“A Good Place to Stay”

Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Connecticut
“A Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed 6 August 2008

The Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East was an absolutely average Quality Inn. It was clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, and everything worked. Above that, there was really nothing to speak of. I would definitely recommend this hotel considering that the breakfast was very good and plentiful, and the staff was friendly. However, if you want to be closer to the main part of the city, or if you want an air conditioner with more settings (ours was either very strong or very weak), this might not be the best choice. Even so, this hotel is perfectly acceptable for a stay in Asheville, NC.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank walkingtraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Gurnee, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I booked though choice hotels and requested two rooms with ajoining door which I was told would be no problem. When we got to the hotel we were told that the only rooms they had like that was one room with one bed and the other room with two single beds, we were a party of five, so this was not acceptable. Also we has our two dogs and were told this was a pet friendly hotel, but the was only a small strip of grass at the front of the hotel to walk the dogs, and several times when I took them there the sprinklers would come on as soon as we stepped onto the grass.

Also the room we were given has what was called two double beds but they were very small and my husband and I had spent sleepless nights in this room.

The carpets were very dirty and the fridge was was small. I usually do not complain about hotels but this was just the pits.

Also every moring when I would go to the lobby for coffee the employees of the hotel would always be in line for two or three cups of coffee each.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unwillingness of staff to accommodate our needs
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Asheville hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2008

This hotel was okay, but the sheets were old and stained. The location was reasonably convenient.

• Stayed July 2008
Sugar Land Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I usually don't care for motel type hotels but this was very nice. Room appeared to be new and was well appointed. Staff and breakfast were both great. Be sure to get your Biltmore tickets at the hotel as they are a two day pass for only $45.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Iowa
Reviewed 5 July 2008

This motel was very busy because it is possibly the least expensive motel in Asheville that includes breakfast. The price is the best thing about it. Our check-in was slow and one of the rooms they gave us smelled so bad no one could stay in it. They moved us to another room that was not the type we reserved. Parking is problematic when the place is full. Breakfast was OK but a little slow keeping it stocked. We only used the rooms for sleeping and cleaning up. Rooms are small and housekeeping was marginal. Beds were OK. Parking lot is very bright and we had to pin the drapes together to keep them shut to keep the light out. Lady at the desk was not very knowledgeable about tourist attractions other than the Biltmore. We did buy our Biltmore tickets at the motel and got a better deal than if we had bought them at the Biltmore. This motel has a second story and there is no elevator. We did not use the outdoor pool, so I can't comment on it.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — small room, stairs, parking
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Colorado
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I'm not a big fan of motel-type, exterior-corridor properties nowadays, given that lots of Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, and other low-end chains have interior-corridor properties. More convenient and better security. However, this property was a nice surprise for the price. Very attractive decor, bright clean whites and blue trim outside and in the room, generally cheery and attractive.

The bed was more comfortable than most motels/low-end hotels, and was the best bed I've gotten at any of the Choice Hotel chain properties (including Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Sleep Inn). No, it's not as good as a Hampton bed and nowhere near as good as Hilton, Doubletree, Sheraton, or Westin beds, but you don't expect that at a motel. Very comfortable bed.

For about half the price of the nearby Hampton, this was a perfectly good place to spend the night while on the road. It also is convenient to Asheville attractions for a couple of days stay if that's on the agenda.

Parking is tight here. There are two buildings, and not lots of space between them. I arrived late, after midnight, and was lucky to find a spot big enough for my van anywhere near my room. If you're hauling a trailer or in an RV, you might not be able to park it here at all, certainly not if you arrive late.

Breakfast was quite decent for a Choice Hotels low-end chain property. They had both the yummy waffle makers and also had two hot dishes with a mini-omelet and sausage patties. Usually you don't see both an egg/meat offering and a waffle maker at one of these brands.

Staff was ok but not overly responsive. I had to push to get another room when the clerk started explaining that the lock on my door was hard to open. I should have been given the room that was not problematic from the start. Room itself had a microwave and mini-fridge, again things I didn't expect for this class of property. Bathroom was quite large, with loads of sink counter space. Wi-Fi worked fine - no connection problems, clear instructions on a card on the desk, and good speed.

There was a mixup on my reservation, involving both the wrong credit card and not having my professional organization discount on the rate, even though both items were correct in my booking made at choicehotels.com. I don't know if this was the fault of the property or Choice Hotels' system, but I had to push a bit to get this all corrected. However, I did get my rate corrected and all was well.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
North Carolina
Reviewed 11 May 2008

I've stayed in only one other Quality Inn, and this one was not quite as nice, though it was adequate. It is not actually a hotel, but rather a motel, so the $85 that I paid seemed a bit on the high end, though not outrageously unreasonable. The location is about 5 miles east of the Biltmore Estate exit on I-40, and it is about a 10 minute drive from downtown, so it is a decent location for those interested in doing various things in Asheville but not wanting to stay near the heart of things. The room was nice and clean. The breakfast was typical mid-budget hotel fare, including the standard carbs (waffle-maker, bagles, yogurt, a couple of cereals); the addition of eggs and sausage patties for breakfast (and cookies in the lobby during off hours) was an advantage. Check-in was relatively easy, although there was a fairly long line with only one person manning the front desk; it took less than 10 minutes to check in, though, and the reception host was friendly. All in all, I would rate this as an average middle-of-the-road hotel with no significant flaws but not much else to make it stand out as great.

• Stayed May 2008