“The most dirty room we had in the USA during our trip”

The Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #33 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2013

A late arrivel in town and no availibility in other places was the reasen we slept in this motel.
When I asked the manager if the room was ok he answered it was a beautifull room. So I payed and that was stumperd of me. We had a very dirty room. Nonsmoking room with an ashtray and burned cigaretwholes in the blankets. The smell was awfull and the dust on the the lamps and furniture dated from the other century! No cleaned window, armchair with spots. Is was so squared to sleep in the bed... But I payed in advance more than 90 dollars. The breakfast in the office was the best thing: toast with jam and bananas and coffee. When I told the lady at the desk this room needed a huge cleaning, she did not react. So, I like to waren other tourists for this.....
This was a nightmare for me, fortunately for one night.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before paying, from now on I do if there is doubt!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DivinaSan
There are newer reviews for The Mountaineer Inn

Reviewed 5 July 2013

...but its not. There's a lot of potential here, but its wasted. The rooms are dirty the beds are horrible, even for cheap motel standards. It is however close to downtown and quick and cheap to get a cab if you're looking for a night of partying. The value is lost though when you come back to your room and pull back the sheets to find little black specks and a sheet that looks like it has oil stains on it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed here for a night in Asheville on a road trip with my dog. The rate was $50 plus a $25 pet fee (which was the most expensive pet fee I paid out of the 4 motels I stayed in during the trip, making this motel the most expensive one of the trip). The room lacked amenities that the other cheap motels had. The room smelled a bit musty and the carpet wasn't the cleanest (heck, it was even bumped up in parts from being overly stretched). The air conditioner was loud. The curtains did a poor job at blocking light (there were 2 tracks and only the outer track had curtains). The fridge was a cube fridge, as seen in a college dorm.

I am not the type of person who usually cares about these things, but even for a cheap motel (and I regularly stay in cheap motels), it was below average. It had a pool, which was lacking water. I don't know if this is normal or just because it was before Memorial Day (even though it had been above 80 before it rained that night). There was a continental breakfast, which didn't look spectacular, but I got a banana out of the deal, which was good.

Other than the room, the service was fine. The people at the front desk were helpful and pleasant. But they need to do some renovations before I'll consider giving it a higher rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RunawayJimPVD
Reviewed 14 May 2013

A couple of friends and I decided to head to Asheville for the weekend, while on a business trip in the US. Not wanting to spend too much money and not having much time to look for hotels online, we booked the Mountaineer Inn. Well, upon arrival we were kind of astonished that it was still open. The front part of the hotel looked run-down and had signs of not trespassing. The reception area/ breakfast room was welcoming. The owner (nice old Greek) has been running the motel with his wife for probably 40-50 years. If you have time and interest, he surely will tell you all about it. Also, when you have seen him, you kind of "warm" to the way the motel complex and its bedrooms are furnished.

Our bedroom consisted of two beds, a wardrobe, an old tv, a bathroom/ kitchen/ toilet. It was very kitsch, I have to say and reminded me of good old East Germany, as the furnishings must date to at least the 60's if not earlier. The carpet is in desperate need of an update, the beds as well as the bathrooms also could do with a make-over. We had to have the heating on during the night, as it was freezing. The shower was hot, which was nice but one felt like not touching much, in case it would fall off.

The breakfast surprised us, with different types of breads and bagels, coffee, tea and juice as well as fruit. Nothing posh but it will start the day.

At first we could not have imagined, staying one night there but then made the most of it and saw the funny side of things of staying there.

If you want a cheap stay, knowing you will be out most of the time, this place will do. For someone with cleanliness issues and comfort search, avoid. It's cheap, good location, quiet. I'd give it 1 star. The owner said, they'd be looking to renovate, so providing that they do and update the rooms a bit, it could be a really hip place.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I am not sure how this place has gotten any more than 1 star. 1 Star is more than generous in my opinion. My husband and I checked in at midnight on a Sunday. The first floor room we had requested had not been assigned but the clerk fixed that quickly so this was fine. When we got to the room, the very threadbare carpet looked like it had not been vacuumed in months. The beds were very old and the mattresses looked like they were over 25 years old. The toilet did not flush, the T.V had lost its volume knob and looked like it was a throwback to the 70's with horrible reception. The sheets were covered in a dirty substance that made me wish I had brought a sleeping bag. All in all, I have had cleaner rooms when I rented a cabin and camped. If it had not been so late we would have checked out immediately. As it was, we were supposed to stay 3 nights but were out as soon as morning came. At $59 this was not a bargain. $20 dollars would have been a more appropriate rate. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wren F
Reviewed 15 March 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Cheryl B
Reviewed 24 February 2013

You can get rooms here for $40-50 a night. You get what you pay for. The mattresses were old and not well padded. The room I had was in the newer rear section, which looks to be built in the 70's and not updated since. Obviously at $40 a night, there's not allot for precise maintenance. If you're a picky, neatfreak, cheap traver, this isn't your place. If you're just looking for a cheap place to lay your head for the night and stay close in town, your money buys you a bed and a hot shower. I could be much worse, but the staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo