on
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2007

The owners/innkeepers at the White Gate were very gracious hosts. We had a wonderful tour of the orchid-filled greenhouse and gardens with Ralph and every morning at breakfast and evening at “cocktail hour” Frank and Ralph filled fed our bodies and souls with great food and warm conversation. Our hosts always made us at home, always made sure we knew where to go and what to see in the area and always made us laugh. Asheville was a wonderful place to visit and we will definitely be back to the White Gate again soon. Since the Inn’s rooms are named for poets, I’d thought I’d compose a little ditty in memory of our stay:

The White Gate Inn was beautiful
And full of lovely things
The antiques and art were elegant
The gardens welcoming

We woke to gentle knocking
on our door each day at eight
to find silver urn and tea cups
with fresh coffee that was great

The breakfasts were delicious
Each course another treat
The table buzzed with happy guests
Making every morning sweet

After a full day’s hike or shopping trip
In early evening time
We’d gather in the garden
To share stories over wine

By the end of our stay at the Inn
We felt like we were home
And the spirit of Emily Dickinson
Inspired me to write this poem.

• Liked — Great Hosts, beautiful gardens, immaculate accomodations, excellent coffee!
  • Disliked — Not a thing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends