“What a disappointment!”

Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
North Carolina
“What a disappointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

We travel often and stay at Comfort Suites whenever possible. We have been very pleased with the rooms and the hotels in general. But this hotel is the exception. My mother, who lives in Arkansas, was here for a visit and we planned to spend some time in Asheville. I booked the Comfort Suites expecting it to be really nice for her visit and our time in Asheville. What a disappointment! The room smelled musty, and it was very small. The bathroom was hardly large enough to turn around in, the TV was the older small type TV, not the larger flat-screen TV's in every other CS we've stayed in, and even worse, the bed linens didn't fit the beds. The bed sheets were too small and most of the mattress showed. The top sheet on one bed was badly frayed. The dust skirts on the bed were not evenly placed under the mattress and they were bunched up on the floor. The pillow cases were so wrinkled, they looked as though someone had already slept on them. The coffee pot was on top of the microwave which was on top of the refrigerator....all piled into one corner. The 'room divider' was just a small column between the bed and the sofa. I went to the desk and although the attendant was nice, he said all the rooms were the same size and there wasn't anything he could do. He said the sheets didn't fit because of the extra padding they had on the bed (other CS didn't have that problem). He couldn't give us a refund, although we had just checked in. It was getting dark, pouring down rain and all our luggage was already in the room otherwise we would have found another hotel. This hotel doesn't deserve the name of Comfort Suites and certainly doesn't live up to their advertisement of having 'breathing room'.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
CrystalCamacho, Manager at Comfort Suites Outlet Center, responded to this review, 25 September 2009
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us at the Comfort Suites Biltmore. We appreciate your feedback. We just completed a multi-million dollar renovation in May 2008. We try diligently to provide our guests with clean, comfortable accommodations at a great value and price. We are terribly sorry that you found the room to be below standard & small. We have addressed the ill-fitting sheets with our housekeeping staff and can only assume that they accidentally put the wrong size sheets on your bed. We regret that you were unhappy with the size of the TV. Our TVs do meet the standards set forth by Choice Hotels. Please accept our apologies. We thank you again for taking the time to write this review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
BirminghamAL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

My wife and I came to Ashville as the last stop on a nostalgic trip down memory lane for my birthday with family and of places where we used to live. This hotel was probably the best of the entire trip. From the time I made the reservations on line (and called the hotel with some special requests) until we left the staff was very accommodating. They were helpful, friendly, and seemed to genuinely appreciate our business. The room was very clean and the hot tub worth the extra after a long day in the car. The bed was comfortable and the room larger than a lot of the hotels today. The bathroom was small but adequate. The view of the mountains overlooking the shopping center was wonderful.

Breakfast was better than many of the chains. We left on a Tuesday morning and didn't have any problems finding a place to sit. They have two waffle makers (which was nice), and steam tables to keep the biscuits, gravy, eggs, and sausage hot. The bagels were fresh, as was the bread. They had three different kinds of coffee, and sugar free syrup for diabetics like me. The gentleman who was responsible for this area actually cared.

For people who are looking for a Five-Star-Luxery-Motel for the price of a Motel 6, you'll be disappointed. If you want a clean, comfortable, quiet place to stay that will give you a better breakfast than you could buy at Waffle House for $10-20 per person, you'll probably love it. I also suspect this motel earns awards for being one of the top in the Choice Suites chain. I've stayed in many and this was among the best -- and if we come back I suspect we'll stay here.

PS: To the manger, I like that you read all of these comments but we know that you try to meet our needs. I do like that you respond to the complaints.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
CrystalCamacho, Manager at Comfort Suites Outlet Center, responded to this review, 3 September 2009
The staff and management of the Comfort Suites Biltmore, Asheville, NC would like to thank you for selecting our hotel during your recent visit to Asheville. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel. Your comments have been shared with the staff whose goal each day is to provide clean, comfortable accommodations at a great value and price. We are glad to hear that you will be staying with us again in the future! We really do appreciate your business!
north west Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

My husband and I traveled with our friends to visit the Biltmore Estate. When we arrived in North Carolina we stopped at the welcome center and picked up a coupon book for discounts on hotel rooms. We spotted your add because it looked close to our destination and was a very reasonable price. We were extrermely surprised to walk into such a nice hotel. It was CLEAN, the service prompt and freindly . Our room was very clean , well equipped with a frig and microwave. A wonderfull breakfast bar that was included in the price. I will defineatly stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
CrystalCamacho, Manager at Comfort Suites Outlet Center, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
The staff and management of the Comfort Suites Biltmore, Asheville, NC would like to thank you for selecting our hotel during your recent visit to Asheville. Your comments have been shared with the staff whose goal each day is to provide clean, comfortable accommodations at a great value and price. We are pleased to hear that you will be staying with us again!
Lexington, KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Booked this hotel as a stay over when traveling to Hilton Head. I booked it because thought the location was great with it being near a mall. However, the mall is slowly going extinct and there was not much else around. We did find a nice restaurant across the street, but the location was less than expected. The hotel was average. Our air conditioner barely worked however it was warm all evening in our room. The staff was helpful in providing us connecting rooms, and was very friendly. I would stay here again but it is without a doubt a short time stay place only.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
CrystalCamacho, Manager at Comfort Suites Outlet Center, responded to this review, 21 July 2009
The staff and management of the Comfort Suites Biltmore, Asheville, NC would like to thank you for selecting our hotel during your recent visit to Asheville. Your comments have been shared with the staff whose goal each day is to provide clean, comfortable accommodations at a great value and price. We regret that your air conditioner was less than satisfactory. We are glad that you found our Staff to be friendly & helpful! Please come back & visit us soon!
VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Stayed here as a last minute choice. A suite it was not! I It had two small double beds and a divider if you can call it that. The bathroom was very small. There is only one elevator that took forever. We took the stairs instead. The main AC units outside our window were very loud at 3am. The breakfast area is way to small for the amount of people the hotel serves. Good luck finding a seat. The Wi-Fi kept freezing up my computer. The front desk staff was very friendly but thats the only positive thing I can say.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
CrystalCamacho, Manager at Comfort Suites Outlet Center, responded to this review, 13 July 2009
THANK YOU for your comments. We appreciate you staying at the Comfort Suites Biltmore. We value our guests input and will look into some ways to increase seating in our breakfast area. We also apologize for the loud A/C unit & the inconvenience of the slow elevator. We realize the elevator can sometimes be a hassle when we have a full house & thank you for your patience. We were not aware of any internet issues, as none were reported to us but we will certainly look into this to solve any future problems.
It is our goal to provide legendary customer service & we are glad that you recognized our friendly Front Desk staff, we will pass this on to them as they love to hear positive comments from our guests! We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in Asheville.
Suwanee, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

I'm not sure how they define 'suite', but if you go with dictionary.com's definition, "a connected series of rooms to be used together: a hotel suite", the name LIES. This is an OK hotel, but NOT a hotel of suites. Unless you count a tiny partition that separates a couch from a bed as a "series of rooms"... which I don't... the name of this establishment is highly misleading.
Other issues:
1. The elevator was out of order. Had to take everything up to the 4th floor by myself with my young daughter in tow.
2. The info book in the room said there were ice machines on the 1st, 3rd and 5th floors. Walked up to the 5th floor where I found a sign that said, "Out of Order. Use machine on 3rd floor." Walked down the 3rd floor and guess what I found... yup, "Out of Order. Use machine on the 1st floor." Walked all the way down the 1st floor and across half the hotel to get the ice machine. Finally, it worked. Then I proceeded to climb back up the stairs to the 4th floor to my room.
3. The alarm clock in the room did not work. It's supposed to be one those 'automatic' set itself alarm clocks, but it was an hour ahead. Messed with all the buttons and settings to no avail. Called the front desk and (20 minutes later) they showed up to try to set it. They couldn't make it work right either. Finally, maintenance had to bring me a new one. And all this took place well after my daughter's bed time so she wound up not getting enough sleep!
4. Wifi did not work well with my iPhone. Never did get it to work right. It actually made my phone freeze up so I had to restart it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelinMom01
CrystalCamacho, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Outlet Center, responded to this review, 3 July 2009
Thank you for submitting your review. It is very helpful for us to receive comments from our guests so we know what areas to work on. Unfortunately during your stay our elevator went down & had to be repaired. I am terribly sorry for this inconvenience. In the middle of that we were trying to replace the ice machines on the 3rd & 5th floors, of course we had to wait for the elevator repairman....when it rains it pours! I am sorry that you also had problems with the alarm clock & the WiFi. We strive to make our guest's happy & we provide amenities to help to that end. I hope that you will stay with us in the future so you can experience a truly good & comfortable stay with us!
georgebird
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

I booked this hotel on hotwire and got a great deal.

The room itself was fine. The bathroom was small but nice. Our bed was surprisingly comfortable and I really enjoyed it. The AC worked well.

When we were there they elevator was down so we stayed on the second floor. We had no trouble with our luggage ourselves, but there was somebody available to help with the luggage if need be. They also had placed all the elderly and disable people on the first floor.

My biggest complaint about this hotel would be the noise. The hallways were noisy with screaming children and their even louder parents. After I wore earplugs I had no problem.

We didn't use any of the amenities, but they had a breakfast, computers, and a well used pool.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
I want to take a moment to thank you for your comment. I am glad that you found our beds to be comfortable. I also want to thank you for your understanding while our elevator was being repaired. It is our goal to make our guests feel comfortable during their time with us so I apologize that the hallways were noisy during your stay. We hope that you stay with is again the next time you are in Asheville.