“The hotel that made me realize I must have standards after all.”

The Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #34 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

This is my bad review here, but dare I say it was earned. And if you read my other hotel reviews, you'll see that I was bitten by an unknown bug in the dark at a Days Inn in Virginia and I still recommended it so I'm not exactly a diva. My story:

I booked my room for $50 a few weeks in advance. Great price for Asheville, with great-looking photos of the hotel. Bad reviews interspersed, but honestly if you care more about kitschy character and value than pseudo-spas, bad reviews roll off your back. And upon arriving at the hotel, my hopes appeared justified - the neon and gigantic Jed Clampettish guy with the serious character formation flaws gave it the Hillbilly Route 66 vibe I wanted.

Then I went to check in. There were a few others waiting. The elderly lady working informed me I was "out of luck", that they were out of rooms. When I told her I had a reservation, she gave me a dead look back and repeated. However one of the guys waiting was not actually checking in but handing back keys for a room that he refused to stay in - Room 129. This became my only shot, on a night when apparently every other hotel in Asheville was booked. Gotta love that choice. The old lady at the desk made a comment that the rejection probably happened because 129 was on a lower level. (In retrospect, I can't tell if she was in denial or just being cynical.) So I booked it.

The good: the room looks just as kitschy as you'd hope - wood paneling, a 30-year-old Zenith tv, screen doors, etc.

The bad:
- the room had a HORRIBLE smell. Couldn't tell if it was moisture in the carpet (as the carpet all over the room was wet) or mold. Toilet seat had dark coloration that at least suggested latter. I survived by breathing through my mouth. My wife later said, "I've stayed in places where my safety has been at risk, but this is the first time I've stayed at a place where my health is at risk!"
- My kids had fallen asleep on the drive so I laid them on the bed as is. I got in the other bed and felt dirt under the pillow. I also felt dirt throughout the night as I shifted - unprompted, my 7-year-old reported the same from her bed later the next day. My wife and I decided to sleep with our clothes on to be safe.
- in the middle of the night, my wife heard a buzzing that turned out to be a bee or wasp in the room. (I guess the former based on other reviews.) She trapped it in the bathroom and with that we said to each other, ENOUGH.

As soon as our kids showed signs of waking the next morning, we rushed them out of bed and straight into the car. Keys dropped off at the front and we were off. No matter what, our day was guaranteed to improve from there.

From reviews, there are apparently good and bad rooms, and not all are this bad. If that's the case, this place should do us all a favor and just shut down the 129-style rooms, or offer them at a $5 "buyer beware" rate or something. I will NEVER give them another chance. And geez, if someone reserves a room then for goodness sake just hold the room! Or call if a phone number is listed before you potentially ruin someone's night.

This place looks great from the outside, but it's deeply flawed internally. Let's hope some of that mountain air cleans out these people's senses.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank ScottInPTC-GA

Reviewed 21 July 2013

A late arrivel in town and no availibility in other places was the reasen we slept in this motel.
When I asked the manager if the room was ok he answered it was a beautifull room. So I payed and that was stumperd of me. We had a very dirty room. Nonsmoking room with an ashtray and burned cigaretwholes in the blankets. The smell was awfull and the dust on the the lamps and furniture dated from the other century! No cleaned window, armchair with spots. Is was so squared to sleep in the bed... But I payed in advance more than 90 dollars. The breakfast in the office was the best thing: toast with jam and bananas and coffee. When I told the lady at the desk this room needed a huge cleaning, she did not react. So, I like to waren other tourists for this.....
This was a nightmare for me, fortunately for one night.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before paying, from now on I do if there is doubt!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DivinaSan
Reviewed 5 July 2013

...but its not. There's a lot of potential here, but its wasted. The rooms are dirty the beds are horrible, even for cheap motel standards. It is however close to downtown and quick and cheap to get a cab if you're looking for a night of partying. The value is lost though when you come back to your room and pull back the sheets to find little black specks and a sheet that looks like it has oil stains on it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed here for a night in Asheville on a road trip with my dog. The rate was $50 plus a $25 pet fee (which was the most expensive pet fee I paid out of the 4 motels I stayed in during the trip, making this motel the most expensive one of the trip). The room lacked amenities that the other cheap motels had. The room smelled a bit musty and the carpet wasn't the cleanest (heck, it was even bumped up in parts from being overly stretched). The air conditioner was loud. The curtains did a poor job at blocking light (there were 2 tracks and only the outer track had curtains). The fridge was a cube fridge, as seen in a college dorm.

I am not the type of person who usually cares about these things, but even for a cheap motel (and I regularly stay in cheap motels), it was below average. It had a pool, which was lacking water. I don't know if this is normal or just because it was before Memorial Day (even though it had been above 80 before it rained that night). There was a continental breakfast, which didn't look spectacular, but I got a banana out of the deal, which was good.

Other than the room, the service was fine. The people at the front desk were helpful and pleasant. But they need to do some renovations before I'll consider giving it a higher rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RunawayJimPVD
Reviewed 14 May 2013

A couple of friends and I decided to head to Asheville for the weekend, while on a business trip in the US. Not wanting to spend too much money and not having much time to look for hotels online, we booked the Mountaineer Inn. Well, upon arrival we were kind of astonished that it was still open. The front part of the hotel looked run-down and had signs of not trespassing. The reception area/ breakfast room was welcoming. The owner (nice old Greek) has been running the motel with his wife for probably 40-50 years. If you have time and interest, he surely will tell you all about it. Also, when you have seen him, you kind of "warm" to the way the motel complex and its bedrooms are furnished.

Our bedroom consisted of two beds, a wardrobe, an old tv, a bathroom/ kitchen/ toilet. It was very kitsch, I have to say and reminded me of good old East Germany, as the furnishings must date to at least the 60's if not earlier. The carpet is in desperate need of an update, the beds as well as the bathrooms also could do with a make-over. We had to have the heating on during the night, as it was freezing. The shower was hot, which was nice but one felt like not touching much, in case it would fall off.

The breakfast surprised us, with different types of breads and bagels, coffee, tea and juice as well as fruit. Nothing posh but it will start the day.

At first we could not have imagined, staying one night there but then made the most of it and saw the funny side of things of staying there.

If you want a cheap stay, knowing you will be out most of the time, this place will do. For someone with cleanliness issues and comfort search, avoid. It's cheap, good location, quiet. I'd give it 1 star. The owner said, they'd be looking to renovate, so providing that they do and update the rooms a bit, it could be a really hip place.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I am not sure how this place has gotten any more than 1 star. 1 Star is more than generous in my opinion. My husband and I checked in at midnight on a Sunday. The first floor room we had requested had not been assigned but the clerk fixed that quickly so this was fine. When we got to the room, the very threadbare carpet looked like it had not been vacuumed in months. The beds were very old and the mattresses looked like they were over 25 years old. The toilet did not flush, the T.V had lost its volume knob and looked like it was a throwback to the 70's with horrible reception. The sheets were covered in a dirty substance that made me wish I had brought a sleeping bag. All in all, I have had cleaner rooms when I rented a cabin and camped. If it had not been so late we would have checked out immediately. As it was, we were supposed to stay 3 nights but were out as soon as morning came. At $59 this was not a bargain. $20 dollars would have been a more appropriate rate. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wren F
Reviewed 15 March 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Cheryl B