“Superior!”

Ranked #16 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
Florida
“Superior!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

My wife & I were very fortunate to find a last minute weekend reservation available with Bob & Barbara at their wonderful B & B.

We found the Wright Inn to be superior in many ways:

• Barbara's recipes were far beyond anything we had experienced at other B&Bs. Absolutely 5 stars! (Watch for her cookbook...)
• The accomodations were excellent & just as represented by their web site.
• Above all, they went out of their way to be helpful & ensure that we had everything we needed—including advice, directions and suggestions about what to avoid. They could not have been better hosts!

• Liked — The most gracious hosts!
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank bulletsdad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
hampden pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2007

One disclaimer, I am a man who likes to stay in places that seem to be focused on making my experience as good and as uncomplicated as possible. As for the Wright Inn, the property is remarkable. It is the second largest B and B in Asheville. The entire first and second floor, the area I believe most all guests occupy, has been painstakingly and exactly restored to its original 1899 Victorian era glamour. If you want to step into the wonders of that era, this is your place. The staff were very helpful and warm. The rooms are elegant, dreamy even, clean, superbly appointed.

My comments may reveal inappropriate expectations for one staying at a B and B, but here goes. Since I have a gluten and wheat allergy, I asked for breakfasts not containing these things. The requests seemed
simple to remedy the first morning, but I felt the character of what was served me was far below the quality of where we stayed. We seem to have agreed that I would have eggs and/or outmeal during my stay there, but instead, the second morning, I was served gluten-free, wheat-free waffles. They were tasteless, rock hard (so stiff it was hard to cut them without them flying off the plate). Other guests had
the same problem. What is so hard about making what a guest requests,
eggs? Don't serve something you yourself would not want to eat. Also,
I would prefer to be left to talk with other guests rather than have a rundown of what was in the things we were served. No one seemed interested in these rundowns. My wife also felt the blueberry souffle thing she ate our first morning there was tasteless.

Lastly, the owners have decided that they want to contribute to charity through charging their guests money for snacks that are provided on the first floor. I applaud active involvement with charities, I applaud the owners for being involved in charity, but do
not commit me to donate to your charity because I am hungry. It irritated me to pay for what was supposed to be a complete experience(except for lunch and dinner) and yet be expected to buy snacks. I'm on vacation, don't hit me with something like that. Besides, I have my own charities. As a result, because we seldom had change or single bills on us, we did not grab any drinks or snacks, although we would have liked to. I mean why spend so much money on a place then charge people like this? I should also share that our room was not made up during our two-night stay. I believe this was a freak aberration. I just mention it in case other people have the same experience. I share all this because my main sense is that some of the staff saw the experience as being more about them than their guests. It was a little too precious to me. Perhaps people who love B
and B life will not be bothered by these things.

• Liked — amazing restoration, bravo
  • Disliked — interruptions of breakfast, apparent inflexibility regarding meals, forced donation for snacks
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Buttleinpa
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2007

We just returned from a two night stay at this lovely, comfortable Victorian B&B in Asheville. I researched a number of B&B's before choosing this one, but found most of them to be out of our price range. Wright Inn is reasonably priced, but you don't lose anything in terms of comfort, elegance or service
We chose the Wilkinson Room, which was located on the quiet second floor. It was a large, beautiful room with a king sized bed loaded with pillows covered with crisp white embroidered pillow cases like I might find at my grandmother's home and a warm comforter. The bed was extremely comfortable. There were windows on two sides of the room, a lovely desk, and a gas fireplace, which we used each night. The bathroom is modern and spotless with scented shampoos and soaps and a powerful shower.
There is also a separate carriage house behind the main house where families can stay.
The innkeepers, Bob and Barbara, are unpretentious, helpful and friendly and truly made all of their guests feel at home. They were well equipped with maps, directions and restaurant suggestions and eager to hear about where there guests had been each day.
The breakfasts were excellent . On a busy day when the inn was filled, one group sat in the formal dining room and another group of four sat at a lovely table set up in the parlor. We were served by the hosts as well as additional servers and enjoyed delicious fresh fruit, Bob's freshly baked blueberry muffins, and carmelized french toast and bacon. There was coffee available before breakfast for the early risers. Bob asked as soon as we checked in whether we had any dietary restrictions and we noticed one guest had a different breakfast upon request. We also noticed that one couple was served breakfast in their room--perhaps on a private patio?
A refrigerator was avaialble for the guests' use in case you brought back some leftovers from your dinner or wanted to chill some beer or wine. There are also soft drinks and water at all times.
Our favorite time was late afternoons on the porch. My husband and I brought out our books and newspapers and relaxed in the comfy padded rocking chairs, chatting with the other guests as they returned from their day's activities. The gardens around the house are lovely and the neighborhood is very walkable. In fact, our second day, we simply walked downtown and left our car at the house for the day.
When we return to Asheville again, we would definitely return to the Wright Inn and highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in a historic neighborhood close to shops and restaurants.

• Liked — Location, hosts, comfort of room, ambiance
  • Disliked — Liked everything about it--no complaints whatsoever
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HappyNCTraveler
Tampa Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2007

Clean, Cute, Quiet, Awesome!!! We've stayed here before and love it. Close to everything and really nice. Will be back again!!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank spjctim
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2006

We are frequent visitors to Asheville but had yet to find an accommodation worth staying at a second time. Just like Goldilocks, however, we finally found the B&B that was "JUST WRIGHT"!

The innkeepers are warm and friendly yet allow you your time to wind down and settle "inn". We had to leave really early the next morning and our gracious host got up and made coffee for us several hours before the breakfast had to be ready for the rest of the guests. That was nice.

Our room was cozy and had a walk out window to a rooftop porch overlooking the fine architectural details of the home. A most inviting spot and the locale of some lovely family conversations.

The neighborhood is just at the edge of Asheville in the historic Montford district and this is probably the finest house in the neighborhood, which is great for a long evening walk.

We're looking forward to our next visit to Asheville now that we have found the right inn - er, the WRIGHT INN!

• Liked — the fine quality of the home & service, and the great neighborhood right in the heart of Asheville.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — they have a carriage house seperate from the main B&B where you can have breakfast delivered!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family