“Good Service, Could Use a Bit of Upgrading”

Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Stayed at this location because it was highly rated on TripAdvisor. The best attribute was the service. Front desk staff were very efficient and friendly on several occasions. The hotel had an indoor pool we didn't use, but it seemed large enough, although right off the breakfast area with big windows and not very private. The free breakfast was decent with a mix of hots and colds. The room was probably the biggest downside. It was fairly outdated with ceiling tiles in the bathroom, holes in the old bathroom wallpaper from multiple former fixtures, and some "classic" glass-top end tables. I guess the Country Inn chain is budget-oriented, but at $150 a night (Asheville is a pricey place to stay), you kinda expect a little more style for the buck. Our friends staying across the street at the Hampton Inn had a MUCH nicer room, I will say, but they probably paid a bit more too. Our room was quiet, which was nice, but the view to the rear of the property was just an embankment. Nothing special. For that matter, the view from the front of the hotel was just a parking lot with a lot of potholes and a busy four-lane highway. You could walk to IHOP and Waffle House from this hotel, if that floats your boat, but otherwise, everything must be driven to. Tunnel Road is a BUSY highway with no turning lanes, so it was a bit of a risky venture turning into and out of this hotel's parking lot on a steep hill. So all in all, it was just okay. I'm not sure why folks are raving about this hotel on TripAdvisor. Good service, just nothing special in terms of views, rooms, or location.

Room Tip: The two-room suites are nice, for a small upgrade fee. You get a couch and fridge in the tv room, an...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kevboom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Country Inn & Suites is a great place to stay. Staff was very friendly, didn't mind if my granddaughter took more then her share of cookies. ha The room was very clean and breakfast was to die for. Coffee was pretty dang good too. Have saved this hotel for my monthly visits to Asheville to see my daughter. I know you are probably wanting to know why I just don't stay at my daughter's house. Well she doesn't have as good a breakfast, she doesn't make cookies when I want them and she doesn't have a hot tub/pool. No brainer. Love my kids but nice to have a break and go back to a quiet room by myself. ha

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed in a one bed suite, very average room, pull out sofa bed was okay. Large bathrooms, nice showers. Pool area nice with comfy loungers and soothing music. Good food for breakfast. Funny smell in hallways. Location is a busy road with lots around it. Recommend for short stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

OK, so I'm normally a HIX and Hampton guy, until I saw the prices locally in this market and thought 'wow, I think I'll shop around this time', and I specifically wanted to stay in this end of town close to my family there.

So, how far down the list can you go in TripAdvisor and still find a good place? Well, include this one. One of those I never would have stayed at without the reviews.

Overall an excellent property, we stayed for two nights. No problems at all. Significant savings over the other two chains. The only thing at all I can think of was that getting back headed east toward downtown at the top of their driveway was next to impossible, traffic is just too heavy. But I can deal with that.

I have to admit that I've never stayed at a place before that PROMPTED you to put a review in here, reminding you, and reminding you after your visit with a quality survey. Not many places would want that from their customers, that's just daring you to do it. If that's an indication that they intend to climb up the list I think I can help them do that.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

My son and I stayed at Country Inn & Suites recently the night before our short trip to Navitat in Barnardsville, NC. The hotel is in a great location and accessible to many great restaurants, etc. The hotel was very clean and well maintained. We were especially appreciative of the cleanliness and detail taken by the cleaning staff. Breakfast was wonderful too! Overall a great stay in Asheville!!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Country Inn and Suites. The staff was extremely nice to us and we appreciated it. Room was comfortable and breakfast was good. We particularly enjoyed visiting with the lady that ran the front desk at night.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This s older hotel so everything was a little worn..however, the staff were friendly .the bed was comfortable and linens were clean. They had breakfast for free but we opted to sleep in..no real complaints for us. We were just ready to relax and have a nice night sleep..the rooms were comfortable size for 3adults.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Travellers also viewed these Asheville hotels
6 mi away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
Hampton Inn Asheville - Tunnel Road
The Residences at Biltmore
The Residences at Biltmore
#25 of 66 in Asheville
Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown
Doubletree Hotel Biltmore / Asheville
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Asheville Westgate, NC

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate)

Address: 199 Tunnel Road, Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC 28805-1844
Region: United States > North Carolina > North Carolina Mountains > Asheville
#5 Green Hotel in Asheville
#8 Business Hotel in Asheville
#12 Family Hotel in Asheville
#18 Romantic Hotel in Asheville
Price Range: £70 - £183 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate) 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Country Inn And Suites Asheville i-240-Tunnel Rd