Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is an average hotel - not awful but not the best place we've stayed either. We chose it because of the reviews on TripAdvisors; so maybe our expectations were raised a bit too high. It seems to be an older hotel which is in the process of being spiffed up. It is clean and reasonably priced; so it isn't as though we didn't get our money's worth. Still there were some annoyances which prevented us from rating it higher.

We didn't interact much with the staff - just the front desk when we checked in. But we weren't struck by the Southern hospitality North Carolina is famous for. We could have been in New York or California. We didn't have much of a view from our room's window, mostly blocked by a tall bluff on the south side of the hotel. The room was comfortable enough, including the king-sized bed, and the bathroom had reasonable amenities. However, the shower curtain didn't cover the entire tub, allowing water from the shower to spill on the tiled floor. And, on the morning we checked out, we found the housekeeping staff had left us only one wash cloth for the two of us to share.

The hotel is in a convenient location, 10 minutes from the Biltmore estate if that's why you're in Asheville. It's also close to shopping centers if you need do some shopping. And there are restaurants nearby for meals. Waffle House is next door to the hotel but we didn't use it. The hotel's complimentary breakfast met our need for the morning meal. The breakfast room was small but the staff laid out an appetizing selection of breakfast items. Just pay attention to the hours that breakfast is served.

We've had some trips where the hotel was the highlight of the experience but this wasn't one of those trips. It wasn't bad - just not great either. If we visit Asheville again, we may upgrade to a more expensive hotel to try to enhance our traveling experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oceallaigh
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Hello and thank you!
We are glad you took the time to share your thoughts about our property during your recent stay. I am sorry we didn't "wow" you with southern charm. That is not typical for us. It is true that views from this location are limited but we do have the conveniences of downtown and other attractions within a couple of minutes. I am glad that our minor facelift to our halls and lobbies did not cause too much inconvenience to you. We are periodically obligated to update our look per our brand's standards. I will speak to housekeeping regarding the shower curtain "fit", this is the first time we have had this issue.As for extra towels or washcloths, with a call to the front desk we will happily run any additonal items up to your room any time day or night. I am glad you enjoyed our above average complimentary breakfast. Please consider giving us another opportunity to make you feel at home next time you are in beautiful Asheville, NC.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I do not recommend this hotel. Picked this hotel based on the reviews and now, after staying there 2 nights, I wonder if we were at the same place?? A Few Pros: good location, reasonable price, great shower and bathroom lighting! Cons: VERY poor front desk staff-when I checked in, one staff was helping another couple and the second one was on the phone, she looked up at me with a grimace and said into the phone-"I'll have to call you back!" None of the desk staff ever greeted us coming or going. My husband asked for dining recommendations and the gal said-there are a bunch of them up and down the road!! Seriously??? It is also being renovated and not to great standards!! UGH!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We are very disappointed to hear that you were not thrilled with our service during your stay. Usually we are all smiles and a sincere desire to help you learn about our town. I am also sorry that you were not greeted at any time as you passed thru lobby. This is very unusual for our property. If you would consider giving us a call or sending us an email regarding this stay we would appreciate it. If we get some furthur info we can determine how to discuss this with staff members in order to improve quality and performance on our service end.
Thank you and please don't hesitate to give us another chance to make you feel at home when you are in Asheville.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I were traveling to Asheville for business.We booked this hotel using a third-party website and chose 3 stars. Once we got acknowledgment that it was this hotel I was skeptical. It has been on my list of hotels to consider. We did not have any issues trying to find the place. This hotel is located on the outskirts of downtown, but it is very easy to get downtown from there. The hotel is conveniently located to 240, downtown and the Mall.
The hotel was being renovated and all of the rooms on the first floor were being worked on. The elevator is also located at the end of the hall from the lobby and just seemed in the wrong place. Room was very clean and bed was comfortable. Toilet had a hard time flushing and had to get a plunger a couple of times.
The pool was nice and the hot tub was nice and hot!
The staff was more than friendly! They were very helpful when it came to directions and other requests.
The only other issue I had was the meeting room/business area was not available, as I spent 6 hours per day in my hotel room working, I would have liked to have had another area that I could take my work.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ondrakoc
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Hello!
We are so happy to convert a skeptic even if you did experience some issues. Thanks for taking time to post your thoughts. I am glad that the cleanliness and comfort met your expectations. I apologize for the renovation work that was in progress during your stay. It is just a facelift to the halls and common areas, though.The guest rooms are already completely renovated! As to your need for a work area, we do have a business desk available 24 hours in the main lobby. However, for a quieter spot, we might have been able to let you utilize the dining area after breakfast. Next time just ask!! The meeting rooms may have been in use, but there would be a charge for that anyway. In closing, we look forward to another visit from you soon!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We travel to Asheville quite a bit, and always stay at the more expensive locations in town. This time we decided to save some $ and tried out the Country Inn and Suites. Great location, close to downtown, River District as well as the Biltmore. The hotel has recently had a facelift, so everything looks very new, neat and clean. Breakfast was great and you couldn't ask for better empolyees, everyone was very helpful. We will stay here on our next trip to Asheville!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Laura L
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hello,
We so appreciate your kind words about your recent visit. Isn't it great to find a great rate that includes so much?! We are in a perfect central location for any of Asheville's attractions. The facelift you spoke of is ongoing just in the common areas. We are getting a sleeker, more modern feel, but still warm and inviting. We love hearing your compliments about our staff and are glad you will return to the Country inn Downtown Tunnel Rd!
Take care

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I just called to check prices and ask a few questions, and the man talking to me was incredibly rude and impatient with me. I will not be staying here simply for that reason, customer service is important and if I do not feel comfortable even talking to staff on the phone, then I will not feel comfortable staying there. Step up your staff's phone service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heather S
CarlsonRezidor, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service when calling the hotel. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

A very affordable hotel and is close to some of the tourist attractions in Asheville. I felt safe in the area. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and it was spacious and had a mini fridge. The bathroom was huge! Breakfast was an added bonus! I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jefferson_Uy
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Hello and Thank you!
What a pleasure to hear such nice comments about our property from a seasoned world traveler. Feeling safe and comfortable for an affordable price pretty well sums up travel for most folks.. Coming from someone like yourself, who has a broad range of comparisons, is a true delight for us to hear. Please make us your home away from home every time you visit the area! We love to treat you like family!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would definitely stay at this hotel again when traveling to Asheville. All rooms were newly redone and renovations are continuing. What a cozy place to be in the middle of a snowstorm! It's only 2 miles, tops, from downtown. I will be recommending this Country Inn & Suites to friends and clients.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie P
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. We are so glad you enjoyed our property and it's convenience to everything. Please visit again soon and let us make you feel at home!