Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was undergoimg some remodeling on the fist floor which did not cause to much of disruption. The rooms could have been a little better but the staff was friendly and helpful. Overall it was not a bad stay for the price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hello dear guest,

Thanks for taking a minute to give us feedback about your stay! We are all anxious to have renovations finished and I am so happy the work in progress was not disruptive to you!I am sorry we didn't seem to entirely meet your expectations with the room but feel your comment that it was good for the price says it all. Above all, our staff was friendly and helpful and that is one of our main objectives! Please return and let us make you feel right at home.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you’re heading to Asheville and don’t mind driving to downtown, you should consider Country Inn & Suites. Our room was a true suite (bedroom with door), with plenty of room for a luggage rack on either side of the TV in the bedroom. In the living room, there was another small TV, plus a microwave, mini-fridge, desk, and foldout couch. The room was clean, with a good bed, strong shower, and spacious bathroom. We had to keep the fan on during the night, however, because we kept hearing what sounded like an AC unit turn off and on at odd intervals.
The location is great. You’re only about 10 minutes from downtown Asheville and maybe 20 minutes to the Biltmore, with easy access to the interstates. The free breakfast is pretty limited (and packed in a tight area near the lobby), but there is a Waffle House next door and a nearby IHOP if you need quick alternatives.
During our three-night stay in May, the Country Inn was under renovation. As a result, a little disorder around the common areas was not surprising, but the improvements I saw were very nice. The lobby was cozy and inviting. I used the small fitness room once – the machines were well maintained, but management should add a water cooler.
The indoor pool was refreshing but way too salty, so much so that we had to buy goggles so my daughter could swim in it after the first day (her eyes were irritated for hours after she got out of the pool). The tile around the pool is also very slippery. Management has wisely placed safety mats around much of the perimeter, but should probably add more.
They have nice folks, too; we were moved up to the third floor (our original room was on the first floor very close to the indoor pool) without an attitude. The workers performing the renovations were also very courteous.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor next to the fitness center, as your window is right near a walkway to and from...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mpescatore

Thank you valued guest! We truly appreciate your thoughts on our property. As you did note we are just wrapping up some renovations to the common areas, and I glad you were not inconvenienced by that. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your room's bed, shower and space to relax. I do apologize for the noisy ac unit, and clearly we will need to keep improving on that issue as we go into summer! The location here is so perfect for anything you came to town to enjoy. As you saw, everyone wants to get in on the free hot breakfast, so it does get congested for a minute. We do actually have an overflow dining area now availbable since the renovations are finished. This may not have been open during your stay.I will share thoughts with the gm about getting a water cooler for the fitness room.I will also share your comments about the saltiness of the pool. I have not heard this before, so perhaps it was a one time error. We actually have a system that monitors our pools' saline, chlorine levels, etc. so perhaps we did not get the information from the system in a timely manner. Thanks so much for noting that the staff was happy to change your room to fit your needs. Please return soon!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We check in Saturday afternoon. We had a wedding at the Biltmore that night. We chose the hotel for the proximity to the Biltmore. The let us check in early which was nice. The lobby was very nice and modern. The elevators were a bit of a distance from the lobby. The rugs were old looking. I am not sure if they were going to renovate the rest of the hotel. We were on the second floor with a scenic view of the roof. The a/c in the room was very loud and woke me several times during the night. The bed was a bit on the bouncy side but I think because I am used to our memory foam bed. It wasn't bad. There is no ice machine on the second floor so we headed down to the first floor for ice. That machine was broken. We walked all the way back to the lobby to find out that there is an ice machine on the third floor. I would think the out of order sign would have mentioned that. We were checking out on Sunday and I would assume housekeeping would have known that. We did not bother to put the do not disturb sign on the door because of that. At 9:30- housekeeping used their key to enter our room. I had just gotten out of the shower. Thank goodness we had the door latch on. She apologized and exited the room. We went down to breakfast. The did have a large selection. The eggs I am assuming were powdered eggs. I know a powdered egg when I see one because that is what the hospital I worked at served. The waffles were good. The potatoes were dry as it seemed they were sitting forever. All in all, it was ok. I don't think I would choose that particular hotel again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for taking time to share some feedback about our property here in Asheville, NC. I am glad that our staff was able to get you checked in early for your function that afternoon. I am also glad the updated look of our lobby was appealing to you. In reference to the old, worn rugs, I am pleased to inform all reading this that we have completely replaced all of them in the past week! I am also happy to report that no furthur renovation will be done at this property except our dining area in the next few months. All sleeping rooms were previously renovated in the past year.Views are not necessarily one of our best features due to our location in a business area on a major roadway. I do apologize for the noisy ac, and your bed was not as comfy as you are used to. We will use your comments on such matters to keep improving our product. I am sorry for the signage on broken ice machine not being more clear on alternatives. I also am very sorry that the housekeeper intruded on you, we will review procedure with staff concerning this.I am glad that you enjoyed our free hot breakfast for the most part, with exception to the eggs and potatoes. Please give us another try if you return to our beautiful little city in the mountains!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

At the last minute we tried to book a B&B but they were all full so we chose this budget hotel. We were pleasantly surpassed. It is very clean and they have amenities not many budget hotels have. We had been camping for over a week so we found their guest laundry worked well for us. they offer free WiFi, free hot breakfast with several choices, as well as a pool and spa. I was particularly impressed with the cleanliness and the helpfulness of the staff. We will seek out these Carlson Inns in the future.

1  Thank bjgiff

Hello and thank you for such nice feedback about our property. I am glad you had to "settle" for us and got to see how great we really are. I am sure you were more than ready for a little comfort after a week of camping.We do really love offering all the perks like free hot breakfast and free wifi. I am especially pleased that you found the cleanliness of the property above your expectations. And of course we definitely aim to have a friendly and helpful staff, so glad we impressed you!

Come back soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We really appreciated the kindness of the staff and the comfort of our beds after an emergency room visit to Mission Hospital at 3:00 in the morning for 19yr old daughter. We had to leave the mountain area home we were at with medical issues in middle of night so we had been up all night and she was released before 11:00am that same morning. We had used Priceline for the next night's visit to this Country Inn with plans we should've been visiting the Biltmore. Called ahead and explained ER visit and the female answering phone was very kind and said no problem to immediately come over so we could get her to bed rest. Arrived and they kindly upgraded us to 1 2 bed suite with pull out couch instead of the king bed we had first been assigned. We were able to close the blinds and door to blacken the room and fell into much needed sleep and rest the entire day. Later had our own tv in bedroom and dad had his in couch area. Daughter said after leaving the beds there were the most comfortable she had ever felt and she felt very comforted in a bad situation. Needless to say we missed the Biltmore and saw a little bit of Asheville near the Woolworth Walk area as she was able to walk just for a bit. Loved what we did see of Asheville and want to come back for an entire week there next visit. Thanks for making an emergency situation very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JillandMegan
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Hello dear guest,

I am so thankful that we were able to provide some peace and comfort to you while you were dealing with a scary and stressful time. I certainly hope your daughter has fully recovered or is in progress. We do get reports from guests all the time about how comfy the beds are so I am very pleased your daughter felt the same! Especially after dealing with illness/injury. We do sincerely care about our guests, and I am glad our overnight staff demonstrated this at the time of yiour need. Please do return for a more relaxing and extended stay ! All the best to you and your family!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here thinking it would be a great place based on the good reviews found on here... Boy are they off!

The hotel just feels icky. The smell of mildew fills your nose the second you walk into the "lobby" (for lack of a better word.) The room had a terrible smell to it, too. The bathroom was gross - not very clean and visible mold. The shower head wasn't even completely attached to the wall. After all of this, there was no part of me that wanted to try the free breakfast the next morning - I got the heck out of there!

It was one of those places where after you got home, you washed EVERY SINGLE THING that you brought with you because you felt dirty.

The ONLY two redeeming things - the lady who checked us in at the front desk moved us to a room away from the elevator (after finding out we were put right next to it) without any trouble, and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
cx_aatr, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville Downtown Tunnel Road (Biltmore Estate), responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Hello valued guest, Let me start by saying that I am glad for the positive service you received from staff ; and that you slept well on our comfortable beds. Next let me apologize for not meeting your expectations in regards to apparent cleanliness and odors. I realize that the inital appearance of the property may have been offputting during your stay since we were redoing the lobby wallpaper. When we removed the wallpaper it did show some old water damage on the walls, but currently we do not have any mold issues. Also upon entering the lobby, most folks do smell our indoor pool area which is adjacent to lobby. As to the room smelling bad, I am disappointed that you did not let the front desk staff know so that they could change your room or address the problem. It sounds like there was an issue in your bathroom so we probably needed to do some work in there. I am so sorry the experience left you feeling less than fresh, but I do want to emphasize how unusual your response is for a stay at our location.Our housekeepers are superstars to us, and we do a detailed inspection of each room before guests arrival. Perhaps if you had rounded out your trip with a visit to our hearty free breakfast you might have seen us in a better light. Take care.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is in a good location to downtown, the Vanderbilt estate, antique stores, etc.
Friendly. Staff, clean and spacious rooms with fridge and microwave. We had a reservation and found a discount coupon in a booklet we picked up at a rest stop. They honored it for one of our two nights. Breakfast plentiful and good. We would probably return should we be passing through again.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor (5) on back side facing woods away from elevators
1  Thank GINEEMS

Hello dear guest and thank you for your nice review! You said it well, "not the Ritz, but a good value!" We tend to agree. With a convenient location, clean large rooms, and good big breakfast, combined with friendly staff and possible discounts from the coupons, you can't really ask for more at this price point. We hope you will not just "probably return" but "definitely" return!!! Thanks again, Take care.