and 1 more site!
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Durham, NC
“Yuck - why so many good reviews?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here thinking it would be a great place based on the good reviews found on here... Boy are they off!

The hotel just feels icky. The smell of mildew fills your nose the second you walk into the "lobby" (for lack of a better word.) The room had a terrible smell to it, too. The bathroom was gross - not very clean and visible mold. The shower head wasn't even completely attached to the wall. After all of this, there was no part of me that wanted to try the free breakfast the next morning - I got the heck out of there!

It was one of those places where after you got home, you washed EVERY SINGLE THING that you brought with you because you felt dirty.

The ONLY two redeeming things - the lady who checked us in at the front desk moved us to a room away from the elevator (after finding out we were put right next to it) without any trouble, and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hello valued guest, Let me start by saying that I am glad for the positive service you received from staff ; and that you slept well on our comfortable beds. Next let me apologize for not meeting your expectations in regards to apparent cleanliness and odors. I realize that the inital appearance of the property may have been offputting during your stay since we were redoing the lobby wallpaper. When we removed the wallpaper it did show some old water damage on the walls, but currently we do not have any mold issues. Also upon entering the lobby, most folks do smell our indoor pool area which is adjacent to lobby. As to the room smelling bad, I am disappointed that you did not let the front desk staff know so that they could change your room or address the problem. It sounds like there was an issue in your bathroom so we probably needed to do some work in there. I am so sorry the experience left you feeling less than fresh, but I do want to emphasize how unusual your response is for a stay at our location.Our housekeepers are superstars to us, and we do a detailed inspection of each room before guests arrival. Perhaps if you had rounded out your trip with a visit to our hearty free breakfast you might have seen us in a better light. Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is in a good location to downtown, the Vanderbilt estate, antique stores, etc.
Friendly. Staff, clean and spacious rooms with fridge and microwave. We had a reservation and found a discount coupon in a booklet we picked up at a rest stop. They honored it for one of our two nights. Breakfast plentiful and good. We would probably return should we be passing through again.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor (5) on back side facing woods away from elevators
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GINEEMS
Hello dear guest and thank you for your nice review! You said it well, "not the Ritz, but a good value!" We tend to agree. With a convenient location, clean large rooms, and good big breakfast, combined with friendly staff and possible discounts from the coupons, you can't really ask for more at this price point. We hope you will not just "probably return" but "definitely" return!!! Thanks again, Take care.
Lenoir, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Had an internet deal which was ok, dissappointed when I read a review of someone who found a coupon in some travel book for $30 less a nite than I paid for the same visit days.

Some visible filth on walls of shower, but otherwise clean enough but not impeccable.

A lot of reviews stated comfortable beds. I strongly disagree. Found them overly soft as if they had been overly broken in even though they appear to be somewhat new. Could hear and feel the springs, somewhat lumpy. Maybe I'm just one who prefers a more firm and supportive mattress.

Never went to breakfast, but the occasions I walked by it appeared to be very busy. But keep in mind this was usually just at the end of breakfast so it was the last minute rush.

Parking in back is not clearly marked, would've been nice if staff informed of additional parking as my first night I arrived late and parked quite a distance from front door. Elevator is quite a walk from front desk, but if I had known about rear parking could've used back entrance.

Ice machine broke down during visit, after the hike to the front desk staff told me they knew and additional machines on 3 & 4 floors (I wasn't on these floors so didn't know about the others). Since they knew, wouldn't it make sense to put an out of order sign and note the other machines? Inconvenient as I had since learned of the rear lot and was using it to avoid walking to the front.

Thought overall the hotel was somewhat hot. AC in room worked fine, but had to turn up all the way to be comfortable. Wonder how hot it would be in the middle of summer.

First trip to Asheville and thought location was convenient and room was relatively quiet. Was quiet enough that I wondered if rooms next door where even occupied. Found it rude that some guests went to the pool in bare feet and without drying off tracking water everywhere (no fault of the hotel). Someone left pizza takeout boxes in the hall late at night smelling up the hallway. How inconsiderate.

If you are someone who can sleep on anything, I think this hotel is fine for the price but for me I won't be staying again due to the uncomfortable beds.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello and thank you for reviewing our property . I will start by saying that I am glad you thought it was a good hotel for the price and the rooms were quiet. I am sorry that you missed the coupon deal, but those are honored based on availability, and may not have been able to be applied to your stay. Internet bookings do sometimes work out as a better discount, but sometimes they are higher, due to their "finder's fees". I am sorry and disappointed you found the bathroom to be less than spotless. This is quite unusual, we would have sent housekeeping up if you had let us know, or we could have changed your room.I would say this in regards to your uncomfortable bed as well. Always let the front desk know as soon as you find a problem so we can try to remedy it. Perhaps that mattress really was worn and needed replacing. As you said, most folks reviewing us absolutely love the beds.As to some of your other comments, breakfast is usually quite busy, but I wish you would have popped in for a minute to enjoy our many offerings. I am also sorry that we did not assist you better with directions to parking areas that were possibly more convenient. Generally speaking we direct guests to initially enter through the front to utilize the luggage carts. We will look into possibly putting up some more signage in regards to parking.I apologize for the inconvenience of finding the ice machine out of order. I believe we had literally just found out about that a few minutes before you did, thus we had not put a sign on it yet. Finally in reference to the hotel being hot, I truly believe that is due to the erratic temperatures our area has been dealing with lately. We have had drastic dips to cold temps at night and then it heated up in the day, so we may not have switched all the thermostats in the common areas accurately. Once again, we appreciate your comments and we encourage you to try us again in the future. Take care
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Slighty outside town, but it has a great price/quality ratio. We did have a problem with the room (a plumbing issue - no one is perfect!) but they were able to fix everything in a very short time (which makes, in my opinion, for a good valuation in efficiency).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us. I believe you got it perfect by saying you get great quality for a great price at Country inn and Suites, Tunnel Rd, Asheville. It is our goal to provide you quick and friendly service on all fronts. I am glad we addressed your bathroom issue rapidly and effectively. Thanks again for taking time to comment, and please visit us again!
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I've seen Country Inns for years, but never stayed until this past weekend. Aside from the generous Breakfast, everything seemed cheap. Cheap linens, cheap fixtures, non-working Lobby computer, questionable location, messy outside due to construction.... It was just the lesser version of what I thought would be charming and homey. Won't try again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our generous breakfast, but sorry we did not meet your expectations overall. First in regards to furnishings, linens and fixtures I would like to point out that we have to abide by and be approved through our brand standards on all such things, which literally ties our hands on these matters. As to the lobby computer, it is in need of an update for certain, but may have not been fully plugged in due to getting moved around from our renovations. The front desk would have been happy to assist you if you were experiencing difficulty with that. In regards to your feeling that we are in a "questionable location", I would beg to differ. We are on one of the main business/retail highways. We are next to and across from at least 7 other hotels , 10 to 12 chain restaurants and our extremely popular Asheville mall. That being said, we sit down and back in a sheltered spot from the road, surrounded by trees. I feel the location is very safe and comfortable for our guests and staff alike. We are trying to finish our improvements inside and out as quickly as possible, by getting some fresh landscaping and redoing our exterior. I understand that is less than pleasant to look upon while in progress. Once again thanks for the feedback, and please consider giving us another try when you are in the area.
South Haven, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is an excellent hotel for the price. We got a coupon out of the books at rest stops. The coupon was for $69 Mon-Thurs. We stayed on a Sunday night and they gave it to us anyways.
When we pulled up I was a little nervous of the parking lot. It felt a little shady. We were towing our camper with bikes on the back so that made me nervous, but everything was there in the morning.
The lobby is very nice! They are in process of remodeling and are doing a very nice job. The room was clean and very large. We set up a pack and play and still had tons of room.
We headed on down to the pool. This was the only dissapointment. Our one year old walked right in and fell. The shower is near the entrance of the room. This made the floor all wet and whatever type of tile they have is very slippery. There was another couple in there and the lady there fell too. They really need to fix this. They have non slip rugs around the far side of the pool where no one walks. I have never seen a pool with these mats around it, so they know there is an issue. Also, they say the pool is heated. If it is they do not have it up very high. It is a very cool pool and we did not stay in long.
The bed was very comfy and the pillows were great!
The breakfast was very good. I don't know what the other reviews were talking about not having enough room in the dinning area. The only thing that was dissapionting is that the coupon book sad they have breakfast burritos. I was really looking forward to that but they were not there. They did have waffles which was not mentioned in the book. I love hotel waffles!
Over all a very good stay outside of the pool. The price was great for what we got! I would stay again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hi there! And thank you for bringing to light some issues we may not have considered recently. First, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and felt the value was terrific for the price paid. I am glad we were able to honor the coupon rate for you, that would be on an availablility basis of course. Typically we only will honor that rate Monday thru Thursday , depending on availability. I am thankful you brought the error on the coupon to our attention concerning the breakfast burritos, we will work on amending that info. I am also glad you found the bed and pillows to be comfortable and breakfast to be good. Now, as for your baby slipping and falling, please let me tell you how sincerely sorry I am for that! As a parent myself, I know that it hurts you almost as much as your child. I am not sure if you folks reported the incident at the time, but for the future I would strongly recommend you let management know so we can file and keep an incident report on the matter. I am sorry to learn that you witnessed another guest also slip. This definitely is a major concern for us, and we will deal with it immediately, especially as summer approaches and more people will be using the pool. Finally, in regards to the parking lot which may have felt less than secure to you upon arrival, I do want to assure everyone reading this that we do have some security cameras trained on the parking lot that are in good working order. Although, we are NOT liable for any thing occuring in the parking lot, we are concerned for our guests' safety and security. We are set back from the road and beside a steep hill, so the lot actually does appear "shady" if you will, because it is kind of hidden from the road. We are located on a major business route, with many business around us, several which are open 24 hours. I think this fact actually deters would- be prowlers. We have had no problems with criminal activites at this location. Once again thank you for your kind words and I close with the hopes that your little one is doing great !!!!