“newly updated and very nice”

Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East
Ranked #36 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The Quality Inn Biltmore East is a recently renovated hotel about 6 miles from downtown Asheville. The room was very clean, as was the breakfast area. There were no interior hallways, and you had to walk outside to get to the lobby and breakfast area for the ok continental breakfast. The 40" flat screen TV's had a lousy picture, but I wasn't here to watch TV. Located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, the hotel makes for easy exploring of the area. We used the hotel as our base for 2 nites. Price was right, no need to stay downtown anyway.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed overnight May 19-20. Found this hotel as a last minute effort and thankfully it turned out to be a good choice. I have never stayed at a Quality Inn before but would consider them again in the future.

The hotel: clean, quiet, and comfortable. It's an outside hotel - usually hotels you can get to your room via elevator. Not here - you have to walk outside to your room. No big deal to me, some ppl might actually prefer that to having a hallway. Sometimes hallways contain unusual odors, so I was okay with walking directly outside.

The room was just like it mentioned online - I think we had a queen size bed, large flat screen tv with working HD channels, lamps provided great lighting, a closet, nightstand, the bathroom was very spacious and had a floor length mirror off to the left which I loved. The room and bathroom was super clean which was a plus for me. Shower/tub was clean and worked well. The room didn't have any odor or anything but I always take a plug in or something just in case. The AC worked well too. Even though the room opened up to the road the night was pretty peaceful in quiet. It didn't seem like a loud neighborhood.

The hotel was right off the interstated adjacent to gas stations. It had a swimming pool. laundry facilty for guests, small busiiness area, and dining area for breakfast. Ample parking available too.

Breakfast: 2 waffle makers, sausage, biscuit and gravy, yogurt, fresh fruit, oatmeal, hot chocolate, coffee, muffins, danish, bagels, assortment of cereal, juice station (apple, orange, cranberry). There were adequate tables for seating.

Front desk: clerk was nice and pleasant checking in and checking out. Since I was new to the area he was very helpful in describing things to do.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Extremely clean, quiet. The bed was good but not great - about what you'd expect for this price range. I liked it that all the doors open to the outside and not a hallway. The breakfast has sausage and boiled eggs which is nice for a protein person. Friendly, helpful staff except for one guy who never smiled. Coffee and tea always available, nice bonus. Free wifi worked well. Very nice place to rest. Also, convenient to both Asheville and Black Mountain.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was our third or fourth return visit, and we found that our room was completely new, as are most in the complex now. The beds are first rate, the bath is all new, and it is quiet. Our room was an "accessible" room with a "zero edge" shower that seemed to lack the bracket that would hold the shower head in place - an odd oversight that caused lots of wet floors. It also had a tiny "wardrobe" instead of a closet rack. In our 5 day visit, housekeeping missed replacing the tea and coffee "service" packets, once. Otherwise everything was perfect. Rates are reasonable for this overpriced town. Didn't try the breakfast service

Room Tip: Avoid the "handicapped" room if you don't really need it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel was a great deal. Clean, inexpensive, and easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway and downtown Asheville. Included a simple hot breakfast that was good for the room rate. We will make this our regular base camp for our hiking trips and general Asheville weekends.

Room Tip: Splurge for the suites, good value!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great king size room with a whirlpool tub, large bathroom, flat screen & frig. Good value for the area. Asheville can be expensive hotel-wise, so this was a pleasant surprise. Good customer service too.

Room Tip: The double rooms are not as nice as the king room. We stayed in the Blue Ridge Suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel was very easy to find and right off the interstate, but not close enough where any highway noise was audible. It is about 7-8 minute drive from downtown Asheville and two minutes from an entry to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The entry is clearly marked and the check in area was clean and inviting. The check in process was smooth and easy and the desk clerk, Steve, was very personable and professional. There was no difference in his attitude just because I had a room through Priceline. I mention this only as some past experiences seem like some hotels offer Priceline customers the worst room in the house and a different, less professional experience because they got their room through Priceline. Steve displayed courtesy and professionalism and treated me like I was renting the suite.

The room was a very surprisingly clean and updated room, and I felt a great value especially since I got it through Priceline. Other than a bulky a/c unit that protrudes in the room, the entire and I mean entire remainder of the room appeared to be that of a brand new hotel. This facility had been going through renovations the last year and is evidently about 75% complete. I think the remaining units undergoing the last phase are not available to rent out while it is being refurbished, so I think all units currently available are only those already refurbished. The hotel did a great job. My room with two double beds was very, very nice. The bath for example has cultured marble type walls and I believe a steel tub… they did not go the route of those all in one fiberglass units. From the curved shower curtain rod to the new tiled floor, to the new commodes, it was all new and quite nice. My unit had a small fridge (I had to turn up the cooling control dial) and a small microwave. All furniture seemed relatively new as well. The unit had a large flat screen tv with an off brand name, but picture was good. However, the HD channel selection was very limited and other channels appeared stretched out to fill the screen. I wish there had been a online TV guide which I did not find.

TIP: I have read that in hotels, the TV remote is usually the one item that has the most germs, and is seldom cleaned by the maid staff. So, many hotels have plastic water glasses that are wrapped in sealed plastic wrap. I carefully open one end and remove the cup, and I use the plastic wrap as a “glove” that I place over the remote. It is usually a strong and durable plastic, clear and easy to see all keys, but I never have to touch the remote and it still functions easily and accurately.

The bed was comfy and clean; I did my usual bedbug check under the covers just in case and saw nothing but clean fresh sheets. I do dislike the three mini pillows they put on each bed as I prefer a regular sized pillow. The unit had very good lighting for those that read and it had a fairly good sized desk in the corner with three , yes three separate AC outlets around the desk for a total of 6 different plugs available, not to mention easily accessible plugs in the bath and by the front door. If anyone has lots of electronics to charge, they will be happy here! I have been in many “higher branded hotels” and struggled to find one available outlet, much less the six or eight available in my room here.

My only issue was that as a motor lodge type facility, where the cars park outside the door, I heard a few groups of people talking when they arrived in the wee morning hours. Yes, the same can be heard in hallways of many hotels, but it did seem rather louder here. People opening doors and car trunks in the morning were also noticeable. It is amazing how many hotel patrons sometimes do not seem to think that others may still be resting and slamming of room and car doors is not necessary.

Next door to the hotel is a gas station/ convenience store that also has a Subway built into it and was a 75 yard walk from my unit’s front door. I was able to get a mug of milk and a snack before going to bed. The surrounding area felt quite safe and very well lit. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe at all.

The free breakfast offered included make your own waffles (good!) hot sausages and sausage gravy and biscuits, (ok) a very decent selection of fresh fruit, a few different brands of individual sized boxes of cereal, (not those bulk dispensers) and fresh bagels and individually wrapped Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. They also had a decent selection of Activia yogurt and a fruit drink dispenser. Coffee was good and hot. The employee who worked in this area, relentlessly kept it all filled and fresh as she constantly refilled coffer, hot items, bagels and the like. For a Sunday morning crowd, she kept it all filled and clean.

Truthfully, I had not been a fan of Quality Inns in the past and was rather disappointed at first when I had won a Priceline bid at a Q inn. But my actual experience was quite the contrary and I have found my pre judgment to be way off. I will be happy to win a room bid here in the future, although next time I may request a room on the second floor or even in the back of the facility just to avoid the extra noise from those that stay out late to party and then return to the hotel in a rather loud and talkative mood while I am trying to sleep. I guess I have rambled on too much, but I hope this review helps others to make a decision on their hotel room needs. I would feel fine recommending this hotel to a family member or trusted friend.

Room Tip: I suggest a room on the 2nd floor or towards the rear of facility, noise from other customers may b...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo